News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

David Frum on the GOP

Started by Jacob, November 27, 2011, 11:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2011, 01:15:48 PM
Yeah, that's just Michael Moore being crazy in a different, lesser way.

Really? You're giving Moore a free pass?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2011, 10:33:49 PM

Does that sentence really read that way to you?

I don't hate Moore, but I think he's really wrongheaded and loony.  I don't think he's as loony or as wrongheaded as a 9/11 truther (or Holocaust denier or moon hoaxer or birther or creationist).

Now, maybe if I were more familiar with his work, I might?  I've read one of his books (I forget which, but I liked it, it was about how America and capitalism suck) and I watched a few episodes of TV Nation (also enjoyable, I thought the one where he had a slave was pretty funny).  I've never seen a single one of his movies, in part because movies that claim the dignity of a documentary but wear their biases so clearly on their sleeves kind of creep me out.  I also feel that he is, like many of my anti-Bush comrades, a fascist-enabler, unable to distinguish between the bad practices used to whip up support for the Iraq War and its poor execution on one hand, and the fundamental rightness of the cause on the other.

No, I don't give him a free pass.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2011, 10:42:14 PM(I forget which, but I liked it, it was about how America and capitalism suck)

You're gonna have to be more specific.   :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2011, 10:33:49 PM

Calling Moore crazy is just being fair not giving him a free pass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2011, 04:19:13 PM
I like to think I generally comport myself in an affable manner.

Sure. Now.

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2011, 04:19:13 PM
I like to think I generally comport myself in an affable manner.

You're a good dude.
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.