News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Hoops 2011-2012

Started by Admiral Yi, November 15, 2011, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

History being made!

Just watched Duke beat Michigan St., handing coach K his 903rd career victory to pass his old mentor Bobby Knight and put him at #1.

Congratulations coach K. :cheers:

Capetan Mihali

Haven't seen any NCAA basketball on bar TVs here, but I share your goodwill even if I don't know what it means.   :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

crazy canuck

Yeah, that is very cool.  Heard the end of the game on the radio driving back from my son's practice. 

Berkut

Coach K is a d-bag. And Duke is the most righteously despised franchise in all major sports.

Leaving for NYC in a couple hours for Coaches vs. Cancer tournament. Taking Jake with me, it will be his first time at a college basketball game...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2011, 01:06:38 PM
Ah the sweet smell of envy.

Oh please. People don't despise UCLA, and they have more NCs than anyone. They don't despise North Carolina, or Kansas, or Florida.

Has nothing to do with envy, and everything to do with Coach K and the overwhelming douchebaggery that is Duke.

I imagine if they were not as successful as they are, nobody would care though.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2011, 01:04:08 PM
Leaving for NYC in a couple hours for Coaches vs. Cancer tournament. Taking Jake with me, it will be his first time at a college basketball game...

:thumbsup:  I'm taking Tommy to his first college hoops game in a week & a half.  I've taken him to 6 or 7 college football games, but hadn't gotten him to a basketball game yet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Going to see Arizona play St. John's?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 01:19:42 PM
Going to see Arizona play St. John's?

Yep, and then the finals or consolation game the next day.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2011, 01:13:42 PM
Has nothing to do with envy, and everything to do with Coach K and the overwhelming douchebaggery that is Duke.

I agree. Your view does have everything to do with Coach K.  He now has the most victories.  If only Arizona had such a douche  :(

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2011, 01:48:22 PM

I agree. Your view does have everything to do with Coach K.  He now has the most victories.  If only Arizona had such a douche  :( 
:lol:  I don't think Berkut's irritation with Coach K has to do with Coach K's victory total (I remember hearing him hate on Coach K and his douchebaggery back when he wasn't the leader in wins).  I also don't think Berkut would swap Olsen's years for Coach K's.

Personally, i don't have a problem with Krzyzewski.  To have 11 final-four appearances in 31 years is impressive.  He's no Wooden, and never will be, but he gets results and hasn't been touched by scandal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2011, 01:48:22 PM

That makes no sense, which I guess has become pretty normal.

Coach K was a douche even before he was the leader in wins. I imagine now Dukedom will be even worse, because we will have to listen Dookie V. spooging about that in every single broadcast as well, but I've thought Duke was contemptible long before he reached 903.

And I would not trade Arizona's legacy for Duke ever. Arizona has nowhere near that level of success, and nowhere near that level of douchebaggedness either.

Actually, Arizona football did have almost as big an asshat as Coach K - Stoops certainly acted like a great big crybaby just like K. Never had anywhere near that kind of success with it though...

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Your hatred runs deep that is certain.  But that only means the envy has been their for years.  This is just the lastest reason.

Admiral Yi

What makes K a douche, Throbby?

When I think of coaches who are douches I think of guys who are constantly screaming at their players, like Pitino and Whatshisface at Kentucky. 

Maybe all Italian coaches since Rollie Massimino. :hmm:

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2011, 02:37:41 PM
What makes K a douche, Throbby?

When I think of coaches who are douches I think of guys who are constantly screaming at their players, like Pitino and Whatshisface at Kentucky. 

Maybe all Italian coaches since Rollie Massimino. :hmm:

He is a total prima donna. Screams at officials, demands that he gets calls, acts like an asshole in press conferences, and just the entire Duke sense of entitlement and "Oh, look at us, we are so white and such winners! Aren't we special!"

Coach K taking a season off when his team sucked doesn't help. Coach K being one of the biggest whiners towards officials there is in college basketball, and largely getting away with it, sure doesn't help either.

I hate that he is held up as this paragon of "the right way" when if you actually pay attention, he is a complete asshole. He treats people like shit, but only when he is in a position where they cannot harm him. He is a complete phony.

Some of it is because it is just plain fun to hate Duke - and they always get the most easily despised players in college basketball, just the little prima donna twerps like Reddick and Wojo and Laetner.

And finally, of course, there is the media which fawns all over Coach and the precious Dookies every year. Vitale alone accounts for at least 30% of my contempt for Duke. Why do I have to hear about Duke in games that Vitale is covering that don't even fucking involve Duke?

0 rows returned