News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Hoops 2011-2012

Started by Admiral Yi, November 15, 2011, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Stanford has plenty of championship teams in sports nobody cares about. Winning the Pac-10 4 times in 50 years is nothing to crow about. Also, they're in San Francisco, so probably attract a more laid-back student body than most.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2011, 12:57:54 AM
I think the general impression of Duke douchebaggyness(and Berkut's hardly the first person I've seen mention it) most likely stems from the fact that they're both from an academically prestigious school(with all the insufferability that comes with that) and have successful teams. Ivy leaguers don't have much room to put on airs about their sports teams.

Exactly. Envy. They are good on every level - especially their coach. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2011, 11:57:22 AM
I think the general impression of Duke douchebaggyness(and Berkut's hardly the first person I've seen mention it) most likely stems from the fact that they're both from an academically prestigious school(with all the insufferability that comes with that) and have successful teams. Ivy leaguers don't have much room to put on airs about their sports teams.

Exactly. Envy.

That's hardly exactly what I was saying. I'd guess Duke students & alumni are as prone to behave in certain ways because of their school as observers are to misjudge them because of their school.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2011, 12:24:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2011, 11:57:22 AM

Exactly. Envy.

That's hardly exactly what I was saying. I'd guess Duke students & alumni are as prone to behave in certain ways because of their school as observers are to misjudge them because of their school.

You said people hated them because Duke is both great both as an academic institution and a sports institution.  Isnt that envy?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2011, 12:38:13 PM
You said people hated them because Duke is both great both as an academic institution and a sports institution.  Isnt that envy?

I suspect it's not so much how great Duke is but the belief that Duke people try to rub it in their faces more than most.

crazy canuck

How so?

From what Berk said he is most upset that others talk about how great Duke is.  But if an institution is as great as Duke shouldnt people talk about them?

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 17, 2011, 11:50:56 AM
Stanford often has good teams and they don't seem insufferable.

Indeed. Stanford is far and away more athletically successful than Duke, but they don't come across like a bunch of pretentious douchebags.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2011, 12:58:31 PM
How so?

From what Berk said he is most upset that others talk about how great Duke is.  But if an institution is as great as Duke shouldnt people talk about them?

Right, that is nothing like what I said.

Which of course is pretty "duh" at this point when it comes to you and responding to posts from those you've decided need your special brand of attention.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2011, 11:56:01 AM
Stanford has plenty of championship teams in sports nobody cares about. Winning the Pac-10 4 times in 50 years is nothing to crow about. Also, they're in San Francisco, so probably attract a more laid-back student body than most.

Indeed - nowhere near the level of douchebag that you see out of Duke.

UCLA is at the same prestigious academic level as Duke, and even more success than Duke in basketball, and yet you don't see people hating on UCLA. Because they aren't a bunch of pretentious douchebags led by a self important money grubbing asshole who treats people like shit.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2011, 03:47:34 PM
UCLA is at the same prestigious academic level as Duke, and even more success than Duke in basketball, and yet you don't see people hating on UCLA. Because they aren't a bunch of pretentious douchebags led by a self important money grubbing asshole who treats people like shit.

Really?  I bet tons of people hated UCLA when Wooden was still coaching.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2011, 03:50:21 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2011, 03:47:34 PM

Really?  I bet tons of people hated UCLA when Wooden was still coaching.

Perhaps, because some people really do just plain have envy issues.

But I bet it was nothing like the contempt people have for Duke. And of course, Wooden actually was a class act, instead of being an asshole.

Could you imagine Wooden swearing at officials like some kind of howler monkey, or telling reporters they are stupid for asking him questions after they lose a game? Or quitting on his team because they aren't going to win a bunch of games that year, then asking the NCAA to place those losses on your assistant coach rather than your own record?

I don't think so.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2011, 11:56:01 AM
Stanford has plenty of championship teams in sports nobody cares about.

I bet people from Stanford care about them though, and it hasn't turned them into a bunch of insufferable twats.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2011, 03:44:13 PM

Poor Berk, the memory is the first thing to go.

QuoteAnd finally, of course, there is the media which fawns all over Coach and the precious Dookies every year. Vitale alone accounts for at least 30% of my contempt for Duke. Why do I have to hear about Duke in games that Vitale is covering that don't even fucking involve Duke?

I suppose your envious hatred of Duke has blown a vessel in your brain.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2011, 04:24:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2011, 03:44:13 PM

Poor Berk, the memory is the first thing to go.

QuoteAnd finally, of course, there is the media which fawns all over Coach and the precious Dookies every year. Vitale alone accounts for at least 30% of my contempt for Duke. Why do I have to hear about Duke in games that Vitale is covering that don't even fucking involve Duke?

I suppose your envious hatred of Duke has blown a vessel in your brain.

Yeah, because a comment that starts with "And finally..." and rhetorically includes "30%' is obviously what I am "most upset" about.

Whatever CC. You keep taking your personal beef from thread to thread, I think I am going to just start ignoring you, it simply isn't worth the effort anymore.

0 rows returned

PDH

I agree with Berk - his brain blood vessels can handle 1000 times more pressure than Duke puts on them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM