There’s Absolutely No Reason To Spend More Than $3 on a Bottle of Wine

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2011, 05:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

3$ (or €) at the supermarket is pretty doable for a drinkable local Austrian wine, though I'd go with 6-10 € for a good (rather than decent) product.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on November 04, 2011, 08:36:22 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 08:22:58 AM
I bet "Two Buck Chuck" goes a treat with gas station food.  ;)
That's also the nick name of the tranny hooker behind the gas station :D

I'm not going to ask how you know that ...  :P

Anyway, I'd avoid on principle any alcoholic beverage whose marketing name is a euphemism for "vomit".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 10:11:11 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 04, 2011, 08:36:22 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 08:22:58 AM
I bet "Two Buck Chuck" goes a treat with gas station food.  ;)
That's also the nick name of the tranny hooker behind the gas station :D

I'm not going to ask how you know that ...  :P
all i'm gonna say is that these are tough times :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2011, 08:56:47 AM
I don't think I've ever had really expensive wine so I've no idea.  My wine buying's basically the same as Brazen.  I don't think you can get £3 bottles or boxes of wine in the UK.

Sure you can. All the supermarkets sell at least a few £3 bottles of wine. Once a flat tax of £1 something, the price of the bottle, distribution and the retail cut have been added in, the producer is probably getting about 5p for the wine, so expectations should be lowered accordingly.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on November 04, 2011, 10:18:03 AMSure you can. All the supermarkets sell at least a few £3 bottles of wine. Once a flat tax of £1 something, the price of the bottle, distribution and the retail cut have been added in, the producer is probably getting about 5p for the wine, so expectations should be lowered accordingly.
I've never noticed it then.  I always think those prices are the sort you get for plastic cartons of wine in France or Spain.  The lowest price I thought you'd get in the UK would be around £5.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 10:12:10 AM
Around here, $12 will get you a very decent bottle of wine.

Yeah, the local production in Ontario is very inexpensive compared to BC.

Brazen

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2011, 11:00:11 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 04, 2011, 10:18:03 AMSure you can. All the supermarkets sell at least a few £3 bottles of wine. Once a flat tax of £1 something, the price of the bottle, distribution and the retail cut have been added in, the producer is probably getting about 5p for the wine, so expectations should be lowered accordingly.
I've never noticed it then.  I always think those prices are the sort you get for plastic cartons of wine in France or Spain.  The lowest price I thought you'd get in the UK would be around £5.
Well I stand corrected. I went onto Tesco's online shop to prove Gups wrong and there's a Bulgarian Merlot for £2.99, an Aussie red at £3.15 and a Montepulciano for £3.19. There's even a quaffable looking Cotes du Rhone at £3.56.

Perhaps Asda, Morrisons or (shudder) LIDL could beat even these.

Gups

fhdz

There are some completely serviceable table wines in the $10-20 range. Additionally, with reds, decanting the wine through an aerator can turn a $10 bottle of wine into a $20-30 bottle. I'm not sure I've ever had a sub-$5 bottle of wine that I liked. I agree with others in the thread that the issue of assessing value is more problematic at the higher end of the range, not the lower.
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Quote from: fahdiz on November 04, 2011, 12:30:36 PM
There are some completely serviceable table wines in the $10-20 range. Additionally, with reds, decanting the wine through an aerator can turn a $10 bottle of wine into a $20-30 bottle. I'm not sure I've ever had a sub-$5 bottle of wine that I liked. I agree with others in the thread that the issue of assessing value is more problematic at the higher end of the range, not the lower.

Way I'd put it is that below a certain price theshold, chances are the wine will be inferior or very rough tasting ... but that threshold is not very high. A $12 bottle can easily be as good to the average idiot like myself as a $40 bottle or an $80 bottle, but chances are good on average I can tell the difference between a $12 bottle and a $6 one.

fhdz

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 12:36:03 PM
Way I'd put it is that below a certain price theshold, chances are the wine will be inferior or very rough tasting ... but that threshold is not very high. A $12 bottle can easily be as good to the average idiot like myself as a $40 bottle or an $80 bottle, but chances are good on average I can tell the difference between a $12 bottle and a $6 one.

It's not even an indicator of "average idiotness". ( :D ) Some $40 wines are quite simply overpriced.
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on November 04, 2011, 12:40:55 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 12:36:03 PM

It's not even an indicator of "average idiotness". ( :D ) Some $40 wines are quite simply overpriced.

Too true.

The Minsky Moment

At $40 and up you are usually either dealing with a wines from a delimited geographical area where there is therefore restricted supply; or with a wine where the producer is using very costly techniques like "tri" of the grapes by hand on a sorting table; and/or where the price is being driven by particularly effective marketing.

Whether what you get is fair value is a subjective judgment of the beholder.  If you want a wine that is like Chablis for example, there aren't very many choices outside of Chablis, and despite recent expansion, there is only so much land under vine in Chablis.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Not so much here JR.  It is not uncommon for local producers to price their wine in the 30-40 dollar range.  Way overpriced.