News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arlen Specter to become a Democrat

Started by alfred russel, April 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Did I beat Tim?

I saw it on CNN online as breaking news, but they took it down, so it may not be true. I guess this would make the Democratic majority filibusterproof, once Al Franken wins his seat.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Weatherman

Quote from: saskganesh on April 28, 2009, 11:27:54 AM
why switch?

He was going to get his ass handed to him in the 2010 Senate primary.

derspiess

Good riddance.  I gave up trying to figure him out long ago.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Weatherman

Quote from: saskganesh on April 28, 2009, 11:35:40 AM
Quote from: Weatherman on April 28, 2009, 11:29:27 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on April 28, 2009, 11:27:54 AM
why switch?

He was going to get his ass handed to him in the 2010 Senate primary.

so he's desperate?

Latest polls had him 21 points behind his challenger and Penn law won't let people run as Independents, so yeah he was desperate.

derspiess

Anyway, Specter's voice always reminded me of Howard Sprague from the Andy Griffith Show.  Kinda looks like him in a way, as well.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

That is even dumber than the Democrat/Lieberman fiasco a few years ago. Not only have the Republicans flipped their seat to the democrats, but they just gave the Democrats a filibuster proof majority at a time the Democrats have a very ambitious agenda they are trying to push through without much republican input.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Phillip V

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2009, 11:49:35 AM
That is even dumber than the Democrat/Lieberman fiasco a few years ago. Not only have the Republicans flipped their seat to the democrats, but they just gave the Democrats a filibuster proof majority at a time the Democrats have a very ambitious agenda they are trying to push through without much republican input.

Who is this "they"?

Did all the republicans get together and vote have Specter switch?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

How significant is the switch? Specter isn't obligated to vote along with the Dems in the Senate, no?

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on April 28, 2009, 11:55:16 AM
How significant is the switch? Specter isn't obligated to vote along with the Dems in the Senate, no?
Not as significant as is hyped, IMO.  Not all Democrats will always vote with their party, especially on more liberal issues, and there are several Republicans (including Specter) who have sided with Democrats in the past few months.

DGuller

I think this all started in 2004, back when Republicans were solidly in power, and could afford to cleanse the party of moderates.  Specter was clearly targeted for elimination, and had a fight for his political life.

derspiess

Steele didn't pull any punches:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_specter_switch

QuoteRepublican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele said in a statement: "Some in the Republican Party are happy about this. I am not. Let's be honest: Senator Specter didn't leave the GOP based on principles of any kind. He left to further his personal political interests because he knew that he was going to lose a Republican primary due to his left-wing voting record. Republicans look forward to beating Sen. Specter in 2010, assuming the Democrats don't do it first."

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2009, 12:01:20 PM
I think this all started in 2004, back when Republicans were solidly in power, and could afford to cleanse the party of moderates.  Specter was clearly targeted for elimination, and had a fight for his political life.

Should have used a magic bullet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017