News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Americas Elect 2012 - the Not Party

Started by merithyn, November 17, 2011, 09:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2011, 09:28:54 AM
Because the current state of affairs isn't sustainable.

Are you talking about energy? That problem's not one that's going to be solved by politicians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2011, 09:42:57 AM
Are you talking about energy? That problem's not one that's going to be solved by politicians.

Pretty sure he is talking about government fiscal management.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2011, 09:28:54 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2011, 04:13:11 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2011, 04:05:12 AM
  As for centrism, I'm as capable of pragmatic compromise as anyone, and perhaps moreso than most, but pragmatic compromise is not an inspiring vision of the future or an end goal to work toward.
Why do we need to be working toward something?
Because the current state of affairs isn't sustainable.

Then surely we'll end up somewhere else without having to work?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 09:52:57 AM

Eh, well I don't think of balancing the budget as the kind of broad visionary structural change Ide was talking about.

Ideologue

Balancing the budget isn't a bad thing.  I just don't think austerity measures on the part of the state should be the principal, let alone only, solution.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Grallon on November 17, 2011, 08:02:41 PM
And you my friend presuppose goodwill and good-faith where there are none.

Not at all.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2011, 04:05:12 AM
As for centrism, I'm as capable of pragmatic compromise as anyone, and perhaps moreso than most, but pragmatic compromise is not an inspiring vision of the future or an end goal to work toward.

Why? A lot of those small victories end up totaling a giant victory.

And since when was "let's build something that works" not inspiring?

fhdz

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2011, 06:25:17 PM
I agree, generally.  I don't think there are really any pragmatic politics - it always seems to me to just be a way to try and close of discussion.  So I think Blair had his own vision and ideology, so did MacMillan - they're probably the most ideologically malleable and neutral figures I can think of.  I imagine it's the same in the US.  I think you've got to have a direction of travel, you need to marry pragmatism to some sense of ideology or you get the European Commission. 

Yes, but I guess my point is that your ideology doesn't have to be based on a fiction.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 09:52:57 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2011, 09:42:57 AM
Both, and more.  Western society, with its focus on personal freedom and prioritizing of creature comforts above all other considerations.  Energy use and fiscal carelessness are merely symptoms of the real problem.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Loving freedom and comfort didn't stop us from winning World War II and the Cold War.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2011, 04:05:12 AMAs for centrism, I'm as capable of pragmatic compromise as anyone, and perhaps moreso than most, but pragmatic compromise is not an inspiring vision of the future or an end goal to work toward.

That's a pity.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2011, 12:45:13 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2011, 04:05:12 AMAs for centrism, I'm as capable of pragmatic compromise as anyone, and perhaps moreso than most, but pragmatic compromise is not an inspiring vision of the future or an end goal to work toward.

That's a pity.

Which part?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2011, 12:32:38 PM
Loving freedom and comfort didn't stop us from winning World War II and the Cold War.
And?  Those are irrelevant and small conflicts that took place in the past.  There's a future ahead of you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
And?  Those are irrelevant and small conflicts that took place in the past.  There's a future ahead of you.

I won't live to see it. :(

fhdz