News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dick moves in your line of work.

Started by Martinus, November 21, 2011, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2011, 08:46:35 PM
No idea if it's changed the culture, but at least on my office all the stupid trivial drama comes from the fairer sex. Hell two male VP's seem to hate eachother but keep it cordial and work together if need be. There are stretches where some female employees (including a manager) won't talk to each other for the most stupid reasons.

This is true;  two guys in the office can call each other a fucking asshole and go to lunch together five minutes later.  A woman perceives a slight, and she's trying to derail your career every way possible for the rest of your days. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2011, 08:21:23 PM:lol:

:huh:

Wait... are you suggesting that corporate culture was entirely different before women became involved?
Has Mad Men taught you nothing?

The place I worked at wasn't corporate.  It was a relatively small HQ office of around 70 staff.  But it was overwhelmingly female, about 60-70% women.  In my sexist experience men are generally incredibly resistant to change and love bitching.  The women were generally more supportive of changing things - because they were more interested in the clients - and just got on with things rather than spending every meeting listing small potential flaws.  Of course I generalise wildly.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

No idea if it's changed the culture, but at least on my office all the stupid trivial drama comes from the fairer sex. Hell two male VP's seem to hate eachother but keep it cordial and work together if need be. There are stretches where some female employees (including a manager) won't talk to each other for the most stupid reasons.

My colleague is often grumpy at me, because in our little team she's always the one to loudly complain about stuff to our manager and would like more support from me in that regard. Meanwhile, I think that presenting problems, issues and suggestions for solutions is a better tactic with our supervisor (he in fact called her hysterical once) - we agree about many things, but not here.

Ironically, she's running a small project with a rather young & hyperactive colleague. She said to me yesterday, that this colleague is way too emotional and hectic about things, and that she's taken the approach of not getting worked up over it and let her rant as much as she likes and doing her part quietly.

I thought of asking her if that sounded familiar to her, but then decided not to bother. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on November 22, 2011, 08:55:33 AM
Dealing with offshore development teams when I am managing the development work, but have no actual authority over the contributors.

oooh, the equivalent of that in my work has been a constant for the last two roles I have had. Fun times. NOT.

Martinus

Speaking of which, a chick (I guess a guy too, but never seen that) who cries in a stressful situation at work should be fired on the spot.

Syt

Since Marty also mentioned dick moves that we might use.

In our company, email flooding is endemic. However, you can use it to your advantage: a lot of people have stopped reading emails in which they're not directly addressed but only cc'ed.

Whenever I must involve someone but don't want them to get involved/meddle, I cc them. In the unlikely event that they complain about not being involved I can calmly re-send my mail and point out that I had cc'ed in case they wanted to add something.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

The website I edit and write for is subscription-only for defence contractors and ministries. The US Sales team has just pitched a massive deal with one of the top 5 contractors additionally offering my consultancy services over the telephone. Like I'm going to know more on any military subject than they do!  :glare:

The whole relationship with Sales is one giant dick move. They get a basic salary more than mine plus a bonus I don't get based entirely on the quality of my work  :glare:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Brazen

Fireblade

I don't know, when a faculty member writes in a book or something. Lieberryin' is about the least evil profession you can get into.

I'd love to regale Languish with more Tales from the Workplace(tm), but nothing ever happens here. The biggest drama happens when some dumbass Chinese exchange student tries to go out a fire exit and I have to punch in the alarm code. Or maybe when some negro comes in and tries to steal a laptop.

Malthus

My impression of the female lawyers I deal with is that they are basically the same as the male lawyers.

My secretary (who is female) is of a very different opinion. She claims female lawyers are MUCH harder to work for or with.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Fireblade on November 24, 2011, 08:31:44 AM
The biggest drama happens when some dumbass Chinese exchange student tries to go out a fire exit and I have to punch in the alarm code. Or maybe when some negro comes in and tries to steal a laptop.

:lol:Nice to know tales of academia are universal.
A few years ago we had video of a Chinese researcher trying to go out the fire exit;  it had a 15 second delay for the door break release, so while the alarm was going off, the door wasn't opening fast enough so she starts kicking the glass.

I know red is the color of fortune and good luck with the godless yellow heathens, but when we paint our shit red, it means emergency over here.  Fucking bucketheads.

Malthus

Quote from: Fireblade on November 24, 2011, 08:31:44 AM
I don't know, when a faculty member writes in a book or something. Lieberryin' is about the least evil profession you can get into.

I'd love to regale Languish with more Tales from the Workplace(tm), but nothing ever happens here. The biggest drama happens when some dumbass Chinese exchange student tries to go out a fire exit and I have to punch in the alarm code. Or maybe when some negro comes in and tries to steal a laptop.

You work in a university library?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2011, 03:55:44 AM
Speaking of which, a chick (I guess a guy too, but never seen that) who cries in a stressful situation at work should be fired on the spot.

Tears are less unproductive than emo-rage hissyfits.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2011, 03:55:44 AM
I work with a lot of chicks who do that and freely admit it.  I don't personally care, as long as she's hot.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points