News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NBA 2011-12 Season Dead

Started by jimmy olsen, November 14, 2011, 03:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

szmik

It doesn't surprise me at all. :rolleyes:

When the owners prefer losing money due to lockout rather than overpaid stars, and players are crying over few bucks they'd lose - compared to what they earn; you know the season will be dead for a year or two.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

HVC

Start over again. draft the college stars, import foreigners, and offer the chance for the the current NBA players to come back. Those who don't will be inellible to play. or if black listing them is illegal then set up a fine system. any time that hires a old player who didn't initially return will be fine 5 times their salary.

Problem solved. Stupid million dollar cry babies
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

fhdz

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 14, 2011, 03:05:24 PM
It's dead Jim!  :cry:

Good. Bunch of assholes, the whole lot of them. Good riddance. Grab some humility in the off-season and try the fuck again next year.
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

The players made the mistake of thinking they are the NBA.  I dont think that has been true since Magic/Bird/Jordan played.  Imo most fans still watch the NBA despite many of the players.

The NBA management learned valuable lessons watching how the NHL handled their dispute.  My prediction is that in the end the owners will get a deal they are happy with.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on November 14, 2011, 05:24:20 PM
Start over again. draft the college stars, import foreigners, and offer the chance for the the current NBA players to come back. Those who don't will be inellible to play. or if black listing them is illegal then set up a fine system. any time that hires a old player who didn't initially return will be fine 5 times their salary.

Problem solved. Stupid million dollar cry babies

Problem not quite solved; you need to fix the rest.  Cut ticket and concession prices by 50% and cap price increases at the SS COLA rate.  Cap the total non-player compensation at 50% of the total player salary.  Split TV revenues (all sources) 50-50 and give half to the teams, half to charity.  Ban all non-team advertising from sports arenas.

Now you could say "Problem solved." Stupid billion dollar cry babies
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

The Larch

The season is not dead! It's just resting.  :P

AFAIK the players, which I'm surprised to see getting so much vitriol over here, have been more flexible in the negotiations than the owners (which were dominated in the negotiations by a small group hardliners in them), and finally accepted the 50/50 split in revenues that was the main beef of the negotiations, but the owners didn't back down in the restrictions on player movement that they wanted to impose. Even if it's a case of "a pox in both houses", IMO the owners are more to blame for the final breakdown of the negotiations than the players.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 06:00:35 PM
The players made the mistake of thinking they are the NBA.  I dont think that has been true since Magic/Bird/Jordan played.  Imo most fans still watch the NBA despite many of the players.

They may not be watching because of the personalities of the top stars, but the idea that the league is filled with the top players in the world is still the chief draw. College sports are a much better avenue for civic/regional pride.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

This just breaks my heart.

Hopefully, some franchises will fold over this.

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2011, 07:29:54 AM
This just breaks my heart.

Hopefully, some franchises will fold over this.

Can the league do without the Sacramento Kings or the New Orleans Hornets?  :cry:

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 06:00:35 PM
Imo most fans still watch the NBA despite many of the players.

Then they're being silly, as the worst offenders from the gangsta age are all gone (Iverson, Rasheed Wallace) or in decadence (Arenas). The younger stars are much more clean-cut and non controversial, just look at Kevin Durant for instance. The only one that comes close at the past crop of stars is Carmelo Anthony, and he's behaved lately, besides getting into Reality TV. :p

Incidentally, if the season is cancelled many veteran players like Jason Kidd, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen  or Steve Nash might choose to retire, as they were in the last years of their contracts.

KRonn

I haven't been following, so I don't know or care too much who is more at fault. Too bad though for all the people who work at the stadiums, businesses inside and outside the stadiums who will take a heavy loss.

The Larch

Quote from: KRonn on November 15, 2011, 08:19:52 AM
I haven't been following, so I don't know or care too much who is more at fault. Too bad though for all the people who work at the stadiums, businesses inside and outside the stadiums who will take a heavy loss.

Those are already getting thrashed, as well as non essential staff from the teams. AFAIK some Lakers players were ponying the cash to pay some of the club employees during the lockout.

There are also some cities (Memphis and possibly Sacramento at least) threatening to sue the teams and the league, as their arenas were built through bonds that are paid with game revenues that are not taking place, letting the cities on the hook for millions.