News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Hoops 2011-2012

Started by Admiral Yi, November 15, 2011, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2011, 02:49:50 PM
He is a total prima donna. Screams at officials, demands that he gets calls, acts like an asshole in press conferences,

Damn-- there are a lot of douches coaching college basketball, then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Yeah, it seems to me the coaches who work the officials far outnumber those who don't, and K is not a particularly egregious example of the breed.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2011, 03:00:29 PM
Yeah, it seems to me the coaches who work the officials far outnumber those who don't, and K is not a particularly egregious example of the breed.

But he is - he is well known as being one of the most foul mouthed assholes on the court, at least amongst officials.

There are others like him, of course - his mentor Mr. Knight is a fine example, but the difference is that those others are also well known as being louts. While Coach K is held up as some kind of paragon of class and virtue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2011, 02:52:39 PM
He is a total prima donna. Screams at officials, demands that he gets calls, acts like an asshole in press conferences,

Damn-- there are a lot of douches coaching college basketball, then.

True, but none have perfected the art like Duke and Coach K.

0 rows returned

Valmy

And finally, of course, there is the media which fawns all over Coach and the precious Dookies every year. Vitale alone accounts for at least 30% of my contempt for Duke. Why do I have to hear about Duke in games that Vitale is covering that don't even fucking involve Duke?

They know what school drives ratings.  They smooch the hand that feeds them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2011, 01:40:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 01:19:42 PM
Going to see Arizona play St. John's?

Yep, and then the finals or consolation game the next day.

Sounds fun...except the weird morning start times.  Does this happen every year?  Because we have games starting at like midnight and crazy stuff like that this year.  Maybe it has always happened and I just missed it but it just seems wrong for some reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2011, 03:07:53 PM
But he is - he is well known as being one of the most foul mouthed assholes on the court, at least amongst officials.

Foul mouthed I can see.  I still chuckle when I think of that clip of K yelling "fuck you, Dean."

But I would be interested to know where you picked up that refs consider him an asshole.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2011, 03:12:54 PM
Sounds fun...except the weird morning start times.  Does this happen every year?  Because we have games starting at like midnight and crazy stuff like that this year.  Maybe it has always happened and I just missed it but it just seems wrong for some reason.

The midnight games are usually for the first permitted day of competition.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2011, 03:21:33 PM
The midnight games are usually for the first permitted day of competition.

Midnight practices sure...for the traditional midnight madness.

But yeah this was probably just a gimmick to start the season.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2011, 03:14:58 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2011, 03:07:53 PM

Foul mouthed I can see.  I still chuckle when I think of that clip of K yelling "fuck you, Dean."

But I would be interested to know where you picked up that refs consider him an asshole.

You don't watch much Duke basketball, I take it?

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2011, 03:35:12 PM
You don't watch much Duke basketball, I take it?

You take it wrong.

It sounds to me Throbby that when you see K working the refs, and his face scrunches up like a Slavic concentration camp guard and the veins in his head start throbbing like Gary Williams, you think to yourself that it would be particularly unpleasant to be the recipient, and therefore the refs must hate it too.

crazy canuck

The worst ref is a ref with a chip on his shoulder. :P

Eddie Teach

I think the general impression of Duke douchebaggyness(and Berkut's hardly the first person I've seen mention it) most likely stems from the fact that they're both from an academically prestigious school(with all the insufferability that comes with that) and have successful teams. Ivy leaguers don't have much room to put on airs about their sports teams.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2011, 12:57:54 AM
Ivy leaguers don't have much room to put on airs about their sports teams.

Harvard will always have its 1989 Ice Hockey National Championship though.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2011, 12:57:54 AM
I think the general impression of Duke douchebaggyness(and Berkut's hardly the first person I've seen mention it) most likely stems from the fact that they're both from an academically prestigious school(with all the insufferability that comes with that) and have successful teams. Ivy leaguers don't have much room to put on airs about their sports teams.
Stanford often has good teams and they don't seem insufferable.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point