News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

So maybe that wasn't well thought out and didn't go so well. I also read that that Sandusky's lawyer got a 17 year old pregnant when he was pushing 50. So there seems to be a lot of problems here (which seems somewhat odd--I'd figure Sandusky would be media savvy and have the resources for a decent lawyer).

But still, if I was in Sandusky's spot, I'd want to talk to the media asap to get my side of the story out. Public opinion would be as important to me as a legal verdict. Maybe the former is a lost cause (maybe they both are), but I'd want to take that shot.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 15, 2011, 01:19:57 PM
WTF...The bit I bolded is pure insanity! :wacko:

Hey, give the guy a break.

He didn't bugger *every* kid in his charity.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on November 15, 2011, 02:56:16 PM

Hey, give the guy a break.

He didn't bugger *every* kid in his charity.  ;)

Can you share your professional experience: is that an effective criminal defense at trial? Now that he has given the interview and shown the his hand, do you think prosecution will be able to counter such a strategy at trial?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 02:53:53 PM
So maybe that wasn't well thought out and didn't go so well. I also read that that Sandusky's lawyer got a 17 year old pregnant when he was pushing 50. So there seems to be a lot of problems here (which seems somewhat odd--I'd figure Sandusky would be media savvy and have the resources for a decent lawyer).

But still, if I was in Sandusky's spot, I'd want to talk to the media asap to get my side of the story out. Public opinion would be as important to me as a legal verdict. Maybe the former is a lost cause (maybe they both are), but I'd want to take that shot.

Public opinion can be important, but it sure as hell isn't as important as a legal verdict.  20 to life when you're in your 60s is pretty damn important thing to avoid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2011, 03:06:12 PM

Public opinion can be important, but it sure as hell isn't as important as a legal verdict.  20 to life when you're in your 60s is pretty damn important thing to avoid.

There was a story that someone threw rocks through his window the other night. If he is going to be under seige the rest of his life, what is the point of avoiding a conviction?

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 03:10:54 PM

There was a story that someone threw rocks through his window the other night. If he is going to be under seige the rest of his life, what is the point of avoiding a conviction?

Right now he can always choose to move.  He can't if he's in jail.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2011, 03:13:39 PM

Where can he move to? He is a national pariah. Short of leaving the country, he is screwed.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 03:15:30 PM
Where can he move to? He is a national pariah. Short of leaving the country, he is screwed.

You vastly overestimate the attention span of the American Public.  It is not like this dude is OJ Simpson or Michael Jackson, few people will remember what he looks like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

After that interview he will be lucky if it is just rocks next time.

The Brain

It's "piranha". And no he's not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2011, 03:35:45 PM

It's "piranha". And no he's not.

It may well be "piñata" before this is through.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2011, 03:40:11 PM
Piccata?

That may be going a bit far - after all, the guy is what, over 50? Too tough.

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 02:53:53 PM

My guess is that Sandusky insisted on doing the interview against the advice of his lawyer.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi