Who will be the Republican Nominee For President?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 29, 2011, 12:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the GOP nomination?

Romney
31 (68.9%)
Gingrich
5 (11.1%)
Cain
4 (8.9%)
Perry
0 (0%)
Other
5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 30, 2011, 02:58:27 PM
The basic contours of the race remain what they always have been since Christie passed: every candidate other than Romney has obvious, deal-breaking flaws that render them non-starters on any reasonable calculation. 
I think Gingrich is different though.  His obvious flaws were known to voters before the surge.  Republican primary voters could be deciding that despite them they're more comfortable with him than Romney, rather than just getting excited.  Also the timing's better.

It also helps that Gingrich is the first non-Romney who's managed to string together two decent debate performances.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: stjaba on November 30, 2011, 11:20:42 PM
I think my throw my support to Cain after the release of this map demonstrating his proposed foreign policy:

:lmfao:

Neil

Anybody who thinks of Israel as a friend and ally isn't worthy of holding higher office.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on December 01, 2011, 01:08:36 AM
Anybody who thinks of Israel as a friend and ally isn't worthy of holding higher office.

Anyone who thinks they can discard that alliance isn't capable of winning it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on December 01, 2011, 01:05:04 AM:lmfao:
That's actually on his website :lol:
http://www.hermancain.com/issue/foreign_policy_national_security

Also on the rival-competitor distinction, I think his foreign policy thinking clears this up:
QuoteRussia: Rival
Though we share strategic interests – from battling Islamic extremists and homegrown terrorists to space exploration programs - there are a number of issues that still divide our nation and Russia. Russia's insistence on the New START Treaty has put the U.S.A. at a distinct disadvantage, not only relative to Russia, but also to the world's other nuclear powers.  Russia's lack of clarity on Iran's nuclear program is also troubling. Though it is just a pale shadow of the former Soviet Union, Russia's energy-as-a-weapon policy with the Ukraine and Belarus, not to mention its invasion of Georgia shows that Russia is not shy about flexing its geopolitical muscles.
China:  Competitor
While China is still currently no match for the U.S. militarily, they are gaining every year. China's government is also well aware that it was the famous military strategist Sun Tzu, said "attack the enemy at the weakest point."    Our greatest threat with respect to China is actually at home. If our economy is allowed to continue to stagnate, we would eventually find ourselves unable to afford to stay ahead of China militarily.   China's disputes with its neighbors over the Spratly Islands have raised alarm bells, as it continues to flex its new military might.    Mr. Cain's overall strategy for our chief economic competitor is this: Outgrow China. His economic policies will unleash the growth potential of the U.S. economy and transcend the threat from China. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I wonder what his opinion is of all those little countries between Russian and the UK.  Some of them are kinda important.  Or South East Asia and Indonesia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

One result of Cain's election: mandatory facebook posting in North Korea.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2011, 06:00:08 AM
I wonder what his opinion is of all those little countries between Russian and the UK.

Future Pizza Eaters.
and the horse you rode in on

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on November 30, 2011, 07:20:45 PM
Cain is the man.

Certainly there are more than enough women to testify to that proposition.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

fhdz