Who will be the Republican Nominee for President (post Cain)

Started by Viking, December 03, 2011, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on December 10, 2011, 07:15:14 AM
He disabled the like/dislike function on his official video, so people re-hosted the video so that they could dislike it.

Anyone who hated his video that much wasn't going to vote for him anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: fahdiz on December 08, 2011, 11:09:11 AM
The primary documents show that the person who wrote the content of those documents was a racist. The nasty, old-school kind, too.

Two questions I have - not for Raz, necessarily, but for the group: do we know the circulation of this newsletter? and are these particular ones different in tone from the content of the newsletter in previous years?

These were not Ron Paul's congressional newsletter.  They were a series of newsletters published by various organizations with which Ron Paul was associated. 

Here's the original article from The New Republic: http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/angry-white-man?id=e2f15397-a3c7-4720-ac15-4532a7da84ca

In it, Kirchick notes that "[t]he Freedom Report claimed to have over 100,000 readers in 1984."  He also notes that "[Christopher] Caldwell, writing in the Times Magazine last year, said he found Paul's explanation believable, "since the style diverges widely from his own.""  Caldwell is a Paul supporter, though, so that doesn't necessarily mean much.  Kirchick concludes that "What [the newsletters] reveal are decades worth of obsession with conspiracies, sympathy for the right-wing militia movement, and deeply held bigotry against blacks, Jews, and gays. In short, they suggest that Ron Paul is not the plain-speaking antiwar activist his supporters believe they are backing--but rather a member in good standing of some of the oldest and ugliest traditions in American politics."  Clearly not a fan, but his conclusions seem to be in line with those of others who have seen the actual newsletter.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Can we just agree that Ron Paul is not going to be the Republican Presidential nominee and move along?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

I think it's time to close this poll and have a run-off between Romney and McMillan.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on December 11, 2011, 02:13:00 PM
Can we just agree that Ron Paul is not going to be the Republican Presidential nominee and move along?
He can still win it, if he can manage to overcome the media blackout, and have the majority of voters find out about him and his ideas.

grumbler

I think the issue of just who Ron Paul is is more than a bit interesting.  Some people find it hard to debate the topic rationally, but I think the topic can be debated rationally if everyone simply ignores Raz's "contributions."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on December 11, 2011, 04:17:11 PM

I think the issue of just who Ron Paul is is more than a bit interesting.  Some people find it hard to debate the topic rationally, but I think the topic can be debated rationally if everyone simply ignores Raz's "contributions."

Nah, the only reason it has legs is that the Dems love the idea of Paul being a legitimate voice of the Republican Party. Most of the discussion is driven by that, I suspect.

And by "Paul" I mean this carcicature of Paul that includes everything as nutty and crazy about him as possible, no matter what the reality might actually entail.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Please stop trolling.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on December 11, 2011, 04:21:14 PM
Nah, the only reason it has legs is that the Dems love the idea of Paul being a legitimate voice of the Republican Party. Most of the discussion is driven by that, I suspect.

And by "Paul" I mean this carcicature of Paul that includes everything as nutty and crazy about him as possible, no matter what the reality might actually entail.
I couldn't disagree more.  I think everyone recognizes that Paul is his own nut.  I don't think anyone attributes Paul's view to a Republican party, except in rare cases where Republican party adopts some of his views.  You can have separate contempt for Republicans in their current iteration, and hardcore libertarians who take reasonable fundamental assumptions and develop them to the idiotic conclusions.

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2011, 04:24:36 PM

Please stop trolling.

It's grumbler...

KRonn

I look at Ron Paul similar to Dennis Kucinich. They're not going to be Presidential contenders, but they do have some good ideas, along with the off the wall ideas. But they both stick to their ideas, support their views, and with little flip flopping around. So I can respect that I know where they stand on things, and that they are consistent on their views and stances on issues.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on December 11, 2011, 05:18:54 PM
I look at Ron Paul similar to Dennis Kucinich. They're not going to be Presidential contenders, but they do have some good ideas, along with the off the wall ideas. But they both stick to their ideas, support their views, and with little flip flopping around. So I can respect that I know where they stand on things, and that they are consistent on their views and stances on issues.

I'm not sure I admire consistency. Especially not when the consistently held ideas are bad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on December 11, 2011, 05:18:54 PM

What good ideas is Ron Paul bring to the table?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Fate on December 11, 2011, 05:00:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2011, 04:24:36 PM

Please stop trolling.

It's grumbler...

Yes, I know, but I do grow tired of his drive by shitting.

Neil

What good ideas does Ron Paul have?  Is it the gold standard?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.