American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 18, 2016, 12:47:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2016, 12:20:41 PM
I remember reading something from a firearms expert, who mocked all those newly-baked experts drawing distinction between clips and magazines.  He said that for all his career, people called magazines clips and no one was either confused or bothered by it.

He's an idiot.

I have a novel and ground-breaking theory.  The only people who actually care about gun nomenclature are idiots.

Example:  11B4V
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2016, 12:58:38 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 18, 2016, 12:47:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2016, 12:20:41 PM
I remember reading something from a firearms expert, who mocked all those newly-baked experts drawing distinction between clips and magazines.  He said that for all his career, people called magazines clips and no one was either confused or bothered by it.

He's an idiot.

I have a novel and ground-breaking theory.  The only people who actually care about gun nomenclature are idiots.

Example:  11B4V

You should worry more about your idiotic state. You idiots allowed them to get in power. So learn your nomenclature and weapons handling dumbfuck. You're going to need it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

I'm all for precise nomenclature when it matters, but does this particular thing matter?  If you're in a firefight, you run out of ammo for your M-16, and ask your buddy for a clip, is he going to be all confused while digging through his backpack for an M1 Garand strip?

The Brain

I would never call a tracked and turreted AFV with thick armor and a big gun a tank, for that very reason.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2016, 02:14:51 PM
I'm all for precise nomenclature when it matters, but does this particular thing matter?  If you're in a firefight, you run out of ammo for your M-16, and ask your buddy for a clip, is he going to be all confused while digging through his backpack for an M1 Garand strip?

Why would he throw you an M1 clip. :huh: If you asked for an M16 clip he would throw you
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Hell Raz probably calls the AIM-9 Sidewinder, AIM-7 Sparrow, and AGM-65's rockets. What does it matter.

Tonitrus

Quote from: 11B4V on September 18, 2016, 03:15:23 PM
Hell Raz probably calls the AIM-9 Sidewinder, AIM-7 Sparrow, and AGM-65's rockets. What does it matter.

Why not?  The Russians would.  :P

Admiral Yi

There are arguments both ways.  One in favor of calling magazines magazines is that I think people say clip because they think it sounds cool and gangsterish.

LaCroix

:huh: it matters when your buddy leaves you to die because you called it a clip

11B4V

Mocking up some goodies for the mountain bike this hunting season.

11B4V

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

I actually do know the difference, it's just that I don't care.  It's like the difference between a cobbler and a cordwainer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on September 18, 2016, 05:52:44 PM
Mocking up some goodies for the mountain bike this hunting season.

What's the third leg of the Idaho triathalon?

HVC

Fuck even the hipsters are armed In the states
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.