American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

At a fundamental level, I don't "get" the fascination with guns, but really, I don't have to.  I choose to live in a society which emphasizes personal autonomy and the right of individuals to determine what ideas and the things that they value.  And since I expect that others will respect (if not agree with) my exercise of personal autonomy, it is only correct and just that I accord similar respect to that exercise by others, even if it manifests in a way that seems peculiar to me.  That is in a nutshell the basic social compact that defines America and that is why I ultimately support gun rights, regardless of whatever the Second Amendment actually means.

But there are limits of course - especially where one person's exercise of personal autonomy may harm another.  So included in the social compact is the idea that individuals must be prepared to accept reasonable limits on their exercise of personal automony in the interests of all, even if they would rather not.  So things like the sale operation of motor vehicles are subject to significant regulation.  Or the production and consumption of alchohol.  Or the sale and distribution of food.  Or the conduct of manufacturing.  Or the practice of medicine. Or dozens of other activities or products that have he potential to pose dangers or risks to others.

To what extent any of these activities should be regulated is a question for debate, because it involves the difficult task of balancing competing interests.  So there are a variety of legitimate positions that one can take along that continuum.

What is not acceptable is for one group of people to say - my particular manifestiation or exercise of personal autonomy is absolute and inviolable, and any limitation is beyond the pale.  Because that is basically another way of saying that the interests of everyone else are not worthy of any respect or consideration at all.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2013, 10:54:39 AM
What is not acceptable is for one group of people to say - my particular manifestiation or exercise of personal autonomy is absolute and inviolable, and any limitation is beyond the pale.  Because that is basically another way of saying that the interests of everyone else are not worthy of any respect or consideration at all.

Is anyone saying that?  It's not like the NRA nor a majority of gun owners are calling for a repeal of all existing gun laws.

There are a lot of firearms restrictions on the books and I'm fine with nearly all of them.  The only ones I can think of that I'd like to change are the federal restriction on short-barrelled (<16") rifles and the weird Ohio limitation on magazine capacity.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 11:01:25 AM

Is anyone saying that?  It's not like the NRA nor a majority of gun owners are calling for a repeal of all existing gun laws.

There are a lot of firearms restrictions on the books and I'm fine with nearly all of them.  The only ones I can think of that I'd like to change are the federal restriction on short-barrelled (<16") rifles and the weird Ohio limitation on magazine capacity.

Incorrect.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/01/alabama-lawmakers-vote-to-ignore-new-federal-gun-control-laws/

QuoteThe Senate passed legislation Tuesday declaring that "All federal acts, laws, orders, rules or regulations regarding firearms are a violation of the Second Amendment." It also says federal laws in violation of the Second Amendment shall be considered null and void in Alabama. The vote was 24-6.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Is there any firearms regulation that NRA-ILA supports?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2013, 11:14:14 AM

Incorrect.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/01/alabama-lawmakers-vote-to-ignore-new-federal-gun-control-laws/

QuoteThe Senate passed legislation Tuesday declaring that "All federal acts, laws, orders, rules or regulations regarding firearms are a violation of the Second Amendment." It also says federal laws in violation of the Second Amendment shall be considered null and void in Alabama. The vote was 24-6.

State's Rights

I believe I posted something similar awhile back about the Missouri legislature.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

sbr

I thought we sorted out that states rights nonsense 150 years ago.

merithyn

All of which makes this comment incorrect.

It's not like the NRA nor a majority of gun owners are calling for a repeal of all existing gun laws.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: sbr on May 02, 2013, 11:31:22 AM
I thought we sorted out that states rights nonsense 150 years ago.

Apparently not  :lmfao:

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2013, 11:19:20 AM
Is there any firearms regulation that NRA-ILA supports?

Yeah.  Most of the existing regulations. 

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 11:31:56 AM

It's not like the NRA nor a majority of gun owners are calling for a repeal of all existing gun laws.

:huh:

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 11:31:56 AM

Democratic process at work. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2013, 11:24:01 AM

State's Rights

I believe I posted something similar awhile back about the Missouri legislature.

Yes, we had the same issue in Missouri.  States don't actually don't have rights as they aren't people.  They also can't nullify federal law.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017