Dick moves in your line of work.

Started by Martinus, November 21, 2011, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2011, 10:34:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 24, 2011, 09:20:29 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 24, 2011, 11:13:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2011, 03:55:44 AM
Speaking of which, a chick (I guess a guy too, but never seen that) who cries in a stressful situation at work should be fired on the spot.
I work with a lot of chicks who do that and freely admit it.  I don't personally care, as long as she's hot.

I've heard of dudes breaking down in tears at BigLaw firms.

BigLaw sucks.

Don't let Malthus, Gupta or Minsky tell you otherwise.

No shit.  My brother-in-law got out of Piper when he could.  It's a fucking meat grinder.  2,400+ billable hours a year "encouraged".  That's bullshit.
His buddies left behind cry regularly.

Ideologue

Yeah, I never wanted a job like that.

Worked out!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2011, 10:54:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2011, 10:34:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 24, 2011, 09:20:29 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 24, 2011, 11:13:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2011, 03:55:44 AM
Speaking of which, a chick (I guess a guy too, but never seen that) who cries in a stressful situation at work should be fired on the spot.
I work with a lot of chicks who do that and freely admit it.  I don't personally care, as long as she's hot.

I've heard of dudes breaking down in tears at BigLaw firms.

BigLaw sucks.

Don't let Malthus, Gupta or Minsky tell you otherwise.

No shit.  My brother-in-law got out of Piper when he could.  It's a fucking meat grinder.  2,400+ billable hours a year "encouraged".  That's bullshit.
His buddies left behind cry regularly.

I don't want to pretend I'm some great lifestyle guru.  I was fired (only time that has ever happened in my life), not that I quit.

But still, I remember coming home at 8, 9pm, having no life other than the office.  Government work is sooooooo much better than that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2011, 11:02:48 PM
But still, I remember coming home at 8, 9pm, having no life other than the office.  Government work is sooooooo much better than that.

That's the route he went.  He did it for a time, and I remember my sister taking him his dinner at 9pm, but when his first daughter was born, he didn't want to turn around one day to see her turning 7.

His friends from BigLaw want to get out, but even after 3 or 5 years, they get trapped by the salary, and when their young wives want them out for the inevitable child-rearing, they're already buried under the McMansion mortage, the BMW payments.
You simply can't go from $150K to $55K without having your shit straight.  And you turn around one day and see your kid turning 7.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

:P  WHAT THE FUCK IS THE CAT DOING WITH THE FUCKING SPOON

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2011, 11:11:50 PM
That's the route he went.  He did it for a time, and I remember my sister taking him his dinner at 9pm, but when his first daughter was born, he didn't want to turn around one day to see her turning 7.

His friends from BigLaw want to get out, but even after 3 or 5 years, they get trapped by the salary, and when their young wives want them out for the inevitable child-rearing, they're already buried under the McMansion mortage, the BMW payments.
You simply can't go from $150K to $55K without having your shit straight.  And you turn around one day and see your kid turning 7.

Yup - that is the trap.

Mind you these days with government - I leave work at 3:30, so I can pick up my son at 4:30 from the dayhome.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Nevertheless, if scoring good coke and a never-ending littany of hottie bimbettes is your kind of lifestyle, BigLaw's where it's at.

Siege

Martinus, I got my dick move for you!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Sheilbh

A girl I live with is a trainee.  She's normally back by about 7-ish and does keep her weekends.  But lately she's not been back before midnight and recently was in the office until 0650, then back in at 1230 :blink: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2011, 01:53:46 AM
A girl I live with is a trainee.  She's normally back by about 7-ish and does keep her weekends.  But lately she's not been back before midnight and recently was in the office until 0650, then back in at 1230 :blink: :bleeding:

:perv: ?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I'm in the silly situation that my boss wants me not to do too many hours of overtime, while I'm also supposed to get my job done which he acknowledges is too much for a 40h workweek.

His standard reply, "If we don't get extra resources then we have to let the process crash and prioritize as best we can."

Of course it's easy for him to say, because he doesn't get the complaints via email and phone.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2011, 02:45:55 AM
I'm in the silly situation that my boss wants me not to do too many hours of overtime, while I'm also supposed to get my job done which he acknowledges is too much for a 40h workweek.

His standard reply, "If we don't get extra resources then we have to let the process crash and prioritize as best we can."

Of course it's easy for him to say, because he doesn't get the complaints via email and phone.

Does he have the ability to hire someone to help you, or is he in as bad a situation as you?

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on November 24, 2011, 04:28:18 AM
The website I edit and write for is subscription-only for defence contractors and ministries. The US Sales team has just pitched a massive deal with one of the top 5 contractors additionally offering my consultancy services over the telephone. Like I'm going to know more on any military subject than they do!  :glare:

The whole relationship with Sales is one giant dick move. They get a basic salary more than mine plus a bonus I don't get based entirely on the quality of my work  :glare:

Now you know the problems of capitalism. :p :commie:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: sbr on November 25, 2011, 02:54:54 AMDoes he have the ability to hire someone to help you, or is he in as bad a situation as you?

No, that decision rests with our VP (who is in favor) and the Senior VP in UK (who still has to replace two people on our other team in UK).

For comparison: The U.S. have 18 people on their team in San Diego and seek to expand. In all of Europe, with similar amount of projects/sites, and a lot more local complexities (basically, every country is different and a lot less homogenous than U.S.), we are currently 4.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.