American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2013, 12:20:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2013, 11:19:20 AM
Is there any firearms regulation that NRA-ILA supports?

Yeah.  Most of the existing regulations.

Is there any evidence of that?  Testimony, fact sheets, press releases?  Anything?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/23/nra-chief-enforce-the-existing-gun-laws/?page=all

QuoteThe National Rifle Association does not plan to support any new gun control measures in the wake of the shooting rampage in Newtown, Conn., the head of the organization said Sunday, arguing that the government should vigorously enforce laws already on the books and reiterating the group's push for more armed guards in schools as part of the solution.

If they're pushing for current laws to be vigorously enforced, I take that to mean they support them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2013, 12:42:55 PM
This was such a fun thread.  :(

I could post pics of the Russian .223 ammo I picked up at AIM yesterday.  Is good quality Russian commercial sporting cartridge.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 12:54:23 PM

I could post pics of the Russian .223 ammo I picked up at AIM yesterday.  Is good quality Russian commercial sporting cartridge.

Only if those are age appropriate.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 12:04:08 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 11:57:03 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 11:51:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2013, 11:41:48 AM
Yes, we had the same issue in Missouri.  States don't actually don't have rights as they aren't people.  They also can't nullify federal law.

It's just a figure of speech.  I know it's Languish, but you guys get too hung up on semantics sometimes.  States don't technically have "rights", but they have powers, per the 10th amendment.

Okay, setting aside semantics, how can you say that NRA members aren't trying to negate laws already in place while they are doing exactly that at the state level?

I'm not aware of any NRA efforts in those state-level nullification examples (which I believe are pretty much symbolic measures in any case), nor do I think a majority of NRA members are pushing for them.

If some people who happen to be NRA members sponsored the measures, that doesn't necessarily prove me wrong.

This strikes me as semantics. We're discussing gun-supporters, some in the guise of the NRA. You implied - if not said - that gun-supporters are okay with the laws on the books. There are now pushes in various states that say otherwise.

Do you honestly believe that most gun supporters are okay with the gun laws on the books? Because the impression given is that most gun supporters disagree rather vehemently with most, if not all, of the gun laws already in place.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2013, 12:56:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 12:54:23 PM

Only if those are age appropriate.

I guess that rules out his My Little Pony rounds.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 01:28:30 PM
This strikes me as semantics. We're discussing gun-supporters, some in the guise of the NRA. You implied - if not said - that gun-supporters are okay with the laws on the books. There are now pushes in various states that say otherwise.

Just sticking by what I said, dear.

QuoteDo you honestly believe that most gun supporters are okay with the gun laws on the books? Because the impression given is that most gun supporters disagree rather vehemently with most, if not all, of the gun laws already in place.

That's not my impression.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 01:32:31 PM
Just sticking by what I said, dear.

No prob, boy. I get what you're saying.

That's not my impression.

Gotcha', nancy.  Thanks. :)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 12:32:31 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/23/nra-chief-enforce-the-existing-gun-laws/?page=all

QuoteThe National Rifle Association does not plan to support any new gun control measures in the wake of the shooting rampage in Newtown, Conn., the head of the organization said Sunday, arguing that the government should vigorously enforce laws already on the books and reiterating the group's push for more armed guards in schools as part of the solution.

That's what the Washington Times said that LaPierre said.
Problem is -- it's not in the transcript.  LaPierre didn't say that. 

He said a lot about enforcing criminal laws generally, tracking "lunatics" and posting armed guards in schools.
The only gun-related rule he expressed support for was the National Instant Check System, although he confirmed the NRA's position that it need not be used for private sales.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2013, 01:38:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 12:32:31 PM

That's what the Washington Times said that LaPierre said.
Problem is -- it's not in the transcript.  LaPierre didn't say that. 

He said a lot about enforcing criminal laws generally, tracking "lunatics" and posting armed guards in schools.
The only gun-related rule he expressed support for was the National Instant Check System, although he confirmed the NRA's position that it need not be used for private sales.

So he has to enumerate every single gun law he wants to be enforced, in order to make you happy?

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 01:47:28 PM

So he has to enumerate every single gun law he wants to be enforced, in order to make you happy?

You were asked to show that the NRA supports the gun laws on the books. It seems fair that if what you site doesn't really do that, it should be called out, doesn't it?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 01:49:11 PM
You were asked to show that the NRA supports the gun laws on the books. It seems fair that if what you site doesn't really do that, it should be called out, doesn't it?

The NRA has been saying it for years-- anytime new gun control legislation has been brought up.  Even their opponents recognize that it's been their stated position.  Whether or not you choose to believe the NRA's sincerity is a different issue.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 01:52:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 01:49:11 PM

The NRA has been saying it for years-- anytime new gun control legislation has been brought up.  Even their opponents recognize that it's been their stated position.  Whether or not you choose to believe the NRA's sincerity is a different issue.

I think it's more that we're looking for proof of this support, dear.

Razgovory

I did do some research as Derspeiss requested.  Mr LaPierre goes on about a lot of things such as arresting all the gang members in Chicago (why this particular city is targeted is unclear to me), put police in schools, and enforce the laws that exist.  The last one is fair enough, the the second one is a bit overboard and the first one is unconstitutional.  Focusing on the second two, this would likely require a major increase in taxation.  Derspeiss, would you be willing to pay higher taxes see these laws enforced (and maybe hiring police for schools)?  Would the rest of the GOP be keen on this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2013, 02:21:02 PM
I did do some research as Derspeiss requested.  Mr LaPierre goes on about a lot of things such as arresting all the gang members in Chicago (why this particular city is targeted is unclear to me), put police in schools, and enforce the laws that exist. 

Asking that laws on the books be enforced doesn't necessarily mean that those laws are supported. It simply means that they have accepted that they are fact.