Who will be the Republican Nominee For President?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 29, 2011, 12:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the GOP nomination?

Romney
31 (68.9%)
Gingrich
5 (11.1%)
Cain
4 (8.9%)
Perry
0 (0%)
Other
5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

DGuller

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 29, 2011, 02:13:28 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 29, 2011, 12:15:38 PM
So hard to choose one. :(

Indeed, it is an embarrassment of riches  :hmm:
:pinch: None of this would've happened if your ancestors fought a little better.  :mad:

Razgovory

Romney.  I've been saying it all year.  It's his turn.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on November 29, 2011, 02:36:42 PM
Quote from: frunk on November 29, 2011, 02:33:12 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 29, 2011, 02:13:28 PM
Indeed, it is an embarrassment of riches  :hmm:

You went two words too far.

I know; he lost me right after "Indeed, it".

I think we can all reasonably agree some sort of existence is involved.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

stjaba

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2011, 02:38:39 PM
Gingrich is the anti-Mitt of the week.  I still think that Cain will be the last one standing before the Romney victory.

I'd rather see it be Newt, though.

Cain is imploding. He is getting by the media right now. And this year has been a media driven race, as exhibited by the rise of Cain  in the polls despite his lack of organization or name recognition. Today, there are reports that Cain is "reassessing" his campaign amid reports of a 13 year affair. Cain's numbers are dropping also. I wouldn't be shocked if he drops out before Iowa.

I think the race will be drawn out, unfortunately, between Romney, Gingrich, and possibly Perry. Romney and Gingrich will split the early states, so neither will drop out.

What will make this drawn out is that this year Republican primaries will be proportional, as opposed to winner take all. Traditionally, Republican primaries were winner take all. In 2008, McCain basically locked up the nomination by winning Florida, which he won by only a couple percentage points, and Romney dropped out shortly after. In contrast, the Democratic primaries went out forever since each candidate kept picking up delegates. One insight from that election was that Obama won because he dominated the caucuses. Clinton and Obama basically tied the primary/popular vote, but Obama won the nomination because he crushed Clinton in the caucuses due to his superior ground organization. Supposedly, Romney's team is the best organized and the best versed in the delegate count mechanics. That may be his key to victory as was Obama's in 2008.

The other factor is that most of the primaries are not until March. In 2008, Super Tuesday was only 2 weeks after Florida(I think). This year, it will be 5 weeks later. So, there will be plenty of time to recover for candidates who lose Florida.

DGuller

Quote from: stjaba on November 29, 2011, 03:42:56 PM
What will make this drawn out is that this year Republican primaries will be proportional, as opposed to winner take all.
Really?  :hmm:  I did not know about that.  That makes the situation very different, and it probably doesn't favor Romney.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: stjaba on November 29, 2011, 03:42:56 PM
Cain is imploding. He is getting by the media right now. And this year has been a media driven race, as exhibited by the rise of Cain  in the polls despite his lack of organization or name recognition. Today, there are reports that Cain is "reassessing" his campaign amid reports of a 13 year affair. Cain's numbers are dropping also. I wouldn't be shocked if he drops out before Iowa.

I think the race will be drawn out, unfortunately, between Romney, Gingrich, and possibly Perry. Romney and Gingrich will split the early states, so neither will drop out.

What will make this drawn out is that this year Republican primaries will be proportional, as opposed to winner take all. Traditionally, Republican primaries were winner take all. In 2008, McCain basically locked up the nomination by winning Florida, which he won by only a couple percentage points, and Romney dropped out shortly after. In contrast, the Democratic primaries went out forever since each candidate kept picking up delegates. One insight from that election was that Obama won because he dominated the caucuses. Clinton and Obama basically tied the primary/popular vote, but Obama won the nomination because he crushed Clinton in the caucuses due to his superior ground organization. Supposedly, Romney's team is the best organized and the best versed in the delegate count mechanics. That may be his key to victory as was Obama's in 2008.

The other factor is that most of the primaries are not until March. In 2008, Super Tuesday was only 2 weeks after Florida(I think). This year, it will be 5 weeks later. So, there will be plenty of time to recover for candidates who lose Florida.

Another interpretation is that Obama dominated the caucuses because he appealed to the most hardcore supporters, as opposed to his organization. Which would seem to also explain how Huckabee won Iowa.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2011, 02:38:39 PM
Gingrich is the anti-Mitt of the week.  I still think that Cain will be the last one standing before the Romney victory.
Apparently Huntsman's up to 11% in New Hampshire, which is novel.  Maybe Mitt's so unpopular that even another comparatively moderate Mormon ex-Governor will briefly get to be frontrunner :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2011, 03:45:06 PMReally?  :hmm:  I did not know about that.  That makes the situation very different, and it probably doesn't favor Romney.
I don't think it's all states and my understanding is that it's not strictly proportional but based on congressional district.  They've not gone to the same system as the Democrats but they're heading that way.
Let's bomb Russia!

stjaba

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2011, 03:47:07 PM

Another interpretation is that Obama dominated the caucuses because he appealed to the most hardcore supporters, as opposed to his organization. Which would seem to also explain how Huckabee won Iowa.

That's a valid interpretation, and obviously both organization and enthusiasm were factors.

DGuller,

In 2008, prior to this withdrawal, Romney won almost every Republican caucus besides Iowa. He definitely has the organization and money it takes to win caucuses.

stjaba

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2011, 03:52:19 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2011, 03:45:06 PMReally?  :hmm:  I did not know about that.  That makes the situation very different, and it probably doesn't favor Romney.
I don't think it's all states and my understanding is that it's not strictly proportional but based on congressional district.  They've not gone to the same system as the Democrats but they're heading that way.

You're right that not all states are bound to it; just states which vote before April 1, which is over half the states. But there is nothing in the GOP bylaws about congressional districts.

(b) Timing.
(1) No primary, caucus, or convention to elect, select, allocate, or bind delegates to the national convention shall occur prior to the first Tuesday in March in the year in which a national convention is held.  Except Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada may begin their processes at any time on or after February 1 in the year in which a national convention is held and shall not be subject to the provisions of paragraph (b)(2) of this rule.
(2) Any presidential primary, caucus, convention, or other meeting held for the purpose of selecting delegates to the national convention which occurs prior to the first day of April in the year in which the national convention is held, shall provide for the allocation of delegates on a proportional basis.
(3) If the Democratic National Committee fails to adhere to a presidential primary schedule with the dates set forth in Rule 15(b)(1) of these Rules (February 1 and first Tuesday in March), then Rule 15(b) shall revert to the Rules as adopted by the 2008 Republican National Convention.

http://www.gop.com/index.php/news/comments/republican_national_committee_approves_2012_presidential_nominating_process

Sheilbh

I think different states are doing different things.  The congressional district thing's old though and just triggers a proportional state going winner takes all:
http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2011/09/myth-of-republican-presidential-primary.html
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

I really, really, really wish it would be Rick Perry, if only so the comedy can last longer.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017