American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2013, 11:41:48 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2013, 11:24:01 AM

State's Rights

I believe I posted something similar awhile back about the Missouri legislature.

Yes, we had the same issue in Missouri.  States don't actually don't have rights as they aren't people.  They also can't nullify federal law.

Irregardless, I will watch the show to be sure.

The felony one is hilarious.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2013, 11:40:42 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 11:31:56 AM
All of which makes this comment incorrect.

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 11:01:25 AM
It's not like the NRA nor a majority of gun owners are calling for a repeal of all existing gun laws.

Democratic process at work. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

But that isn't the point - the point is that the actual position of the gun rights block in the US is pretty much that ANY control is akin to fascism, and pretty much any means necessary to stop it is warranted, even to the extent of trying to pass laws making it illegal to propose other laws!

That is NOT the democratic process at work. I find it amazing that people can actually look at a law that would make it a felony to propose a law in the interests of protecting their "raits" and not notice the rather glaring irony of it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

It's "rahts", not "raits".  Silly New Yorker :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

The 2nd Amendment trumps the 1st because it has a bigger number.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Yes, we had the same issue in Missouri.  States don't actually don't have rights as they aren't people.  They also can't nullify federal law.

It's just a figure of speech.  I know it's Languish, but you guys get too hung up on semantics sometimes.  States don't technically have "rights", but they have powers, per the 10th amendment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 11:51:33 AM

It's just a figure of speech.  I know it's Languish, but you guys get too hung up on semantics sometimes.  States don't technically have "rights", but they have powers, per the 10th amendment.

Okay, setting aside semantics, how can you say that NRA members aren't trying to negate laws already in place while they are doing exactly that at the state level?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

It's more then semantics.  "Rights" and "Powers" are very different things. "States Rights" advocates conflate the two to give themselves a legal and moral advantage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on May 02, 2013, 11:50:04 AM
The 2nd Amendment trumps the 1st because it has a bigger number.

Also it it's armed and terrorize the other amendments.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on May 02, 2013, 11:44:35 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2013, 11:40:42 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 11:31:56 AM
All of which makes this comment incorrect.

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 11:01:25 AM
It's not like the NRA nor a majority of gun owners are calling for a repeal of all existing gun laws.

Democratic process at work. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

But that isn't the point - the point is that the actual position of the gun rights block in the US is pretty much that ANY control is akin to fascism, and pretty much any means necessary to stop it is warranted, even to the extent of trying to pass laws making it illegal to propose other laws!

That is NOT the democratic process at work. I find it amazing that people can actually look at a law that would make it a felony to propose a law in the interests of protecting their "raits" and not notice the rather glaring irony of it.

No, but it makes for good entertainment. Could this be similar the the "Pot" issue passed by two states? Didnt that go in the face of Fed Law? I see no difference at the basic level.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2013, 11:57:03 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 11:51:33 AM

Okay, setting aside semantics, how can you say that NRA members aren't trying to negate laws already in place while they are doing exactly that at the state level?

I'm not aware of any NRA efforts in those state-level nullification examples (which I believe are pretty much symbolic measures in any case), nor do I think a majority of NRA members are pushing for them.

If some people who happen to be NRA members sponsored the measures, that doesn't necessarily prove me wrong.

Razgovory

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2013, 12:04:58 PM
What would prove you wrong?

I guess if you found evidence of NRA advocacy to remove all existing firearms regulations or a majority of their members or firearms owners who support that.

I'm sure you have the time to do the research ;)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2013, 11:24:01 AM
State's Rights

The implication is more sweeping than that.  The Second Amendment is incorporated against the states now.  If the Second Amendment prohibits all federal legislation, it prohibits all state legislation as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2013, 11:19:20 AM
Is there any firearms regulation that NRA-ILA supports?

Yeah.  Most of the existing regulations.

Is there any evidence of that?  Testimony, fact sheets, press releases?  Anything?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2013, 12:20:10 PM

Is there any evidence of that?  Testimony, fact sheets, press releases?  Anything?

I think we need to get more "existing legislation" in place so the nebulous NRA position can support that without saying it does.