And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2012, 09:04:12 AM
Mike McQuery is now the last Penn state QB with a winning record!  :D
Nope.  You can't make things unhappen.  That's how time works.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2012, 09:59:02 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2012, 09:04:12 AM
Mike McQuery is now the last Penn state QB with a winning record!  :D
Nope.  You can't make things unhappen.  That's how time works.

:D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Seems that they lost more scholarships than I thought.  :huh:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2012/7/23/3177329/penn-state-football-recruiting-impact-ncaa-sanctions/in/2304037

QuotePenn State received a penalty of 10 initial scholarships and 20 total per year. What this means is that Penn State's recruiting class size is restricted to 15 for each of the next four years, and that the maximum roster size for each of the next four years is 65.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

FCS scholarship numbers. 

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2012, 10:14:06 AM
Seems that they lost more scholarships than I thought.  :huh:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2012/7/23/3177329/penn-state-football-recruiting-impact-ncaa-sanctions/in/2304037

QuotePenn State received a penalty of 10 initial scholarships and 20 total per year. What this means is that Penn State's recruiting class size is restricted to 15 for each of the next four years, and that the maximum roster size for each of the next four years is 65.

Yeah it looks like many of the main outlets have now revised coverage of that bit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2012, 09:51:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2012, 09:51:02 AM
Quote from: katmai on July 23, 2012, 09:46:03 AM
Well it was really only recourse to punish Paterno that they had.

What's the point in punishing the dead?

This.

Yep.  His legacy is sufficiently tarnished without going back & altering the record books.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Arizona has immediate opening for all kinds of spots!

WTB DEs, LBs, another QB who can run, some depth on OL...can we just grab the entire Penn State roster?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Normally schools can offer a maximum 25 new scholarships each year and can have a total of 85 players on scholarship at any one time.

With the sanctions PSU can only offer 15 new per year and can only have 65 total.  So it isn't really that big a change from what was originally reported.

Berkut

Holy.
Shit.

You know what this means?

One of the most embarrassing, soul crushing, and program killing losses in Arizona history NEVER HAPPENED!

Arizona 1999: 7-5!

Arizona coming off a top ten finish in 1998 was ranked in the top-10 going into 1999. SI said we were going to win the national title.

We opened at Penn State, and LaVar funcing Arrington just took us apart, and the season was a huge disappointment.

Or rather, we thought he did - now it turn out that it never actually happened!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

No still only won 8 games and Zona still full of fail.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

Wyoming got a vacated win against an SEC team a while back, iirc.  Didn't help, they still really lost the game.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PDH on July 23, 2012, 10:27:08 AM
Wyoming got a vacated win against an SEC team a while back, iirc.  Didn't help, they still really lost the game.

That was Colorado.  They had to forfeit a bunch of wins.  They weren't vacated like this.

When it's vacated, the W is just zeroed out.  They don't change the records of the other teams.

alfred russel

I'm curious about a couple of things...I thought in 1998 the police were somehow notified and did an investigation, but for some reason didn't pursue anything. In 2001 Sandusky was seen in the shower. With that timeline, why punish back to 1998? Was Joe Paterno supposed to lead a lynch mob against the guy?

Also, Penn State is a non profit educational institution, supported by taxpayers. Football scandal aside, it is apparently a good one. What good does transferring $60m from it to other charities do (like say, the second mile)? I know Penn State wouldn't do so because of the PR implications, but giving lower income Pennsylvania students $60m in scholarship opportunities to Penn State would seem to be a very solid charitable gift. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

if I'm remembering correctly the DA's investigating early on ran into outright rudeness and rage from the cops at the idea of going after Penn State.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on July 23, 2012, 10:34:53 AM
I'm curious about a couple of things...I thought in 1998 the police were somehow notified and did an investigation, but for some reason didn't pursue anything. In 2001 Sandusky was seen in the shower. With that timeline, why punish back to 1998? Was Joe Paterno supposed to lead a lynch mob against the guy?

Also, Penn State is a non profit educational institution, supported by taxpayers. Football scandal aside, it is apparently a good one. What good does transferring $60m from it to other charities do (like say, the second mile)? I know Penn State wouldn't do so because of the PR implications, but giving lower income Pennsylvania students $60m in scholarship opportunities to Penn State would seem to be a very solid charitable gift.
The police were surprised that the '98 case wasn't prosecuted. I'm betting that Paterno influenced that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point