American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 06:16:19 PM
Yep, very pleasant. Almost feels like a toy after shooting a high powered rifle, though. I'd like to have one, but in 9mm.

This is one thing I always thought was kind of confusing.

I mean, why would you want an M1 in 9mm? Would that really still be an M-1? Isn't the caliber kind of part of what defines the weapon?

If you wanted a 9mm carbine, wouldn't it make more sense to just find a carbine designed for the 9mm to begin with?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2015, 06:24:52 PM

I mean, why would you want an M1 in 9mm? Would that really still be an M-1? Isn't the caliber kind of part of what defines the weapon?

If you wanted a 9mm carbine, wouldn't it make more sense to just find a carbine designed for the 9mm to begin with?

Fair question.  Basically, I like the look, feel, and sights of an M-1 Carbine but I'm not crazy about the .30 carbine round.  If I'm gonna fire a pistol round in a rifle, I'd prefer to it to be a round I already keep in stock and is very widely available.  I've seen M-1 Carbine clones in .22 and those would probably be fun to shoot as well.

And there aren't too many 9mm carbines out there.  Some AR 9mm kits are being made, but they are hard to get and there isn't yet a consensus on which system is the best.  And I think someone actually makes an M-1 Carbine in 9mm, or at least they were going to as of last year's SHOT Show.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

My bro had a Korean War era M-1 Carbine. Fucker sold it without giving me a shot at it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Also, I bought one of these .22 pistols for $130 delivered.  I was a little wary due to the low price, but they've gotten good reviews.  Didn't have time to shoot it yesterday.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 06:38:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2015, 06:24:52 PM

Fair question.  Basically, I like the look, feel, and sights of an M-1 Carbine but I'm not crazy about the .30 carbine round.  If I'm gonna fire a pistol round in a rifle, I'd prefer to it to be a round I already keep in stock and is very widely available.  I've seen M-1 Carbine clones in .22 and those would probably be fun to shoot as well.

And there aren't too many 9mm carbines out there.  Some AR 9mm kits are being made, but they are hard to get and there isn't yet a consensus on which system is the best.  And I think someone actually makes an M-1 Carbine in 9mm, or at least they were going to as of last year's SHOT Show.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I guess for some reason I kind of thought that caliber was one of those things that largely defined the weapon, but your right - the way to weapon operates, feels, performs, etc., etc. is much more relevant. Although, I guess there is a limit to how much you can mess with the caliber and still maintain those other things.

Learn something new every day!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 06:44:25 PM
Also, I bought one of these .22 pistols for $130 delivered.  I was a little wary due to the low price, but they've gotten good reviews.  Didn't have time to shoot it yesterday.

Oh cool.  Where did you get it from?  Gunbroker or something like that?

jimmy olsen

Let's give a ten year old girl an AK-47 and tell her to let it rip! :bleeding:

Camera man is lucky he didn't catch a round in the face. Admirable commitment to gender equality though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk-ZMjzcVa0&feature=player_embedded
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 16, 2015, 10:12:54 PM
Oh cool.  Where did you get it from?  Gunbroker or something like that?

From Classicfirearms.com-- had it shipped to a local transfer dealer.  Still have not shot it but I'm amazed at the quality for the price.  Made in the US, to boot.  You can order a .22 magnum cylinder, which I will probably do.

lustindarkness

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2015, 01:16:12 AM

Camera man is lucky he didn't catch a round in the face. Admirable commitment to gender equality though.

Bah, kids in Africa shoot them all the time.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 22, 2015, 08:47:23 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2015, 01:16:12 AM

Bah, kids in Africa shoot them all the time.

Bet that video ends up on a Korean Central News Agency broadcast about American capitalist child soldiers.

Ed Anger

I almost bought an Uzi today, just based on how bitchin' I looked holding it.

Then I remembered it is semi-auto and I passed.

Tonitrus

Fixed gif

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2015, 08:49:12 PM
I almost bought an Uzi today, just based on how bitchin' I looked holding it.

Then I remembered it is semi-auto and I passed.

Just pull the trigger a bunch of times really fast.  You won't know the difference!

Ed Anger