News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dick moves in your line of work.

Started by Martinus, November 21, 2011, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Our publisher has announced there are to be no pay rises again this year. Bearing in mind we already work for a pittance, this pretty much ensures they will lose anyone good or experienced to another title.

We've considered going on strike as the journalists form one of the big news-wires have threatened after they were offered a "mere" 1.5% rise. But then who would that inconvenience?

Sadly, in journalism, there are too many people prepared to do it for love rather than a living.

The Brain

The sex industry has the same problem. NB I DO NOT CONSIDER JOURNALISTS TO BE SIMPLE WHORES
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on November 25, 2011, 05:51:11 AM
Our publisher has announced there are to be no pay rises again this year. Bearing in mind we already work for a pittance, this pretty much ensures they will lose anyone good or experienced to another title.

We've considered going on strike as the journalists form one of the big news-wires have threatened after they were offered a "mere" 1.5% rise. But then who would that inconvenience?

Sadly, in journalism, there are too many people prepared to do it for love rather than a living.

Where can I forward my resume and writing samples?

dps

Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2011, 06:15:36 AM
The sex industry has the same problem. NB I DO NOT CONSIDER JOURNALISTS TO BE SIMPLE WHORES

Yeah, I have a lot more respect for sex workers than for journalists, too.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2011, 11:17:26 PM
Nevertheless, if scoring good coke and a never-ending littany of hottie bimbettes is your kind of lifestyle, BigLaw's where it's at.

Somehow, I missed out on that.  :(

Mind you, my job is to deal with the somewhat impenitrable bureaucracy created by government - nothing really sexy in that.

I spent the last two weeks putting together a drug pricing proposal for the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board. If they have bureaucracy in hell, it surely resembles this. The "guidelines" are an incomprehensible (to outsiders) mass of jargon ... I love stuff like this, pages and pages of it:

QuoteModerate Improvement

C.11.5 The introductory price(s) of a new drug product providing moderate improvement will be presumed to be excessive if the National Average Transaction Price or any Market-Specific Average Transaction Price exceeds the Maximum Average Potential Price at introduction as determined by the higher of:

a.The mid-point between the price obtained in paragraph
b.below and the median international price determined by the Median International Price Comparison test (see Schedule 5), and (b) The highest non-excessive price of the drug products identified pursuant to section C.8.7 based on a TCC test (see Schedule 3).

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2011, 09:43:52 AM
Nevertheless, if scoring good coke and a never-ending littany of hottie bimbettes is your kind of lifestyle, BigLaw's where it's at.

But you have remarked on a few occasions that you are the exception in your firm by still being married to your first wife. :contract:

The option to go get a young trophy wife bimbette is certainly there if you wanted to pursue it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 25, 2011, 09:50:21 AM
But you have remarked on a few occasions that you are the exception in your firm by still being married to your first wife. :contract:

The option to go get a young trophy wife bimbette is certainly there if you wanted to pursue it.

Heh, I would not know how, even if I wanted to. The lifestyle of office-sleep-office allows little time for bimbette-cultivation ... though I suppose there is always the Internet!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2011, 09:53:44 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 25, 2011, 09:50:21 AM

Heh, I would not know how, even if I wanted to. The lifestyle of office-sleep-office allows little time for bimbette-cultivation ... though I suppose there is always the Internet!  :lol:
that's where the coke comes you. that you you get to cut out the sleep part :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on November 25, 2011, 09:58:40 AM

Plus, chicks dig a raging, paranoid, delusional asshole.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2011, 10:11:01 AM

The bimbette wanne-be trophy wives certainly do. :yes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2011, 09:43:52 AM

Mind you, my job is to deal with the somewhat impenitrable bureaucracy created by government - nothing really sexy in that.

I spent the last two weeks putting together a drug pricing proposal for the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board. If they have bureaucracy in hell, it surely resembles this. The "guidelines" are an incomprehensible (to outsiders) mass of jargon ... I love stuff like this, pages and pages of it:

QuoteModerate Improvement

C.11.5 The introductory price(s) of a new drug product providing moderate improvement will be presumed to be excessive if the National Average Transaction Price or any Market-Specific Average Transaction Price exceeds the Maximum Average Potential Price at introduction as determined by the higher of:

a.The mid-point between the price obtained in paragraph
b.below and the median international price determined by the Median International Price Comparison test (see Schedule 5), and (b) The highest non-excessive price of the drug products identified pursuant to section C.8.7 based on a TCC test (see Schedule 3).

Seems straightforward enough.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 25, 2011, 10:14:50 AM

The bimbette wanne-be trophy wives certainly do. :yes:

The funny part is the only real cokehead bimbette-chasers I know about for sure in real life are either trustifarians or solid blue collar union men - like my worthless brother in law, who makes sufficient salary working overtime as a skilled mechanic in a factory (meaning he mostly sits around waiting for something to break) to afford a hefty coke habit.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 25, 2011, 10:25:24 AM
Seems straightforward enough.

:lol:

I'l love to give you a mass of drug data and the Guidelines, and see what you came up with.

The problem, as you would quickly see, is that each test refers to other tests, which refer to still others ... and applying 'em to drugs (no two of which have exactly the same dosage forms or dosing regimes) is not easy.

How, for example, is someone supposed to compare the price of a pediatric drug that has an initial dose of certain amount of mg/kg body weight, is titrated upwards to the final dose, with a possible maximum of 60 mg, with another where the usual dose is 30 mg but at the physician's election may be dosed as low as 20 or as high as 50? And how about where the comparative dosage strengths are not the same, and the price of the comparator does not scale linearly as a function of price per mg?

It can be done, and we have done it, but it is hardly straightforward.

HVC

Sarcasm :unsure: Becasue i actually know a few that do :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.