American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 06:09:56 PM
I would feel better if companies didnt make guns for children.  That would probably reduce the chances that parents would purchase them for children.

No it wouldn't.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 01, 2013, 04:59:55 PM
It's the fact that many of them look less that 8 that concerns me. I assume the actual infants pictured aren't really shooting the things! :hmm: But that still leaves many obviously very young children pictured.

Fine, but they're not making guns specifically for 4-year olds like you guys were suggesting.

QuoteBut it is obvious that a large number of customers are buying these things for the under-8 crowd and the company is encouraging that. 

If I were them I wouldn't put up some of those pics.  And the baby ones look flat-out stupid.

There is no amount of supervision that makes a 5 year old with a firearm safe, other than not handing it to him or her in the first place.

I suppose you could supervise them really, really closely.  Like you're practically holding the rifle yourself.  But in my own case I agree-- I wouldn't feel safe enough with Tommy handling a loaded firearm.

Point is that kids in grade 2 ought not to be using guns at all. Wait until they are actually reliably capable of mature behaviour, why not?

Disagree.  I will have Tommy shooting a BB gun by that age, under my close supervision.

QuoteIt isn't like you have to indoctrinate kids from birth with gun safety, like some sort of religion.

That's what I'm doing.  It would be irresponsible not to.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 06:15:23 PM
I would feel better if companies didnt make guns for children.  That would probably reduce the chances that parents would purchase them for children.

No it wouldn't.

You might be right.  Gun nuts would probably find a way to modify full sized rifles for their children in order to fully exercise their flawed understanding of their rights.

11B4V

The extreme "Anti-gun Nutter" rhetoric is as entertaining as the "Nutter Extremes" rhetoric. They are just as unintelligible and inarticulate. They push the moderate and casual gun owners away. 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 06:22:42 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 06:15:23 PM

No it wouldn't.

You might be right.  Gun nuts would probably find a way to modify full sized rifles for their children in order to fully exercise their flawed understanding of their rights.

Way ahead of you. Behind the times as usual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber_conversion_sleeve
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

11B4V

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH My fucking eyes you asshole.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 06:30:16 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH My fucking eyes you asshole.

No kidding.  That Tec-9 is a piece of shit.

Ed Anger

11B4V

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 06:24:58 PM
The extreme "Anti-gun Nutter" rhetoric is as entertaining as the "Nutter Extremes" rhetoric. They are just as unintelligible and inarticulate. They push the moderate and casual gun owners away. 

The problem is that anyone who is in favor of any kind of gun control at all, even that which has been clearly defined by the SC as well within the bounds of the New And Improved Second Amendment, then you get the label of "Anti-gun nutter".

Like thinking we should control guns at all makes someone an anti-gun nutter. I guess we are all anti-car nutters as well, and anti-drug nutters, and anti-explosives nutters, and anti-airplane nutters...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall