Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jaron on July 22, 2012, 06:30:16 PM
Death penalty please.

:)

Make it easier for Ohio State in the Big Ten. PLEASE.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Worth than the death penalty?

Your stupidity in this thread is driving me crazy, Tim.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

stjaba

CBS Sports is reporting that Penn State will be fined somewhere between $30 million and $60 million. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19632027

:whistle:

Quote from: stjaba on July 22, 2012, 09:18:28 AM
Anyone want to predict what the "unprecedented penalty" would be?

I predict it will be:
Significant Financial penalties

I wonder if Penn State's insurance would cover that? I suspect probably not. Which reminds me:

I can identify one winner in all this mess: the lawyers of Central Pennsylvania. Between the Freeh report(it apparently cost several million dollars), the lawsuits that will be filed against Penn State and Second Mile, the criminal cases, and likely litigation between Penn State and its insurers over insurance coverage, this thing is going to be going on for a long time and will be lucrative for a select group of people.

Neil

Lawyers are worse than Sandusky.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2012, 07:18:51 PM
Lawyers are worse than Sandusky.
They indirectly enable him and others.
PDH!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2012, 06:55:19 PM
Worth than the death penalty?

Your stupidity in this thread is driving me crazy, Tim.

What he said would most definitely be worse than the death penalty.  Worth though?  I dunno.

E:  I don't think that 5 + 5 thing is going to happen though, or at least not the complete loss of scholarships part.  The bowl ban and the loss of, say, ten to fifteen scholarships per year for five years, a TV (revenue) ban, the fine, new NCAA oversight, etc, would wreck the program pretty well.  The Big 10 could get in on it like they're sort of talking about after that and make sure PSU stays fucked for a while.  I don't really have any reason for not thinking they'll take all scholarships, just don't think they will.  We'll find out tomorrow morning.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

All the anti-Paterno rage from the Timmay crybabies is hillarious.

Eddie Teach

Is that comment supposed to relate to Tim's post above it somehow?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2012, 10:21:24 PM

Like hilarious, but different somehow?  :huh:

sbr

Neil

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 22, 2012, 10:54:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2012, 10:21:24 PM

Like hilarious, but different somehow?  :huh:
What's your fucking problem?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2012, 11:33:05 PM
What's your fucking problem?

Your spelling.  e2: I shouldn't say that.  Neil is just doin his thing.

Anyway, here's this thing:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19633881

QuoteIowa president: Big Ten has 'jurisdiction' to punish Penn State

You wouldn't think it could get worse for Penn State with the NCAA president threatening to impose football sanctions that would make USC's look like a slap on the proverbial wrist. You'd apparently be wrong.

University of Iowa president Sally Mason told the Des Moines Register Thursday that the Big Ten also had "jurisdiction" to punish the Nittany Lions over the school's handling of Jerry Sandusky and would be considering sanctions of its own once the NCAA has announced its sanctions. The Register published the remarks in a story Sunday.

"I think you can expect when the NCAA is ready to talk about what the appropriate actions are with regard to Penn State, that we'll be ready to talk about appropriate actions with regard to the conference as well," Mason said. "We're watching the NCAA closely."

"The conference definitely has jurisdiction to take action in a case like this," she said. "Exactly what actions we'll take ... it's premature."

Mason is the chair of the Big Ten's council of presidents and chancellors.

Although the NCAA's punishment seems likely to consist of massive scholarship losses, a multiyear bowl ban and possibly the revival of a television ban, the Big Ten's potential sanctions are more nebulous. The league could withhold conference revenues, remove the Nittany Lions from its Big Ten Network or require additional scholarship losses or bowl suspensions to complement the NCAA's.

The Big Ten could also deploy the nuclear option: booting Penn State out of the conference entirely. The Chronicle of Higher Education reported last week that the league hasn't ruled out taking a vote on the school's continuing membership, one that would require eight of the 12 schools to vote in favor of Penn State's removal for the proposal to pass. The conference bylaws require any member that fails to show complete, accurate information during an investigation to "show cause why its membership in the conference should not be suspended or terminated."

(It's worth noting that the Big Ten subsequently issued a statement refuting much of that same Chronicle report ... except for the speculation over a Penn State vote.)

But for now, whatever its inclinations regarding Penn State -- and given Mason's tone and her position of leadership among the league's most powerful administrators, its inclinations probably aren't all that friendly -- the Big Ten can do nothing but wait to see what NCAA president Mark Emmert unveils tomorrow. Many observers said following Jerry Sandusky's conviction that the bad news had only begun for Penn State; that's a prediction that's so far proven all too true.

CountDeMoney

If only Phil Fulmer was alive today to see this.