The demonization of pedophiles.

Started by Razgovory, November 16, 2011, 10:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 11:07:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 10:45:06 AM
I'm not trolling. :(

It sure smelled like: Marty bait.
I really hope everyone's rationality hasn't ruled out the chance of a Martyexplosion. Hopefully he'll only read the OP :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 16, 2011, 11:50:53 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 11:07:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 10:45:06 AM
I'm not trolling. :(

It sure smelled like: Marty bait.
I really hope everyone's rationality hasn't ruled out the chance of a Martyexplosion. Hopefully he'll only read the OP :)

...and he'll be annoyed that it was Grallon rather than himself that got to suck the little boy's cock.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Martinus

Raz's trolling aside (yeah it's so blatant I don't even go for it), I think it is a more interesting question why pedophiles (and sex offenders, in general) are so vilified, compared even to murderers, for example.

For example, why there is a public interest in me knowing that someone living next door was once arrested for indecent exposure, than knowing he killed 5 people.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 11:05:11 AM
Quote from: Maximus on November 16, 2011, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: dps on November 16, 2011, 10:37:30 AM
Pedophiles are demonized because we consider minors unable to give meaningful consent.  I don't know that there's all that much more to it.
Yea, one is consensual, the other is not. Now you can argue about what the age of consent should be. Most people would set it above 10 though.

Yep.  Non-consensual sex is demonized for every flavor of sexuality.

Yes, but it's non-consensual because of an arbitrary line in the sand.  Other cultures, like the ancient Greeks didn't have such a problem with this.  As I pointed out in my example, the law plays with that line.  The same person can be simultaneously an adult as a perpetrator and a minor as a victim.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2011, 11:59:58 AM
Raz's trolling aside (yeah it's so blatant I don't even go for it), I think it is a more interesting question why pedophiles (and sex offenders, in general) are so vilified, compared even to murderers, for example.

For example, why there is a public interest in me knowing that someone living next door was once arrested for indecent exposure, than knowing he killed 5 people.
It's very easy to demand ever stronger punishments for sex offenders.  Even if people don't agree with you, the vast majority won't hold you in contempt for that position.  It's very hard to demand roll-back of sex offender laws, for obvious reasons.  Therefore, there is an assymetry of intensity, and lack of open debate. 

Sex offender laws are the kind of laws that Supreme Courts were made to strike down, because they're nearly impossible to strike down by political process.  Unfortunately, the shortcomings of the US Supreme Court are also very obvious, and lately the trend hasn't been one of supporting the rights of individuals (unless the individuals are just legal fictions).

Razgovory

Okay, maybe I should step back.  What do board members think of the claims that a pedophile is predisposed toward his sexual peculiarity?  That the pedophile lusts for small children because that's the way his head is wired.  He was born that way.  Is this a legitimate statement?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:13:22 PM
Okay, maybe I should step back.  What do board members think of the claims that a pedophile is predisposed toward his sexual peculiarity?  That the pedophile lusts for small children because that's the way his head is wired.  He was born that way.  Is this a legitimate statement?

Tricky given the large percentage of them that were victims of sexual predators when they were kids.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Born that way? Maybe in some cases.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:04:34 PM
Yes, but it's non-consensual because of an arbitrary line in the sand.  Other cultures, like the ancient Greeks didn't have such a problem with this.  As I pointed out in my example, the law plays with that line.  The same person can be simultaneously an adult as a perpetrator and a minor as a victim.

It is a question I have wondered about.  Today we can point to, convincingly I think, the large amount of social damage sexual abuse of kids causes.  But were the ancient greeks somehow insulated from  it?  Is it our cultural taboo that creates the damage in someway?  Or, conversley, did it cause large amounts of social damage in ancient Greece?

I think on these lines with regards to child physical abuse, once so common, as well.  Was it this tendency that created the violent societies in the past or was the very fact those societies were so violent somehow made the physical abuse less damaging?

Not sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2011, 11:59:58 AM

A person who murdered another many years ago may, depending on his reasons, never murder again, but a guy whose only way of getting off is to have sex with kids strikes me as more of a problem, because he will always be tempted to go for kids.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Besides I am pretty sure serial killers and sadists are more vilified than sexual predators.  I mean organizations like the Catholic Church and Penn State would never have covered for murders and somebody who kidnapped and tortured people.

crazy canuck

It is a relevant question only to the extent of whether they should ever be released from prison (or in capital punishment land simply executed).  If they are just born that way and nothing can help them then the answer is pretty straight forward imo.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 12:18:46 PM
It is a question I have wondered about.  Today we can point to, convincingly I think, the large amount of social damage sexual abuse of kids causes.  But were the ancient greeks somehow insulated from  it?  Is it our cultural taboo that creates the damage in someway?  Or, conversley, did it cause large amounts of social damage in ancient Greece?

I think on these lines with regards to child physical abuse, once so common, as well.  Was it this tendency that created the violent societies in the past or was the very fact those societies were so violent somehow made the physical abuse less damaging?

Not sure.

The Spartans deliberately abused their children to make them effective warriors. The Spartans valued being a psychopath as a worthy trait (kids were trained to do stuff to helots which these days would qualify as psycopathic).

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 12:21:04 PM
I mean organizations like the Catholic Church and Penn State would never have covered for murders and somebody who kidnapped and tortured people.

Ouch.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.