Who will be the Republican Nominee For President?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 29, 2011, 12:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the GOP nomination?

Romney
31 (68.9%)
Gingrich
5 (11.1%)
Cain
4 (8.9%)
Perry
0 (0%)
Other
5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

stjaba

In the past three weeks, Romney's chances of winning the nomination have gone from 70% to 47% according to Intrade. Meanwhile, Gingrich has gone from less than 10% to 40%. Gingrich is dominating almost every poll besides New Hampshire.  In the latest national poll, Gingrich has a 21 point advantage over Romney.* The next few weeks should be interesting. If Gingrich pulls this off, his comeback would be impressive, but not necessarily groundbreaking. In 2008, McCain came back to win the nomination after polling in the single digits at one point.

*Gingrich 38, Romney 17, Cain 8, Paul 8, Perry 4, Bachmann 4, Santorum 4, Huntsman 3

Neil

In this race of no-talents, anything is possible.  When the majority of the candidates are that wretched, and even the headliners are fairly lacklustre, all it takes to win the nomination is the right news story right before the right primary.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

The gaffes just keep coming with this crowd.  I love it.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2011, 11:07:30 AM
Yeah, they have their own Social website.

They do (and it's almost identical to Facebook in style), but they use Facebook quite a bit as well, so it is difficult to say that they hate it.

They also dominate Livejournal insofar as blogging goes.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on December 01, 2011, 09:27:58 PM
Want to make a bet on it?  :hmm:
I'm willing to.  My $100 to your $100 that Gingrich won't be elected president in 2012.

The Minsky Moment

The sad thing is that Mitt Romney for all his flip-flopping fakery is really a God-fearing guy who honestly seems to have been attacting to politics because of the potential to improve the world he lives in.  (well that and following the family business)

Whereas Newt is an arrogant, self-aggrandizing asshole who believes in nothing other than his own self-promotion, and who switches religions as often as he switches wives.

Yet to many evangelicals Newt is their new savior from Mitt.

The mind boggles.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Fundamentalists make for bad politics and disastrous governments.  Look at the Prohibition Drys.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on December 01, 2011, 09:29:45 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 01, 2011, 09:27:58 PM
Want to make a bet on it?  :hmm:
I'm willing to.  My $100 to your $100 that Gingrich won't be elected president in 2012.

Newt is enough to make me vote for Obama. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)