There’s Absolutely No Reason To Spend More Than $3 on a Bottle of Wine

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2011, 05:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I made the mistake, one Christmas, of buying wine a category or two more expensive than my usual tipple............some were fine others rather poor, but on average they were no better than if I'd stuck with the wines I knew at a much lower price. At the £8-£12 level I know what I like, move into the £15-£25 area and I have no idea.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2011, 06:32:42 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2011, 11:52:09 PM
I am pretty sure everyone can taste the difference between a good bottle of wine and a bad bottle.  Its just that not everyone thinks the bad bottle is bad enough not to drink.  The article says that not everyone can identify the expensive bottle and this is probably true given that the cost of the bottle is not always a good indicator of its quality.
Yes, I agree with this.  Trader Joe's sells a bottle of wine they call "Two Buck Chuck" (except I think it costs $2.50 now) and it's very drinkable.  But certainly I can tell it's not as good as say a $20 bottle.  That said, I had an $800 bottle of wine once and it didn't taste any better than say a $30-40 bottle to me.  I don't drink wine all that often, though, so to someone like say JR I bet there'd be a difference.

I bet "Two Buck Chuck" goes a treat with gas station food.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

I'm no wine snob by any stretch, but even I can tell there is a difference between qualities of wines. I once for Christmas got a nice reserve Chianti, $200-ish, and it was marvellous.
That said, I don't know about $3 wine, but you could do well with a nice $15-$25 wine. Anything else is excessive.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 08:22:58 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2011, 11:52:09 PM
I am pretty sure everyone can taste the difference between a good bottle of wine and a bad bottle.  Its just that not everyone thinks the bad bottle is bad enough not to drink.  The article says that not everyone can identify the expensive bottle and this is probably true given that the cost of the bottle is not always a good indicator of its quality.
Yes, I agree with this.  Trader Joe's sells a bottle of wine they call "Two Buck Chuck" (except I think it costs $2.50 now) and it's very drinkable.  But certainly I can tell it's not as good as say a $20 bottle.  That said, I had an $800 bottle of wine once and it didn't taste any better than say a $30-40 bottle to me.  I don't drink wine all that often, though, so to someone like say JR I bet there'd be a difference.

I bet "Two Buck Chuck" goes a treat with gas station food.  ;)
That's also the nick name of the tranny hooker behind the gas station :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

I don't think I've ever had really expensive wine so I've no idea.  My wine buying's basically the same as Brazen.  I don't think you can get £3 bottles or boxes of wine in the UK.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2011, 04:33:50 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 04, 2011, 04:25:06 AM
The average American family spends less than $4,000 pa on groceries?

You can't buy wine that cheap in teh UK. You can just about get a £3 bottle of wine. Generally I agree though. There are plenty of £5 bottles of wine which are as good as £10 bottles, particularly if you like big bold flavours rather than complexity.

That is true. However, the thread title by Timmy just shows that he is a retard.
I didn't come up with that title, that's what the Link was titled on the Slate homepage.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Gups on November 04, 2011, 04:25:06 AM
The average American family spends less than $4,000 pa on groceries?
Possibly.  One of the real differences I can remember facing when I moved to, and then from, England was the vastly more expensive groceries there.  Not even the decline in quality could match the sticker shock.

QuoteYou can't buy wine that cheap in teh UK. You can just about get a £3 bottle of wine. Generally I agree though. There are plenty of £5 bottles of wine which are as good as £10 bottles, particularly if you like big bold flavours rather than complexity.
You probably can't get any wine that cheap in the US unless it is crap, or you buy it in case lots from a discounter.  There used to be a chain in Virginia called Total Beverage (not related to the existing "Total Wine" chain) that sold cases of decent wine for around $40... not much more than $3 a bottle.  This was the same wine you paid $10 a bottle for in the grocery store, or $15 for in the state-run ABC store.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on November 03, 2011, 10:20:13 PM
I predict that JR will ragequit when he sees this thread.

Not really.   :)
There are a couple of stupid things in the article but that is to be expected in a piece of this sort where part of the aim is try to be provocative.

To the extent the main point is that average Joes who just want to have a bottle every now and then don't need to spend $15 or more, I totally agree.  There are plenty of sub $10 that are quite good and while 2 buck chuck would not be a personal recommendation, it is a correct wine suitable for swilling.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Gups

I know the US is cheaper than the UK - a good rule of thumb is just to assume parity between sterling and the dollar, but I can't imagine the average weekly supermarket shop is $77 for a family (assuming that means a couple and at lease one kid).

The Minsky Moment

The last time this issue came up, I agreed that price is not a particularly good indicator of wine quality.  Price reflects supply and demand, not intrinsic quality.  Quality has very little connection to supply, other than through the fact that gunning for very high yields tends to harm quality.  Quality has some effect on demand, but there are other big contributors such as the cachet of the name or provenance, advertising/maketing, etc.  For example, if Lafite has an off year, it will still sell for hundreds of dollars if for no other reason so that Chinese businessman can give each other gifts of an authentic Lafite.  Certain names in Burgundy will command attention (e.g. from the restaurant trade) even if the individual producer is second rate.

Also - a major flaw in these studies make claims about wine preferences in relation to price is that they ignore the time element.  Many expensive wines are designed to be cellared for years or even decades.  If you drink them on or shortly after release, they may taste bitter, harsh or unpleasant to a normal person.  A professional critic or taster who tastes barrel samples on a regular basis may be able to discern the underlying potential of the wine - this (in theory) is an acquired skill akin to that of a whiskey blender.  But a normal person, even one with experience in wine drinking, is likely to just experience it as unpleasant.  That may explain at least part of the divergence in "expert" and "layman" perception of certain expensive wines.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

3$ might buy you a beer, but no way I can find a wine bottle for such a price.
Cheapest I saw was 7-8$, and that isn't for drinking, only for cooking, and barely.

Yes, wine price is subjective.  Especially in a state controlled monopoly on wine sales, you never get the real price and they use scams to pick more money out of our pocket witht their kickback system.

But anyway, I find, that generally speaking, wines seeling between 16$-35$ are great.  Divide by 2 for US prices.  South American wines are good and cheap.  Australian wines are fucking pricey here, Californians in the middle of the pack.  I avoid most european wines, unless I eat fish.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: Gups on November 04, 2011, 09:46:58 AM
I know the US is cheaper than the UK - a good rule of thumb is just to assume parity between sterling and the dollar, but I can't imagine the average weekly supermarket shop is $77 for a family (assuming that means a couple and at lease one kid).

It is true. The average American family eats most meals at McDonalds, which keeps down the grocery bill.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Gups on November 04, 2011, 09:46:58 AM

I think that is really low too. I would think $10k would be more reasonable.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

Three dollar wine does not exist in metro Boston.  Maybe the few Trader Joe's with special authority to sell beer and wine carry that corny two buck Chuck shit, but I've never seen it.  $4.95 for a 750ml bottle of Crane Lake is the default bottom in my local liquor stores.  Or some "buy 3 Yellowtail 1.5l bottles for 20 bucks" offer.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)