Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on November 02, 2011, 04:04:32 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 02, 2011, 09:45:53 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 09:57:01 PM
Quote from: Rabbi Shemp

Who is Rabbi Shemp?  :)
I was going to say-no idea who this is, as Rabbis don't date to this period, and the name "Shemp" sounds Ashkenazim.

He worked with Rabbis Moe and Rabbis Curley.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 05:03:42 PM
If you don't know for sure, how can you be sure that we are misinterpreting them?

Because you're lumping all of them into one with no real understanding of any of them.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

I understand all of them.  They're disenchanted with conventional religion and want to make sure that everybody knows it, which means that they're also somewhat antisocial.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: Neil on November 02, 2011, 10:10:55 PM
They're disenchanted with conventional religion

I can't imagine why.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 04:01:19 PM
Well, do they have any common threads then?  If someone asked "what do Christians believe", I could equally say "they are diverse".  But there are some common things.

You could argue that most major religions contain some form of the Golden Rule.

Neil

Quote from: fahdiz on November 02, 2011, 10:25:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 02, 2011, 10:10:55 PM
They're disenchanted with conventional religion
I can't imagine why.
Oh, there's plenty to be disenchanted about.  Nevertheless, if you don't feel like adhering to one of the real religions, there are only two choices available to you.  You can either keep quiet in public or you can be an antisocial twat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: Neil on November 02, 2011, 10:56:30 PM
Oh, there's plenty to be disenchanted about.  Nevertheless, if you don't feel like adhering to one of the real religions, there are only two choices available to you.  You can either keep quiet in public or you can be an antisocial twat.

I am not sure that neopagan equates to antisocial twat. In other respects I am in agreement.

Neil

Quote from: fahdiz on November 02, 2011, 11:04:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 02, 2011, 10:56:30 PM
I am not sure that neopagan equates to antisocial twat. In other respects I am in agreement.
Anyone who would admit to being one is an antisocial twat.  They're saying 'I'm not part of your society, and I don't share any of your values.'

Ideologue

What about atheism?  Antisocial twattishness?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Gups

Quote from: fahdiz on November 02, 2011, 10:49:12 PM
[You could argue that most major religions contain some form of the Golden Rule.

An eye for an eye?

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on November 02, 2011, 09:31:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 05:03:42 PM
If you don't know for sure, how can you be sure that we are misinterpreting them?

Because you're lumping all of them into one with no real understanding of any of them.

How do you know? You weren't even sure what common threads were between them.  It sounds like the one with out any real understanding is you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on November 03, 2011, 12:20:25 AM
Depends on how public you are about it.  Atheism has the virtue of being true, to be sure, but it's also very socially damaging.  It's not bad as a personal philosophy, but one should keep it to themselves.  Atheists who feel the need to preach, like Dawkins or Viking are just as bad as any mother-Earth wiccan weirdos.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on November 03, 2011, 07:24:16 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 03, 2011, 12:20:25 AM
...... but one should keep it to themselves.  Atheists who feel the need to preach, like Dawkins or Viking are just as bad as any mother-Earth wiccan weirdos.

:yes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

I still say we should persecute Anabaptists.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius