American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2016, 06:45:59 PM
MAYBE THE CLIP WASNT CURVED I DONT KNOW

THATS IT. WARNING LEVEL INCREASE BUDDY.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 31, 2016, 06:56:01 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 29, 2016, 10:22:50 PM
Bought a gun the other day.

It's cute, small, fits right in your pocket? Right in your pocket?

It's long and beautiful.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

One more time for the firearms retarded challenged folks

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 26, 2016, 09:29:49 PM
Not enough pew pew and scary black parts.

It's Scandinavian. We're not savages here you know.

Ed Anger

I am. I want scary black weapons.

Or a My little pony AR-15. For the kids.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 04:04:25 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 31, 2016, 07:21:29 PM

Who cares?

We have already established in the Valmy-is-not-a-Christian thread that you do not care about meaning of words, only that people speak nicely and softly to each other.

But for those of us who do not live in the lalaland, words still matter.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2016, 04:11:37 AM

Who cares?

We have already established in the Valmy-is-not-a-Christian thread that you do not care about meaning of words, only that people speak nicely and softly to each other.

Oh you care about the parts of the gun?

Also, I think you took the wrong lesson given that I said I wouldn't consider V to be Christian.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2016, 04:11:37 AM

Ah man. I felt like we had connected on the religion thing. And hey can we keep my religion in the appropriate thread? That would be great.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe Opinion Pages | Editorial

Missouri: The Shoot-Me State

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
SEPT. 16, 2016

In an alarming victory for the gun lobby, Missouri's Republican-controlled Legislature voted Wednesday to override Gov. Jay Nixon's veto and enact a wholesale retreat from gun safety in the state.

The law will let citizens carry concealed weapons in public without a state gun permit, criminal background check or firearms training. It strips local law enforcement of its current authority to deny firearms to those guilty of domestic violence and to other high-risk individuals. And it establishes a dangerous "stand your ground" standard that will allow gun owners to shoot and claim self-defense based on their own sense of feeling threatened.

The measure has drawn no great national attention, but it certainly provides further evidence that gun safety cannot be left to state lawmakers beholden to the gun lobby. Democrats opposed to the Missouri bill called it a "perfect storm" of lowered standards for the use of deadly force and an invitation for people to be armed without responsible controls. The measure was enacted by the Republicans, despite strong public opposition and warnings about the threat to public safety from the state Police Chiefs Association. Everytown for Gun Safety, one of the groups fighting the gun lobby, noted that stand your ground laws result in disproportionate harm to communities of color.

Mr. Nixon, a Democrat, vetoed the measure in June, saying it would allow individuals with a criminal record to legally carry a concealed firearm even though they had been, or would have been, denied a permit under the old law's background check. Mayors Sly James of Kansas City and Francis Slay of St. Louis warned against restricting the power of the local police to deny guns to those who commit domestic violence. They cited sharp spikes in domestic violence homicides in their cities, and they noted that the police would be left at greater risk by this bill.

Republican legislative leaders, who cut short debate on the override vote on the last day of the session, were ebullient in overriding a variety of the governor's vetoes beyond the gun measure, including one that will force voters to show a government photo ID.

Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal, a lawmaker from Ferguson, which erupted in protests after the 2014 fatal police shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed African-American teenager, warned that enacting the stand-your-ground standard would mean another "bad Samaritan like Zimmerman." She was referring to the shooting death in Florida four years ago of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teenager, by George Zimmerman; in that case the judge's instructions to the jury contained some of the language of the stand your ground law.

Missouri is joining 10 other states that loosened gun laws to allow concealed firearms in public without the need for a permit. Federal gun controls still require background checks on buyers, but only at federally licensed dealers. Unfortunately, there is a separate and busy uncontrolled market where buyers at gun shows and on the internet do not have to undergo background checks.

In the presidential campaign, Hillary Clinton has called for extensive gun safety measures, including a ban on the assault weapons favored by mass shooters, closing background-check loopholes, ending the gun industry's outrageous protection from civil damage suits and denying guns to risky suspects on the government's no-fly lists. Donald Trump, endorsed by the National Rifle Association, favors more armed civilians ready to engage in what he calls a defensive "shootout." This is one of the most pathetic measures yet of his pandering, when he should be leading, on an issue of vital importance to the public.

