News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

America has failed me. Make fire, cleanse, repeat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I enjoyed the mini-riot. Needed more burning however.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I hope they didn't burn The Creamery.  Place has good ice cream. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Tear gas and rubber bullets. Go West Bank on their useless asses.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2011, 10:39:23 PM
That press conference was ridiculous. Half of those journalists should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Details?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 10, 2011, 07:57:41 AM
That press conference was ridiculous. Half of those journalists should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Details?

Let me just say it was weird to see a press conference where the firing of a University President and a football coach was announced...and there was not one question about the University President....or the incident that led to their firing.

Just: OMG how could you fire the football coach!?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2011, 08:57:27 AM

Details?

Let me just say it was weird to see a press conference where the firing of a University President and a football coach was announced...and there was not one question about the University President....or the incident that led to their firing.

Just: OMG how could you fire the football coach!?

Actually, if there were real journalists there, it could have gotten ugly for the Board I think. I watched, and it sounded like they were saying they had no information that wasn't in the public domain, all the facts aren't in on what happened, and they are firing these people because they need new direction. Which really begged the question, if the facts aren't in, and you can't definitively say what they did wrong, are you firing these people who did and gave so much to the university for so long just for PR reasons?

I think the spokesman was the chairman and CEO of US Steel--I would have expected him to be a bit more polished.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2011, 09:04:54 AM
Actually, if there were real journalists there, it could have gotten ugly for the Board I think.

Well it should have been ugly for the board.  But not for the reason it was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2011, 09:06:33 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2011, 09:04:54 AM
Actually, if there were real journalists there, it could have gotten ugly for the Board I think.

Well it should have been ugly for the board.  But not for the reason it was.

Why should it have been ugly?

It seems to me they are just freaked out about the bad publicity and firing anything that moves to cover their asses. They fired the president because he was briefed on the situation in 2002? I would bet he did not get the graphic story that is in the grand jury testimony, and it was probably presented to him in a way that would never give anyone pause.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Details?
There were a bunch of local hacks and student journalists who ripped into the Board for firing him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2011, 09:11:20 AM
It seems to me they are just freaked out about the bad publicity and firing anything that moves to cover their asses.

These people should have been held accountable for this stuff years ago, they waited until the fucking District Attorney did something before they held the people in charge accountable for what damn sure appears to be a cover up.  The DA were the ones who broke this story, not Penn State or the School President, not Joe Paterno, nope this story was not important enough to ever mention to anybody off campus.  It was always kept in house.  Now the Governor had to step  in to get the BoT to do the very belated right thing.

Caliga

The school probably needs a total do-over, including a new board.  Last night's riots make it clear that nobody gives a shit about anything but the football program, which IMO is not acceptable.  The mission of a university, ESPECIALLY a public university, is to educate people,  not win football games.  We have professional sports teams for that, for crying out loud!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2011, 09:29:45 AM
The school probably needs a total do-over, including a new board.  Last night's riots make it clear that nobody gives a shit about anything but the football program, which IMO is not acceptable.  The mission of a university, ESPECIALLY a public university, is to educate people,  not win football games.  We have professional sports teams for that, for crying out loud!

Yep.  The Governor needs to replace the entire board who then need to clean out the entire upper administration, the University Police, and the athletic department.

Neil

If they had done something back then, people would have wondered why, and then heads would have rolled the same.  The coverup really was the best option.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.