There’s Absolutely No Reason To Spend More Than $3 on a Bottle of Wine

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2011, 05:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Here in NC, I don't think that I've ever seen a bottle of wine for as little as $3--heck, I think the sin tax on it here is almost that much by itself.

Back when I was in WV, there were some wines you could get for $3, but they were just rotgut, crap you wouldn't want to drink unless you just wanted to get drunk.  There were some decent wines available in the $6-$10 range, though.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on November 03, 2011, 10:30:41 PM
I bet JR can actually taste the difference.

I am pretty sure everyone can taste the difference between a good bottle of wine and a bad bottle.  Its just that not everyone thinks the bad bottle is bad enough not to drink.  The article says that not everyone can identify the expensive bottle and this is probably true given that the cost of the bottle is not always a good indicator of its quality.

Gups

The average American family spends less than $4,000 pa on groceries?

You can't buy wine that cheap in teh UK. You can just about get a £3 bottle of wine. Generally I agree though. There are plenty of £5 bottles of wine which are as good as £10 bottles, particularly if you like big bold flavours rather than complexity.

Martinus

Quote from: Gups on November 04, 2011, 04:25:06 AM
The average American family spends less than $4,000 pa on groceries?

You can't buy wine that cheap in teh UK. You can just about get a £3 bottle of wine. Generally I agree though. There are plenty of £5 bottles of wine which are as good as £10 bottles, particularly if you like big bold flavours rather than complexity.

That is true. However, the thread title by Timmy just shows that he is a retard.

Brazen

Tax to curb drinking means the days of decent £3.99 wine are over for the UK :(

I tend to go to the supermarket French reds section and see what's got 50% off and is now £5 to £6. I seldom get a duff bottle. And the corner shop run by Pakistanis has decent plonk for £5.99, or six large cans of beer for £5, the value of which is difficult to communicate to countries blessed wit cheap booze. Suffice to say, a round of two pints of average lager will cost you £7 in a suburban pub these days  :o

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on November 04, 2011, 05:05:48 AM

I tend to go to the supermarket French reds section and see what's got 50% off and is now £5 to £6. I seldom get a duff bottle. And the corner shop run by Pakistanis has decent plonk for £5.99, or six large cans of beer for £5, the value of which is difficult to communicate to countries blessed wit cheap booze. Suffice to say, a round of two pints of average lager will cost you £7 in a suburban pub these days  :o

I may be wrong, but I'd assume wine is the relatively low risk when it comes to excessive drinking - beer and hard liquor should be the one targetted with such tax.

Monoriu

US$3 a bottle?  When we shop for wine for cooking, I notice that most bottles here cost in the region of US$20-30.  The cheapest ones are US$10 each. 

No, there is no tax on wine in HK.  I know because the government specifically abolished the wine tax a few years ago so that HK can become the wine hub of China. 

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2011, 06:02:34 AM
I may be wrong, but I'd assume wine is the relatively low risk when it comes to excessive drinking - beer and hard liquor should be the one targetted with such tax.
No, excess drinking is growing mostly in the middle classes who think nothing about downing a bottle with dinner most nights of the week.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2011, 11:52:09 PM
I am pretty sure everyone can taste the difference between a good bottle of wine and a bad bottle.  Its just that not everyone thinks the bad bottle is bad enough not to drink.  The article says that not everyone can identify the expensive bottle and this is probably true given that the cost of the bottle is not always a good indicator of its quality.
Yes, I agree with this.  Trader Joe's sells a bottle of wine they call "Two Buck Chuck" (except I think it costs $2.50 now) and it's very drinkable.  But certainly I can tell it's not as good as say a $20 bottle.  That said, I had an $800 bottle of wine once and it didn't taste any better than say a $30-40 bottle to me.  I don't drink wine all that often, though, so to someone like say JR I bet there'd be a difference.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2011, 06:32:42 AM
Yes, I agree with this.  Trader Joe's sells a bottle of wine they call "Two Buck Chuck" (except I think it costs $2.50 now) and it's very drinkable.  But certainly I can tell it's not as good as say a $20 bottle.  That said, I had an $800 bottle of wine once and it didn't taste any better than say a $30-40 bottle to me.  I don't drink wine all that often, though, so to someone like say JR I bet there'd be a difference.
Placebo is a powerful effect.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2011, 06:02:34 AM
Quote from: Brazen on November 04, 2011, 05:05:48 AM

In the US we refer to our homeless/very marginal drunks as "winos." I don't know if you are right on that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2011, 06:32:42 AM

I think the 2 buck chuck is dreadful. I'm with CC that the cheap stuff is bad, and problems in identifying price points are more about uneven quality with more expensive wines.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014