Who will be the Republican Nominee for President (post Cain)

Started by Viking, December 03, 2011, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2011, 07:24:31 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 11, 2011, 05:18:54 PM
I look at Ron Paul similar to Dennis Kucinich. They're not going to be Presidential contenders, but they do have some good ideas, along with the off the wall ideas. But they both stick to their ideas, support their views, and with little flip flopping around. So I can respect that I know where they stand on things, and that they are consistent on their views and stances on issues.

Name one good idea Kucinich has ever had.

Ron Paul is very sincere about the deficit and I would be okay with his neo-isolationsim.  His gold standard nonsense has to go though.
I can't recall Kucinich's ideas now, but I went from just dismissing him outright to liking some of his ideas, and how he sticks to them, doesn't waffle. Now, he's a bit of a fruit in other ways, as Grumbler points out also, but he's one of these guys who has a few new/different ideas (the non-nutty ideas) that other candidates don't seem to say, probably because they're afraid of rocking the political boat.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2011, 07:33:24 PM
And his Libertarian fascism to health care is a dead end.  You have the right to die even if you don't want to, and we have a right to make you exercise that right, is a bit much.
How could your system be any worse?  Does Ron Paul want to strip poor people down to fill the organ banks or something?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: KRonn on December 11, 2011, 08:09:31 PM
I can't recall Kucinich's ideas now

Creating a Department of Peace and impeaching Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeldt, that Mexican dude, and Obama.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2011, 08:04:53 PMSo again - he's not really legit then?
Entirely legit.  He's not the legitimate voice of the Republicans but they are large and contain multitudes. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2011, 08:17:37 PM

Creating a Department of Peace and impeaching Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeldt, that Mexican dude, and Obama.

Also voting against the Iraq War.  Apparently he did a good job in Cleveland, not for the Mob though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Reparations for slavery.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2011, 07:18:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2011, 02:40:13 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 11, 2011, 02:13:00 PM
Can we just agree that Ron Paul is not going to be the Republican Presidential nominee and move along?
He can still win it, if he can manage to overcome the media blackout, and have the majority of voters find out about him and his ideas.

No he can't, because once the majority of voters find out about him and his ideas, they'll realize how incredibly batshit insane they actually are.
Ron Paul supporters don't think so.  Given how they're familiar with Paul and what he stands for, I'm willing to trust their judgment.

Ideologue

Quote from: KRonn on December 11, 2011, 05:18:54 PM
I look at Ron Paul similar to Dennis Kucinich. They're not going to be Presidential contenders, but they do have some good ideas, along with the off the wall ideas. But they both stick to their ideas, support their views, and with little flip flopping around. So I can respect that I know where they stand on things, and that they are consistent on their views and stances on issues.

Name one good idea Kucinich has ever had.

Free Market Drug Act.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

and I would be okay with his neo-isolationsim. 

No, I really don't think you would.

And his Libertarian fascism to health care is a dead end.  You have the right to die even if you don't want to, and we have a right to make you exercise that right, is a bit much.

Tell me more.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on December 11, 2011, 07:55:38 PM
Nah, the reason it has legs is because Paul is, in many ways, the most important catalyst for the formation of the Tea Party.  Thus, I am interested in discovering more about who he was and what he said and thought before he started to really make news in the 2008 election cycle.  These newsletter seem to shed some light on the topic.
The trouble is that Ron Paul is to today's Tea Party what Abraham Lincoln is to today's Republican party.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 11, 2011, 08:58:23 PM
and I would be okay with his neo-isolationsim. 

No, I really don't think you would.

Tell me more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMHY21VA8WE

Ideologue

Did not like it when Wolf asked him point blank if the hypothetical man should be left to die and he started warbling on about some stupid tangent about churches and licensing requirements.  The answer is "yes."  Well, actually the answer is "hospitals should be nationalized and everyone should receive practically free treatment, unless the cost of treatment outweighs prospects for success"; I mean the answer consistent with Paulism.  What a cowardly distraction.

Also, Ron Paul twitches in an uncomfortable manner.  Physician, fine, but I hope he wasn't a surgeon.
Kinemalogue

KRonn

Yeah, he's  a fruitcake half the time.

My point was that at least some of these guys and gals do put innovative ideas out there, things that actually address issues. Something that more mainstream pols don't do, since they go along to get along, take baby steps and fear angering anyone. Gingrich is one with innovative ideas and not so much the nutty stuff. He expresses views and ideas that are sweeping changes, and isn't afraid to go against the grain of usual politics. In time that will ruffle people more but he has some good ideas.

Take Romney, Perry, and most others. They have ideas but nothing paticularly sweeping. Cain had his 9-9-9 plan. That wouldn't likely have passed as is but he was pushing a flat tax, Federal sales tax while eliminating many other taxes to make up for it. Innovative ideas that at least get us talking outside the box, food for thought to look at some issues differently.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 11, 2011, 09:22:35 PM
Did not like it when Wolf asked him point blank if the hypothetical man should be left to die and he started warbling on about some stupid tangent about churches and licensing requirements.  The answer is "yes."  Well, actually the answer is "hospitals should be nationalized and everyone should receive practically free treatment, unless the cost of treatment outweighs prospects for success," but if the latter is not possible I guess the former is fine.

Also, Ron Paul twitches in an uncomfortable manner.  Physician, fine, but I hope he wasn't a surgeon.

The fact that he declares that one of the major problems is "there is no competition" in the healthcare industry tells me all I need to know about what he knows about the healthcare industry.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on December 11, 2011, 09:24:57 PM
My point was that at least some of these guys and gals do put innovative ideas out there, things that actually address issues. Something that more mainstream pols don't do, since they go along to get along, take baby steps and fear angering anyone. Gingrich is one with innovative ideas and not so much the nutty stuff. He expresses views and ideas that are sweeping changes, and isn't afraid to go against the grain of usual politics. In time that will ruffle people more but he has some good ideas.

Take Romney, Perry, and most others. They have ideas but nothing paticularly sweeping. Cain had his 9-9-9 plan. That wouldn't likely have passed as is but he was pushing a flat tax, Federal sales tax while eliminating many other taxes to make up for it. Innovative ideas that at least get us talking outside the box, food for thought to look at some issues differently.

Thing is, our government and the political process it runs on, by its very nature is not amenable to "innovative" ideas.  It's the nation's largest bureaucracy, the largest corporation.  You just don't introduce novel and new concepts to an established machine; it just doesn't work that way.  You make the machine, and the way it works, achieve the results you need.

That's why "Washington Insiders", for all their faults, usually get things done to a much greater degree than the "Washington Outsiders".