Best of luck out there in the Dumbfuckistan Tribal Areas, Raz.  Shoot straight.

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on September 01, 2016, 06:28:41 PM

Who cares?

I do.

"A clip by any other name would shoot as straight" - with apologies to Shakespeare.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

I remember reading something from a firearms expert, who mocked all those newly-baked experts drawing distinction between clips and magazines.  He said that for all his career, people called magazines clips and no one was either confused or bothered by it.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2016, 03:21:46 PM
QuoteThe Opinion Pages | Editorial

Missouri: The Shoot-Me State

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
SEPT. 16, 2016

In an alarming victory for the gun lobby, Missouri's Republican-controlled Legislature voted Wednesday to override Gov. Jay Nixon's veto and enact a wholesale retreat from gun safety in the state.

The law will let citizens carry concealed weapons in public without a state gun permit, criminal background check or firearms training. It strips local law enforcement of its current authority to deny firearms to those guilty of domestic violence and to other high-risk individuals. And it establishes a dangerous "stand your ground" standard that will allow gun owners to shoot and claim self-defense based on their own sense of feeling threatened.

The measure has drawn no great national attention, but it certainly provides further evidence that gun safety cannot be left to state lawmakers beholden to the gun lobby. Democrats opposed to the Missouri bill called it a "perfect storm" of lowered standards for the use of deadly force and an invitation for people to be armed without responsible controls. The measure was enacted by the Republicans, despite strong public opposition and warnings about the threat to public safety from the state Police Chiefs Association. Everytown for Gun Safety, one of the groups fighting the gun lobby, noted that stand your ground laws result in disproportionate harm to communities of color.

Mr. Nixon, a Democrat, vetoed the measure in June, saying it would allow individuals with a criminal record to legally carry a concealed firearm even though they had been, or would have been, denied a permit under the old law's background check. Mayors Sly James of Kansas City and Francis Slay of St. Louis warned against restricting the power of the local police to deny guns to those who commit domestic violence. They cited sharp spikes in domestic violence homicides in their cities, and they noted that the police would be left at greater risk by this bill.

Republican legislative leaders, who cut short debate on the override vote on the last day of the session, were ebullient in overriding a variety of the governor's vetoes beyond the gun measure, including one that will force voters to show a government photo ID.

Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal, a lawmaker from Ferguson, which erupted in protests after the 2014 fatal police shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed African-American teenager, warned that enacting the stand-your-ground standard would mean another "bad Samaritan like Zimmerman." She was referring to the shooting death in Florida four years ago of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teenager, by George Zimmerman; in that case the judge's instructions to the jury contained some of the language of the stand your ground law.

Missouri is joining 10 other states that loosened gun laws to allow concealed firearms in public without the need for a permit. Federal gun controls still require background checks on buyers, but only at federally licensed dealers. Unfortunately, there is a separate and busy uncontrolled market where buyers at gun shows and on the internet do not have to undergo background checks.

In the presidential campaign, Hillary Clinton has called for extensive gun safety measures, including a ban on the assault weapons favored by mass shooters, closing background-check loopholes, ending the gun industry's outrageous protection from civil damage suits and denying guns to risky suspects on the government's no-fly lists. Donald Trump, endorsed by the National Rifle Association, favors more armed civilians ready to engage in what he calls a defensive "shootout." This is one of the most pathetic measures yet of his pandering, when he should be leading, on an issue of vital importance to the public.

Best of luck out there in the Dumbfuckistan Tribal Areas, Raz.  Shoot straight.

Here's what passes for Political discourse here in Missouri https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wqOApBLPio
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2016, 12:20:41 PM
I remember reading something from a firearms expert, who mocked all those newly-baked experts drawing distinction between clips and magazines.  He said that for all his career, people called magazines clips and no one was either confused or bothered by it.

He's an idiot.