News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on March 31, 2014, 08:50:36 AM
i don't care about guns, and realize they're here to stay. but what i find odd is how creepy some people can be around guns. i mean, i've known people who refuse to admit anything negative about guns. like being unable to admit even basic facts, such as guns being inherently dangerous. or refusing to consider completely fictional scenarios where guns should be banned, no matter the hypothetical. it's just kind of weird

Sounds like you spend a lot of time egging on those creepy types :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2014, 08:59:42 AMSounds like you spend a lot of time egging on those creepy types :hmm:

nah. with most people, i don't see a point in arguing guns. some i've met seem to care more about guns than they do their own religion. the examples i provided were either from casual discussion or in-class discussion

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on March 31, 2014, 09:15:21 AM
nah. with most people, i don't see a point in arguing guns. some i've met seem to care more about guns than they do their own religion.

One might say that they bitterly cling to both though, right?  :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2014, 09:29:18 AMOne might say that they bitterly cling to both though, right?  :P

nope. i have a lot of respect for religion, and i can see why people make guns their hobby. when it goes far beyond a hobby, though, that's where i think it gets weird. like that article posted here a year or two ago where there were some gun-advocates who treated gun disposal as almost a sin

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on March 31, 2014, 09:49:16 AM
when it goes far beyond a hobby, though, that's where i think it gets weird. like that article posted here a year or two ago where there were some gun-advocates who treated gun disposal as almost a sin

IIRC that was over some rare, valuable items that ended up in the smelter.  Or at least that's usually the case.  I can't imagine anyone crying over a Hi-Point or a Cobra being disposed of.

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2014, 09:59:08 AMIIRC that was over some rare, valuable items that ended up in the smelter.  Or at least that's usually the case.  I can't imagine anyone crying over a Hi-Point or a Cobra being disposed of.

we're probably thinking of different articles. here's what i referred to:

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/09/168926749/nra-vows-to-stop-tuscon-from-destroying-guns

Quote"I've been getting threats," Kozachik says. "I've been getting emails. I've been getting phone calls in the office trying to shut this thing down or 'We're going to sue you' or 'Who do you think you are?' "
---
Rathner says the NRA will ask for an accounting of every weapon turned in and then go to court to stop the firearms from being destroyed. If that doesn't work, Rathner says they'll change the law.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2014, 03:56:20 PM
Sadly, America's youth only know "the Rough Riders" as a condom brand.   :(

Ruff Ryders. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on March 31, 2014, 10:06:09 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2014, 09:59:08 AMIIRC that was over some rare, valuable items that ended up in the smelter.  Or at least that's usually the case.  I can't imagine anyone crying over a Hi-Point or a Cobra being disposed of.

we're probably thinking of different articles. here's what i referred to:

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/09/168926749/nra-vows-to-stop-tuscon-from-destroying-guns

Quote"I've been getting threats," Kozachik says. "I've been getting emails. I've been getting phone calls in the office trying to shut this thing down or 'We're going to sue you' or 'Who do you think you are?' "
---
Rathner says the NRA will ask for an accounting of every weapon turned in and then go to court to stop the firearms from being destroyed. If that doesn't work, Rathner says they'll change the law.

Okay, but I don't see the "almost a sin" part.

derspiess

Capetan Mihali

With this, the singularity is truly upon us.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

I took my ASSAULT RIFLES to the range today. I jammed the magazines very hard into them and made them squirt out 120 rounds out of each. Afterwards, I had a smoke.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 01, 2014, 02:00:04 PM
I took my ASSAULT RIFLES to the range today. I jammed the magazines very hard into them and made them squirt out 120 rounds out of each. Afterwards, I had a smoke.
Did you: bump fire
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: 11B4V on March 30, 2014, 04:02:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2014, 03:56:20 PM
Sadly, America's youth only know "the Rough Riders" as a condom brand.   :(

:lol: :cry:

'Tis true - America's youth is sadly under-educated about the storied history of the Ottawa Rough Riders. :(

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.