News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Maybe he went to the campus police, not the 'real' police, and they didn't bother to follow up on it? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 07:01:09 PM
For those who were so quick to judgment based on the grand jury report, here is some more information from McQuery:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/mc-penn-state-scandal-mcqueary-20111115,0,676103.story

QuoteMike McQueary, the Penn State assistant football coach under fire for his reported lack of action in an alleged 2002 rape of a boy by Jerry Sandusky, said in an email to a former classmate that he stopped the assault in an athletic facility shower and discussed it with police.

In the email obtained by The Morning Call, McQueary wrote that he "did have discussions with police and with the official at the university in charge of police" following the alleged incident between Sandusky, a former Penn State assistant coach, and a boy. McQueary also wrote that he "is getting hammered for handling this the right way or what I thought at the time was right."

I really hope this is true, but it seems very unlikely.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Not really an assault, is it?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

What's the deal with Tim in this thread?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 10:37:07 PM

Pedophiles = safe target to get riled up with self-righteous indignation.  Tim likes to be indignant and to bandwagon, so it seems like a perfect match.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Ouch.  That's center mass.  Hope he was wearing his ballistic armor.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 15, 2011, 10:46:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 10:37:07 PM

Pedophiles = safe target to get riled up with self-righteous indignation.  Tim likes to be indignant and to bandwagon, so it seems like a perfect match.

I honestly don't understand that to well.  Pedophiles claim they can't help it.  They are born that way.  Why is one abnormal outlet of sexuality which people are predisposed to by birth demonized and another tolerated and even celebrated?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 07:21:16 PM
The grand jury report just mentioned that when seeing the incident "he left immediately"--it could be that he was spotted or said something and Sandusky somehow retreated. There is some wiggle room there.

I dont know.  "He left immediately" doesnt leave much wiggle room in my mind. It is curious that there is no mention in the GJ report of him stopping the rape.  That would seem to be a fairly significant fact.  It is also curious that if he did mention it to the police that the police did absolutely nothing about it.

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 04:38:56 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 15, 2011, 04:35:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 04:31:14 PM
Or simply have a different appreciation for being able to function as a normal member of society who also isn't in fear of personal attack.

"Not being in fear of personal attack" and "being in prison" don't have a lot in common....  :hmm:

Unless you mean being in solitary confinement?   :huh:

I assume they can find ways to keep you safe while you are in custody if you are at obvious risk of attack. Maybe that is solitary confinement, but I don't know much about how prison works.

The only way, really, is to keep you in solitary, as Mihali and I both suggested.  And don't assume that prison officials really want to go to any great lengths to keep convicted child molesters safe.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on November 16, 2011, 01:15:52 AM
The only way, really, is to keep you in solitary, as Mihali and I both suggested.  And don't assume that prison officials really want to go to any great lengths to keep convicted child molesters safe.

Solitary confinement in state prisons is a myth.  They will get to you, one way or another.

Rasputin

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2011, 11:49:33 PM
The grand jury report just mentioned that when seeing the incident "he left immediately"--it could be that he was spotted or said something and Sandusky somehow retreated. There is some wiggle room there.

I dont know.  "He left immediately" doesnt leave much wiggle room in my mind. It is curious that there is no mention in the GJ report of him stopping the rape.  That would seem to be a fairly significant fact.  It is also curious that if he did mention it to the police that the police did absolutely nothing about it.

:yes:

this reaks of ex post facto confabulation in reaction to the death threats hes received
Who is John Galt?

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2011, 11:49:33 PM

Maybe. There were also people in this thread implying that Paterno was less than truthful based the GJ report saying the GA told him "what he saw" and Paterno said the report was just "fondling or something of a sexual nature." Then the AG's office came out and said Paterno gave truthful testimony.

Regardless, it seems likely there is some combination of two possibiliites: 1) McQuery is telling the truth now, and the police were notified, in which case firing everyone seems completely wrong as they may have actually done the right thing, or 2) McQuery is now making stuff up about the incident, which calls into question the testimony he gave which is so much of the background of the grand jury testimony that led to everyone being fired.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: dps on November 16, 2011, 01:15:52 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 04:38:56 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 15, 2011, 04:35:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 04:31:14 PM
Or simply have a different appreciation for being able to function as a normal member of society who also isn't in fear of personal attack.

"Not being in fear of personal attack" and "being in prison" don't have a lot in common....  :hmm:

Unless you mean being in solitary confinement?   :huh:

I assume they can find ways to keep you safe while you are in custody if you are at obvious risk of attack. Maybe that is solitary confinement, but I don't know much about how prison works.

I saw a documentary on IIRC San Quentin and they had a "safe" area for pedophiles and ex-gangers etc. Not solitary, but only people who wouldn't last long among normal prisoners.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.