News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Americas Elect 2012 - the Not Party

Started by merithyn, November 17, 2011, 09:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 01:04:22 PMWhich part?

That he doesn't consider making things work an inspiring ideal.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2011, 01:45:45 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
And?  Those are irrelevant and small conflicts that took place in the past.  There's a future ahead of you.
I won't live to see it. :(
And I fear that the West as a civilization won't either, unless we adopt a somewhat more community-oriented approach.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

States always spend themselves into bankruptcy eventually. For whatever reason, the human race simply cannot accomplish balancing the opposing demands of state expenditure with revenues. We always demand more from the government than we're willing to pay for. In the end, the inflation tax always evens things out. It won't ever change.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2011, 03:23:32 PM
And?  Those are irrelevant and small conflicts that took place in the past.  There's a future ahead of you.
And I fear that the West as a civilization won't either, unless we adopt a somewhat more community-oriented approach.

OK, Saloth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: fahdiz on November 18, 2011, 12:15:10 PM
Yes, but I guess my point is that your ideology doesn't have to be based on a fiction.
Okay.  I think ideology and fiction's kind-of interchangeable - but that fiction's not a dirty word.  One of the most common words in political campaigns and journalism now is 'narrative' and I think it describes something that's always existed.  The best politicians tap into our need for a fiction.  They tell us where we are, how we got here and where we should go.  I think most of our thoughts on those things, that shape how we respond to different political or social visions, are, like all stories, things we get on our parents' knees to a large extent.  Similarly I think that probably over 99% of a person's politics or social views are sort of gut instinct emotional responses that we later try to rationalise and integrate into a wider system - an ideology or a fiction.  Good politicians and theorists just provide a decent  framework that others can respond to.  Marx is just a more beardy and political George Lucas.

More widely it seems to me that the human instinct is to try and generalise and impose some sort of order on things, and so we make sense of the world through a sort of fiction.

And, incidentally, the technocratic, pragmatic, apolitical, political scientist ideal is as much of a story.  It's just HG Wells or something :p
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

The basic problem Shelf is that some narratives predict outcomes that don't happen.

fhdz

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2011, 11:38:25 PM
Okay.  I think ideology and fiction's kind-of interchangeable - but that fiction's not a dirty word.  One of the most common words in political campaigns and journalism now is 'narrative' and I think it describes something that's always existed.  The best politicians tap into our need for a fiction.  They tell us where we are, how we got here and where we should go.  I think most of our thoughts on those things, that shape how we respond to different political or social visions, are, like all stories, things we get on our parents' knees to a large extent.  Similarly I think that probably over 99% of a person's politics or social views are sort of gut instinct emotional responses that we later try to rationalise and integrate into a wider system - an ideology or a fiction.  Good politicians and theorists just provide a decent  framework that others can respond to.  Marx is just a more beardy and political George Lucas.

Yes, but there's a difference between a story which has an outcome that is possible and a story which has an outcome that is, while perhaps not impossible, so improbable that attempting it is destined for failure.

QuoteAnd, incidentally, the technocratic, pragmatic, apolitical, political scientist ideal is as much of a story.  It's just HG Wells or something :p

I'm sold. :D It's a great page-turner and we can actually get to the end of the book without all the characters dying in that one.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 18, 2011, 03:33:31 PM
States always spend themselves into bankruptcy eventually. For whatever reason, the human race simply cannot accomplish balancing the opposing demands of state expenditure with revenues. We always demand more from the government than we're willing to pay for. In the end, the inflation tax always evens things out. It won't ever change.

I suppose that's true but has nothing to do with humanity.  Just probability.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Fortunately we have a community organizer to lead us. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2011, 07:37:47 PM
Fortunately we have a community organizer to lead us. :)
He may be your president, but he doesn't really seem to lead.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2011, 07:37:16 PM

Well, it says at least one thing about humanity - while as individuals we may be austere and thrifty (or big spenders, conversely), get us in a group and the tendency is virtually always to spend rather than save.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 19, 2011, 08:29:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2011, 07:37:16 PM

Well, it says at least one thing about humanity - while as individuals we may be austere and thrifty (or big spenders, conversely), get us in a group and the tendency is virtually always to spend rather than save.

If there is a chance of something happening (such as going broke), it will happen eventually given enough time.  I don't think we as individuals are particularly austere and thrifty anyway.  It seems absurd that we expect our government to be so.

Siege

Quote from: merithyn on November 17, 2011, 09:51:19 AM
Has anyone heard of this movement? What are the chances that it will continue and grow beyond 2012? I like the idea, but I question it's longevity.

http://www.americanselect.org/

So, the Demoncrats know they are going to lose, so they now want people to vote for a third party, or not party, to take votes from the GOP.
Great strategy.

I predict the next elections a landslide victory for the GOP, no matter how many "Not Party"s the Dems create.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2011, 10:25:06 PM
I don't think we as individuals are particularly austere and thrifty anyway.

Some are, some aren't.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 21, 2011, 05:45:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2011, 10:25:06 PM
I don't think we as individuals are particularly austere and thrifty anyway.

Some are, some aren't.

I reckon that's the same with governments.