NFL 2011 Week 12 - The first good Thanksgiving in years

Started by Neil, November 22, 2011, 08:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2011, 11:24:39 AM
Maybe San Antonio too.

Nah that's not happening.

Edit:  Or at least not without big upgrades to the Dome, among other things. 

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2011, 07:17:51 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2011, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2011, 11:22:28 PM
Dwayne Bowe just got his Man Card revoked.

That was pretty pathetic.  If I were coaching the Chiefs, I'd have that play on a continuous loop for the first 10 minutes of the morning meeting.  Granted, Palko shouldn't have thrown into quintuple coverage, but you gotta at least make an attempt.

I dunno, looked like Michael Jordan would have had trouble nabbing that one.

As they said on the broadcast, at least try to tip it & try to make a play that way.  I generally like Bowe, but that was a pathetic lack of effort.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 29, 2011, 11:20:04 AM
Seems like that's more of a "for now" thing.  They don't really give a shit about the Jags in Jville.  They've had the tarps over big chunks of that stadium for a long time.

It was an idiotic location for the expansion team anyway.  I loved how in the lead up everybody was talking about San Antonio and Baltimore being slam dunks for the two new expansion teams..and then mysteriously two darkhorses in Jacksonville and Carolina won out of nowhere.

Very mysterious indeed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2011, 09:43:48 AM
Jake Del Rio is Fired! DC (Mel) Tucker is taking over.

Fools.  They have Mark Duffner right there on their staff and they don't utilize him for anything other than LB coach. 

Oh well-- their loss.  That keeps The Duff free to make his glorious return to Cincinnati whenever the Marvin Lewis era ends.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2011, 11:16:11 AM
Moving to where? LA isn't ready.

Well SUPPOSEDLY they're going to stay in Jacksonville. 

Seems like that's more of a "for now" thing.  They don't really give a shit about the Jags in Jville.  They've had the tarps over big chunks of that stadium for a long time.

To be fair, the stadium holds 73,000 without the seats covered, and it looks like only a handful of teams are consistently drawing crowds that size (though a few more probably would if their stadiums were larger).

What's sad is that the Bengals-Browns game here Sunday only drew 48,000-ish.  Bengals have only sold out one home game so far-- Pittsburgh :mellow:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Wasn't the commish quoted earlier this year as saying that the NFL would put a team in London by 2020?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2011, 04:47:39 PM
To be fair, the stadium holds 73,000 without the seats covered, and it looks like only a handful of teams are consistently drawing crowds that size (though a few more probably would if their stadiums were larger).

What's sad is that the Bengals-Browns game here Sunday only drew 48,000-ish.  Bengals have only sold out one home game so far-- Pittsburgh :mellow:

Alltell, or whatever it's called now?  They make like 67,000 tickets available per game and almost never sell it out, let alone actually get all the ticketholders through the gates.  The place looked about half full for Sundays game against the Texans (ESPN says attendance was 63,000, but there weren't even close to that many people there), and they're like 10,000 short and are trying to avoid a blackout for their game on Monday. 

Check it out:

Refocus away from the cheerleader and check out the empty seats behind her.  The overhead shots, from the blimp or whatever, where you could see the upper levels, were just brutal.  To be fair, this one here is probably from halftime or ~the 4th Q when there were about 25,000 people left and I put it there more because I like cheerleaders, but I'll be damned if there weren't big gaps even in the sections down close to the field and even early in the game. 

Also, the Texans signed Delhomme.  SUPER BOWL BOUND

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2011, 04:03:49 PM

It was an idiotic location for the expansion team anyway.  I loved how in the lead up everybody was talking about San Antonio and Baltimore being slam dunks for the two new expansion teams..and then mysteriously two darkhorses in Jacksonville and Carolina won out of nowhere.

Very mysterious indeed.

Meh, they'll go to LA and fail there too.

jimmy olsen

Apparently the lease is ridiculously hard to get out from, it would take at least 4-5 years, and even then it's iffy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_jacksonville_jaguars_new_owner_los_angeles_112911

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2011, 12:19:59 AM
Meh, they'll go to LA and fail there too.

The ghosts of all former USC greats conspire to destroy any football team who dares to compete with the Trojans in LA.  That is why UCLA inexplicably hired Rick Neuheisel, LA Rams traded away Eric Dickerson, and Marcus Allen drove Al Davis to insanity.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Chester McGlockton, Stanford assistant coach and former Pro Bowler for the Raiders (among other teams) died at 42.  It is stunning how much an NFL career shortens these guys lives.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-stanford-assistantdies

MadBurgerMaker

Oh man.  A little more info on why the Texans offense went completely vanilla in the second half vs the Jags:  Even though they had Owen Daniels practicing taking snaps from under center at halftime (!), Kubiak decided that wasn't a viable option unless there was just no possible way around it, so he started calling plays with the sole purpose of protecting Yates, the last "real" QB on the active roster for the day.  Run run run punt, for the most part, aside from a real quick pass here and there to at least try to loosen things up a little. 

Apparently, the collective blood pressure went up a bit when Yates took off and ran on a play in the 2nd half.  He slid quite nicely, although a little short of the first down marker, but still took a big hit in the head.  I remember him being more pissed off about not getting a flag for that than anything, so.....well.....it's good that he's young in situations like that, I guess.

They'll have at least two active again on Sunday against Atlanta:  Yates and Clemens.  They might activate Delhomme as well, even though he won't be ready for anything, just to avoid the above situation again.  Of course, by that point they'd be down to their 4th or 5th choice at QB (depending on where Delhomme goes on the depth chart), so who really cares if he isn't  a master of the playbook?