News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 01:04:37 PM

It's really bizarre - you've posted far more vitriol directed at McQ than at Sandusky.

I agree with Meri on this. Sandusky I can at least rationalize as someone who has something wrong in his head. Assuming he didn't call the cops, McQuery seems to have acted either with extreme cowardice or indifference to abuse he knew was occuring.

Also, I don't see as going to the cops as going over my bosses head. There isn't a chain of command in the american workplace through which we report serious crimes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 18, 2011, 01:55:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 01:04:37 PM

It's really bizarre - you've posted far more vitriol directed at McQ than at Sandusky.

I agree with Meri on this. Sandusky I can at least rationalize as someone who has something wrong in his head. Assuming he didn't call the cops, McQuery seems to have acted either with extreme cowardice or indifference to abuse he knew was occuring.

Also, I don't see as going to the cops as going over my bosses head. There isn't a chain of command in the american workplace through which we report serious crimes.

But would his bosses have thought of it that way?

And to excuse the child rapist, but blame the witness just causes me to shake my head.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 01:57:19 PM
And to excuse the child rapist, but blame the witness just causes me to shake my head.

Let me be clear: I am not excusing the child rapist. As I've stated, he is beyond comtempt and should be anally raped every day for the rest of his life. That does not, however, give McQueary a pass.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

I suppose it depends on your willingness to forgive moral cowardice.

McQ's best defense is that he thought his bosses would do the investigating and reporting ... but at some point he had to be aware that the only action they took was to take away his shower key, and "report" to the charity (who in turn did nothing).

Sure it is understandable why he didn't report - presumably he didn't want to rock the boat because it could cost him his job or even get him blacklisted. Anyone can understand that, but to understand is not to condone. It isn't very admirable to allow a rapist to walk free to rape again just because you are worried about your career prospects.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Why is it called "cowardice" anyway? :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 18, 2011, 02:15:20 PM

QuoteAccording to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the word coward came into English from the Old French word coart (modern French couard), a combination of the word for "tail" (Modern French queue, Latin cauda) and an agent noun suffix. It would therefore have meant "one with a tail" — perhaps from the habit of animals displaying their tails in flight ("turning tail"), or from a dog's habit of putting its tail between its legs when it is afraid.[citation needed]. Like many other English words of French origin, this word was introduced in the English language by the French-speaking Normans, after the Norman conquest of England in 1066.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowardice
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 18, 2011, 02:03:42 PM

Let me be clear: I am not excusing the child rapist. As I've stated, he is beyond comtempt and should be anally raped every day for the rest of his life. That does not, however, give McQueary a pass.

Indeed. I would presume that Meri isn't wasting time blaming the child rapist as that is inherently obvious.  The point of contention is how culpable we should view McQ.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2011, 02:07:43 PM

McQ's best defense is that he thought his bosses would do the investigating and reporting ... but at some point he had to be aware that the only action they took was to take away his shower key, and "report" to the charity (who in turn did nothing).

Sure it is understandable why he didn't report - presumably he didn't want to rock the boat because it could cost him his job or even get him blacklisted. Anyone can understand that, but to understand is not to condone. It isn't very admirable to allow a rapist to walk free to rape again just because you are worried about your career prospects.

I agree entirely with this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2011, 02:07:43 PM

This.

Capetan Mihali

What about the possibility that he simply decided to stop snitchin'?   :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on November 18, 2011, 02:03:42 PM

Funny - I think Sandusky should be jailed for the rest of his life.  I don't know why you'd make the leap to him being raped.  :mellow:

And maybe I'm okay with 'doing nothing' because I see it all the time.  It is the exceptional person who speaks out in such circumstances, not the ordinary.  Very few people talk about domestic violence, drug abuse, sexual abuse, petty thefts, wyou name it - when it is conducted by someone you know or are related to.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Everyone who ever calls the cops should get a ticker tape parade and get to meet Jackie in the White House. I agree that such people are truly exceptional.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2011, 02:30:48 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 18, 2011, 02:15:20 PM

QuoteAccording to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the word coward came into English from the Old French word coart (modern French couard), a combination of the word for "tail" (Modern French queue, Latin cauda) and an agent noun suffix. It would therefore have meant "one with a tail" — perhaps from the habit of animals displaying their tails in flight ("turning tail"), or from a dog's habit of putting its tail between its legs when it is afraid.[citation needed]. Like many other English words of French origin, this word was introduced in the English language by the French-speaking Normans, after the Norman conquest of England in 1066.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowardice

We need a new word.

The Brain

I wouldn't want to work for an organization that would frown upon reporting serious crimes to the police. I've quit jobs over a LOT less than that. McQ was an adult. He could make whatever cowardly choices he wanted but people WILL judge him.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 03:01:37 PM
Funny - I think Sandusky should be jailed for the rest of his life.  I don't know why you'd make the leap to him being raped.  :mellow:

Eye for an eye and all that.

And maybe I'm okay with 'doing nothing' because I see it all the time.  It is the exceptional person who speaks out in such circumstances, not the ordinary.  Very few people talk about domestic violence, drug abuse, sexual abuse, petty thefts, wyou name it - when it is conducted by someone you know or are related to.

I'm glad that that is a callous I have not developed because I would be afraid that it would make it easier for me to walk away, something I cannot do easily.