American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

You going to use any kind of stock cover to protect the finish?   

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 06, 2016, 10:40:05 PM
You going to use any kind of stock cover to protect the finish?

This probably won't see the woods. Targets only.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 06, 2016, 11:06:26 PM
Get a 2nd one?  :unsure:

1500 bones.

The Traditions Ultralight is for hunting and weighs in at 5.5 pounds. The Parker Hale is near 10 pounds.

Night and day difference.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

On the perennial clip/magazine "concern", I came across some proof that US Marines did not care much about it in WW2.

Source: "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okanawa", an autobiography by E. B. Sledge. Page 57 of the Ballentine paperback edition.

"Attached to my web pistol belt, I carried a pouch containing a combat dressing, two canteens, a pouch with two fifteen-round carbine magazines--clips, we called them, and a fine brass compass in a waterproof case." [emphasis]

;)

Given that he also describes how Marines in training were humiliated for using the wrong weapons terminology ("gun" for "rifle"), the conclusion is that Marines did not care about the distinction between "magazines" and "clips" at this time ... or he never would have used both words to refer to the same thing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

He was a mortarmen.  Also, it's nice that 11B4 finally got a couch to set his musket on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on December 07, 2016, 11:47:40 AM
On the perennial clip/magazine "concern", I came across some proof that US Marines did not care much about it in WW2.

Source: "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okanawa", an autobiography by E. B. Sledge. Page 57 of the Ballentine paperback edition.

"Attached to my web pistol belt, I carried a pouch containing a combat dressing, two canteens, a pouch with two fifteen-round carbine magazines--clips, we called them, and a fine brass compass in a waterproof case." [emphasis]

;)

Given that he also describes how Marines in training were humiliated for using the wrong weapons terminology ("gun" for "rifle"), the conclusion is that Marines did not care about the distinction between "magazines" and "clips" at this time ... or he never would have used both words to refer to the same thing.

Maybe it's "clips, we (who were regularly taunted and reprimanded for our wrongful use of the word 'clip') called them."?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2016, 11:58:29 AM
He was a mortarmen. 

A marine would tell you that all marines are riflemen first.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwaqY2R4VwE

QuoteTotalBiscuit fires real WW1 weapons ft. Ian from ForgottenWeapons

TotalBiscuit and Ian from ForgottenWeapons bring you an extensive video on weapons used in World War 1, their characteristics and how they were implemented in Battlefield 1. The footage was shot on location in Las Vegas at http://battlefieldvegas.com

He even points out that clip and magazine are NOT the same.  :P Neat little historical backgrounds of the guns (like the C96 Mauser and Luger).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

I like the Forgotten Weapons guy's videos. Very cool and informative.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

I'm wanting a Krinkov. But it'll be like the Uzi I wanted, I'll never get around to it.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2016, 05:58:50 AM

He even points out that clip and magazine are NOT the same.  :P

They aren't - but the terms were, apparently, used interchangeably by actual professionals before today's gun nerds got all assburgery about them.  :P

The Minsky Moment

New York AG published a report finding that 87% of the guns used in crimes in NYC came from out of state.  Most common states of origin of the out-of-state guns  are: Virginia (19%), Georgia (13%), Pennsylvania (13%), South Carolina (13%), North Carolina (10%), and Florida (7%).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson