News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NBA 2011-12 Season Dead

Started by jimmy olsen, November 14, 2011, 03:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 17, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
The only exceptions in general are people who went to or whose father went to a big sports college.  And they are pretty much on their own, though I think there are a few bars in New York that cater to the bigger constituencies.

There are bars in New York dedicated to most BCS schools. Saw a story about that on GameDay.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2011, 01:29:21 PM
The only exceptions in general are people who went to or whose father went to a big sports college.  And they are pretty much on their own, though I think there are a few bars in New York that cater to the bigger constituencies.

There are bars in New York dedicated to most BCS schools. Saw a story about that on GameDay.

And they only exist because lots of people in NY come from all over the place.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 17, 2011, 01:39:11 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2011, 01:29:21 PM

And they only exist because lots of people in NY come from all over the place.

Ok you lost me.  Tim is right except for the fact that people come from all over to live in NY and so he is wrong?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2011, 01:40:28 PM
Ok you lost me.  Tim is right except for the fact that people come from all over to live in NY and so he is wrong?

NYC is full of Midwestern transplants.  I mentioned a couple of other exceptions.

I'm just giving my general impressions having lived in the Northeastern US my whole life, I'm not much of a sports fan and might be misjudging people's affinities.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

crazy canuck

It seems to me that the Big East schools have a lot of support and get a lot of TV coverage.  I see a lot of them out here.  So it can't just be a few people sitting around some bars in NY that are watching.

Valmy

UConn basketball maybe, but only in Connecticut.  And only because 1) There is nothing else interesting about Connecticut, 2) There are no pro teams there since the Whalers left, and 3) The state is split into NY and Boston fanbases.

I always find it amusing when Northeasterners describe Connecticut as hicksville.  I mean it is like 20 minutes to many major urban areas in virtually every direction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

The strip along the coast until New Haven and heading north to Hartford is fairly urban, but the interior is seriously rural.  The north/south hills with a few main roads running east/west mean there's a lot of little towns all over the place surrounded by not much.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on November 17, 2011, 02:03:16 PM
The strip along the coast until New Haven and heading north to Hartford is fairly urban, but the interior is seriously rural.  The north/south hills with a few main roads running east/west mean there's a lot of little towns all over the place surrounded by not much.

Connecticut is way too small to really be that rural.  Suburban maybe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2011, 01:53:04 PM
It seems to me that the Big East schools have a lot of support and get a lot of TV coverage.  I see a lot of them out here.  So it can't just be a few people sitting around some bars in NY that are watching.

Keep in mind that New York state is not part of New England.  Once you get in to New England proper, about the only team with any success is Yukon.

I've always wondered about the demographic at UConn.  What kind of person lives in Connecticut, sends their kid(s) to college, but doesn't have money for a private school?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2011, 02:11:37 PM
Keep in mind that New York state is not part of New England.  Once you get in to New England proper, about the only team with any success is Yukon.

I wasn't even counting upstate NY or central PA as part of the Northeast for these purposes. 

I've always wondered about the demographic at UConn.  What kind of person lives in Connecticut, sends their kid(s) to college, but doesn't have money for a private school?

The state's not totally comprised of WASP gated communities and Puerto Rican ghettos...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 17, 2011, 02:18:03 PM
The state's not totally comprised of WASP gated communities and Puerto Rican ghettos...

Sure, it has immigrant Indian financial engineers too.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2011, 02:19:47 PM

Sure, it has immigrant Indian financial engineers too.

And factory workers, mechanics, managers at big box stores, construction foremen, etc.

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2011, 02:08:43 PM

Connecticut is way too small to really be that rural.  Suburban maybe.

And yet it is.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2011, 01:53:04 PM
The population of Eastern cities are big enough that only a small percentage have to care about a college to move ratings. The fandoms can't compare to the ones for the pro teams though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Don't talk smack about my cousins.  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point