American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2016, 03:37:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2016, 02:14:51 PM
I'm all for precise nomenclature when it matters, but does this particular thing matter?  If you're in a firefight, you run out of ammo for your M-16, and ask your buddy for a clip, is he going to be all confused while digging through his backpack for an M1 Garand strip?

There are arguments both ways.  One in favor of calling magazines magazines is that I think people say clip because they think it sounds cool and gangsterish.

I suspect it originally derives from the opposite reason: not young wanna be gangstas, but old dudes used to using clips in past army days who continued to call what they put into guns "clips" even though they were in fact magazines.

The thing about people angrily using knowing the difference like a shibboleth for knowing shit about guns seems reasonably recent.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2016, 12:35:54 AM
Fuck even the hipsters are armed In the states

A lot of areas are closed to motorized traffic. A bike gets you where you need to go.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on September 19, 2016, 06:42:43 PM

A lot of areas are closed to motorized traffic. A bike gets you where you need to go.

As out of shape as I am, I'm not sure there's a force on Earth that could get my lardass anywhere that's more than a half mile from a motorable road.

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2016, 07:56:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2016, 03:37:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2016, 02:14:51 PM
I'm all for precise nomenclature when it matters, but does this particular thing matter?  If you're in a firefight, you run out of ammo for your M-16, and ask your buddy for a clip, is he going to be all confused while digging through his backpack for an M1 Garand strip?

There are arguments both ways.  One in favor of calling magazines magazines is that I think people say clip because they think it sounds cool and gangsterish.

I suspect it originally derives from the opposite reason: not young wanna be gangstas, but old dudes used to using clips in past army days who continued to call what they put into guns "clips" even though they were in fact magazines.

The thing about people angrily using knowing the difference like a shibboleth for knowing shit about guns seems reasonably recent.

Naw.  It comes from ignorant people watching too many movies.

The "old guys" had the M1911, BAR, M1 carbine, Thompson, etc. Look in the manuals  in WW2, they say magazine.

A clip of ammo charges a magazine. There are a few exceptions. Even a Garand has a magazine.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

It's just the politics of distraction.  If the NRA wingnuts scream "ZOMG ITS A MAGAZINE NOT A CLIP" and prattle on about the legal minutiae of upper receivers long enough and loud enough, they're hoping you'll forget about things like background checks, gun show loopholes, and a pile of ventilated six-year old bodies in an elementary school bathroom.

Razgovory

I bet 11B4V doesn't even know the difference between an oyster fork and a snail fork.  Disgraceful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 19, 2016, 07:01:49 PM
It's just the politics of distraction.  If the NRA wingnuts scream "ZOMG ITS A MAGAZINE NOT A CLIP" and prattle on about the legal minutiae of upper receivers long enough and loud enough, they're hoping you'll forget about things like background checks, gun show loopholes, and a pile of ventilated six-year old bodies in an elementary school bathroom.

You just work on reloading your revolver mister.

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 19, 2016, 07:06:56 PM
I bet 11B4V doesn't even know the difference between an oyster fork and a snail fork.  Disgraceful.

Easy way for you to remember 3 and 2.

We're not savages here you know.

derspiess

Quote from: dps on September 19, 2016, 06:45:21 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 19, 2016, 06:42:43 PM

As out of shape as I am, I'm not sure there's a force on Earth that could get my lardass anywhere that's more than a half mile from a motorable road.

I'm with you in most cases, but trout fishing and seclusion is enough to get me to bike several miles into the Cranberry Wilderness Area.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.