Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2011, 05:29:41 PM
No one takes your trolling seriously Neil. :(

QuoteOk, I'll pretend to take you seriously for the sake of this discussion

oops.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2011, 07:10:28 AM
Never ceases to amaze me how much people still talk while under indictment and before their trial.

Kind of terrible to admit, but the first thing I thought when I saw the interview was how his lawyer must be hitting his head against a wall.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2011, 10:35:16 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2011, 05:29:41 PM
No one takes your trolling seriously Neil. :(

QuoteOk, I'll pretend to take you seriously for the sake of this discussion

oops.
Key word - pretend
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2011, 10:36:44 AM
Never ceases to amaze me how much people still talk while under indictment and before their trial.

Kind of terrible to admit, but the first thing I thought when I saw the interview was how his lawyer must be hitting his head against a wall.

What is the point of winning a case at trial if you lose public opinion? If the world thinks you are a child rapist then prison might be the safest and best place to live.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 10:58:18 AM
What is the point of winning a case at trial if you lose public opinion? If the world thinks you are a child rapist then prison might be the safest and best place to live.

I think the premise of statement 2 is flawed and public opinion, which was a lost cause before the interview, is more likely to be further swayed against as a result of it, if such a thing is possible.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2011, 11:07:45 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2011, 10:58:18 AM

I think the premise of statement 2 is flawed and public opinion, which was a lost cause before the interview, is more likely to be further swayed against as a result of it, if such a thing is possible.

This guy is screwed, I'll grant you that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

stjaba

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2011, 10:36:44 AM

I didn't watch the interview, but apparently his lawyer subsequently appeared on the show as well. So, this was done with his lawyer's knowledge.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: stjaba on November 15, 2011, 11:15:13 AM
I didn't watch the interview, but apparently his lawyer subsequently appeared on the show as well. So, this was done with his lawyer's knowledge.

I saw a post earlier today over on SA noting that in an interview with Dan Patrick (today, I guess), Costas said he was expecting to talk to the lawyer only, and it was the lawyer who suggested getting Mr. Pedo on the phone.

Now....I'm no lawyer, but....that doesn't seem like the best idea.  Especially when your client is too fucking dumb or so hooked on the little kids that he can't outright say "NO" when asked if he is sexually attracted to young boys.

The Brain

It was all that Dan Marino's fault, everyone knows that. Dan Marino should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Rasputin

the problem is some lawyers can't resist the allure of their own fifteen minutes of fame even at the expense of their client
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2011, 11:25:57 AM
It was all that Dan Marino's fault, everyone knows that. Dan Marino should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

marino played for pittsburgh ...a pretty good alibi inmho (even if the timelines dont quite match) :contract:
Who is John Galt?

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 15, 2011, 11:17:26 AM
Especially when your client is too fucking dumb or so hooked on the little kids that he can't outright say "NO" when asked if he is sexually attracted to young boys.

Yeah that was uncomfortable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Rasputin on November 15, 2011, 11:26:09 AM
the problem is some lawyers can't resist the allure of their own fifteen minutes of fame even at the expense of their client

It doesn't really bother me if pedophiles hire lawyers who don't do a good job representing them.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment
Quote from: alfred russelWhat is the point of winning a case at trial if you lose public opinion? If the world thinks you are a child rapist then prison might be the safest and best place to live.

I think the premise of statement 2 is flawed

Unless you want to spend the rest of your life in solitary.

Barrister

I think there is a time and place for an accused person to take to the media.  If you know what your defence is going to be, if your client is prepped and ready to go, then trying to get your own message out into the court of public opinion may be perfectly valid.

However... that sure doesn't sound like what happened here.  As mentioned it was the lawyer who was scheduled to talk to Costas, and 15 minutes before the interview, the lawyer suggested maybe Sandusky himself could do the interview.

Sandusky obviously wasn't ready or prepared.  Also, they certainly could have pre-arranged an interview with a media outlet willing to set some 'ground rules' for how it would be conducted (though obviously they would insist on some hard questions being asked).

That whole incident leaves me baffled.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

WTF...The bit I bolded is pure insanity! :wacko:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/jerry-sandusky-i-seeking-young-person-sexual-helped-article-1.977730

QuoteJerry Sandusky: 'I didn't go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I've helped'
More from Ex-Penn State coach interview revealed on 'Today'

BY Teri Thompson
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Originally Published: Tuesday, November 15 2011, 10:06 AM
Updated: Tuesday, November 15 2011, 10:06 AM

Legal experts were shocked Jerry Sandusky's lawyer allowed him to be interviewed by Bob Costas on NBC's "Rock Center" Monday night, pointing out that his words are sure to be used against him in court.

But while Costas's interview was forceful and compelling, the full transcript of what Sandusky said wasn't aired until it appeared Tuesday morning on "Today."

At one point, about seven minutes into the interview and after Costas asked Sandusky about the 40-count indictment he faces for sexually abusing boys over a 15-year period, and Sandusky replies that he is innocent of those charges, Costas asks Sandusky if he fits the classic MO of a pedophile.

Sandusky's reply at the 19:01:01:00 mark of the interview is perhaps the most damning of the entire session:

"Well -- you might think that," Sandusky said. "I don't know. (LAUGHS) In terms of -- my relationship with so many, many young people. I would -- I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward. Many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and -- and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life. And I didn't go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I've helped. There are many that I didn't have -- I hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways."

Here is the full exchange:

BOB COSTAS:

18:58:59:00: "But you're a man who by his own admission has showered with young boys, highly inappropriate. Who has continually put himself in the presence of young boys, volunteer high school coach, volunteer at a small local college, even after -- you were largely disassociated from Penn State. Multiple reports of you getting into bed with young boys who stayed at your house in a room in the basement. How do you account for these things? And if you're not a pedophile, then what are you?"

JERRY SANDUSKY:

18:59:30:00: "Well I'm a person that has taken a strong interest. I'm a very passionate person in terms of trying to make a difference in the lives of some young people. I worked very hard to try to connect with them. To make them feel good about themselves. To -- be something significant in their lives. Maybe this gets misinterpreted, has gotten depending on -- I know a lot of young people where it hasn't. I have worked with many, many young people where there has been no misinterpretation of my actions and I have made a very significant difference in their lives."

BOB COSTAS:

19:00:28:00: "But isn't what you're just describing the classic MO of many pedophiles? And that is that they gain the trust of young people, they don't necessarily abuse every young person. There were hundreds, if not thousands of young boys you came into contact with, but there are allegations that at least eight of them were victimized. Many people believe there are more to come. So it's entirely possible that you could've helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D, and E. Isn't that possible?"

JERRY SANDUSKY:

19:01:01:00: "Well -- you might think that. I don't know. (LAUGHS) In terms of -- my relationship with so many, many young people. I would-- I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward. Many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and-- and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life. And I didn't go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I've helped. There are many that I didn't have-- I hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways."

Costas then asks Sandusky if he is sexually attracted to young boys, the portion of the interview that was shown on "Rock Center."

BOB COSTAS:

19:01:47:00: "Are you sexually attracted to young boys, to underage boys?"

"Am I sexually attracted to underage boys?" Sandusky repeats.

"Yes," Costas answers.

"Sexually attracted, you know, I -- I enjoy young people," Sandusky says. "I -- I love to be around them. I -- I -- but no I'm not sexually attracted to young boys."

According to New York defense attorney Tom Harvey, who joined a chorus of criminal defense lawyers who found it hard to understand why Sandusky's lawyer, Joseph Amendola, allowed his client to appear on national television, Sandusky's admissions will be costly.

"He admitted he showered with little boys, he admitted he touched little boys' legs, he hugged little boys, he's saying people just made all this other stuff up," said Harvey. "He's just given up his Fifth Amendment rights not to incriminate himself. All of that can and will be used against him.

"Why would you put your client on national TV?" Harvey asked. "You'd have to say it certainly deviates from the norm that you would let a criminal defendant talk about his alleged acts on national television. It's hard to believe."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point