Who will be the Republican Nominee for President (post Cain)

Started by Viking, December 03, 2011, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Ron Paul has some good ideas, changes in doing things. I don't agree with a lot of them but some are worth putting out there. Such as reforming the tax code, other economic ideas. Also, he's not in favor of the US getting so involved around the world, though he's more of an isolationist or something which goes too far to me. The US gains by being involved, gets  a say in things. But there are parts of truth in that the US gets too involved, and he would do otherwise.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on December 11, 2011, 04:21:14 PMNah, the only reason it has legs is that the Dems love the idea of Paul being a legitimate voice of the Republican Party. Most of the discussion is driven by that, I suspect.
He is a legitimate voice the Republican party.  He'll never be a leader of it but he's got his own hard-cre of support. 

In addition I think his campaign in 2008 has since shaped the Republican party in two ways, one negative and one, I think, quite positive.  The negative is that I think he infected Republican discourse on the economy with anti-Fed, Gold Standard silliness - I think that's now reflected in the support he got for his audit the Fed campaign (previously a lonely endeavour he shared with Bernie Sanders) but also in comments about the Fed in the debates and what Perry said.  The postive I think is that his brand of isolationism has reinvigorated a more conservative foreign policy.  Huntsman's indicative of this.  They may not want to pull out of everywhere as Paul does but basically support scaling back the wars and not starting any new ones.

You may not like Democrats saying Paul's a legitimate voice of the GOP (though an eccentric one: anti-war, anti-torture, isolationist eve on Israel, fine with the gays, loving the gold standard) but I think he is.  Just as much as Jesse Jackson once was in the Democrats.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2011, 02:40:13 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 11, 2011, 02:13:00 PM
Can we just agree that Ron Paul is not going to be the Republican Presidential nominee and move along?
He can still win it, if he can manage to overcome the media blackout, and have the majority of voters find out about him and his ideas.

No he can't, because once the majority of voters find out about him and his ideas, they'll realize how incredibly batshit insane they actually are.

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2011, 07:18:10 PM
Can we just agree that Ron Paul is not going to be the Republican Presidential nominee and move along?
He can still win it, if he can manage to overcome the media blackout, and have the majority of voters find out about him and his ideas.

No he can't, because once the majority of voters find out about him and his ideas, they'll realize how incredibly batshit insane they actually are.

Don't let Princesca hear that. She has a serious moist spot for Ron and Rand.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2011, 07:18:10 PM
You never know.  People who vote are pretty stupid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: KRonn on December 11, 2011, 05:18:54 PM
I look at Ron Paul similar to Dennis Kucinich. They're not going to be Presidential contenders, but they do have some good ideas, along with the off the wall ideas. But they both stick to their ideas, support their views, and with little flip flopping around. So I can respect that I know where they stand on things, and that they are consistent on their views and stances on issues.

Name one good idea Kucinich has ever had.

Ron Paul is very sincere about the deficit and I would be okay with his neo-isolationsim.  His gold standard nonsense has to go though.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2011, 07:24:31 PM
and I would be okay with his neo-isolationsim. 

No, I really don't think you would.

And his Libertarian fascism to health care is a dead end.  You have the right to die even if you don't want to, and we have a right to make you exercise that right, is a bit much.

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on December 11, 2011, 06:56:09 PM
Ron Paul has some good ideas, changes in doing things. I don't agree with a lot of them but some are worth putting out there. Such as reforming the tax code, other economic ideas. Also, he's not in favor of the US getting so involved around the world, though he's more of an isolationist or something which goes too far to me. The US gains by being involved, gets  a say in things. But there are parts of truth in that the US gets too involved, and he would do otherwise.

Be a bit more specific.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2011, 07:24:31 PM
I look at Ron Paul similar to Dennis Kucinich. They're not going to be Presidential contenders, but they do have some good ideas, along with the off the wall ideas. But they both stick to their ideas, support their views, and with little flip flopping around. So I can respect that I know where they stand on things, and that they are consistent on their views and stances on issues.

Name one good idea Kucinich has ever had.

Ron Paul is very sincere about the deficit and I would be okay with his neo-isolationsim.  His gold standard nonsense has to go though.

Yeah, you would.   You'd follow anyone who said "deficit reduction".  Why are you so obsessed with that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 11, 2011, 04:21:14 PM
Nah, the only reason it has legs is that the Dems love the idea of Paul being a legitimate voice of the Republican Party. Most of the discussion is driven by that, I suspect.

Nah, the reason it has legs is because Paul is, in many ways, the most important catalyst for the formation of the Tea Party.  Thus, I am interested in discovering more about who he was and what he said and thought before he started to really make news in the 2008 election cycle.  These newsletter seem to shed some light on the topic.

QuoteAnd by "Paul" I mean this carcicature of Paul that includes everything as nutty and crazy about him as possible, no matter what the reality might actually entail.
I am as disinterested in your strawman as I am in Raz's.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2011, 07:42:10 PM
Yeah, you would.   You'd follow anyone who said "deficit reduction".  Why are you so obsessed with that?

We do?

Razgovory

That's okay, Grumbler.  Nobody is interested in what you have to say either.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2011, 07:58:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2011, 07:42:10 PM

We do?

What, is there two of you now?

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 11, 2011, 04:21:14 PMNah, the only reason it has legs is that the Dems love the idea of Paul being a legitimate voice of the Republican Party. Most of the discussion is driven by that, I suspect.
He is a legitimate voice the Republican party.  He'll never be a leader of it but he's got his own hard-cre of support. 

In addition I think his campaign in 2008 has since shaped the Republican party in two ways, one negative and one, I think, quite positive.  The negative is that I think he infected Republican discourse on the economy with anti-Fed, Gold Standard silliness - I think that's now reflected in the support he got for his audit the Fed campaign (previously a lonely endeavour he shared with Bernie Sanders) but also in comments about the Fed in the debates and what Perry said.  The postive I think is that his brand of isolationism has reinvigorated a more conservative foreign policy.  Huntsman's indicative of this.  They may not want to pull out of everywhere as Paul does but basically support scaling back the wars and not starting any new ones.

You may not like Democrats saying Paul's a legitimate voice of the GOP (though an eccentric one: anti-war, anti-torture, isolationist eve on Israel, fine with the gays, loving the gold standard) but I think he is.  Just as much as Jesse Jackson once was in the Democrats.

So again - he's not really legit then?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Maybe Paul Wellstone, but certainly not Kucinich.  Kucinich is an opportunistic featherweight who toadies to Hugo Chavez and went on Syrian TV to express his support for Bashir Assad.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!