American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

It could also be a father/son thing.  I know that when I was young, I was remarkably uninterested in any kind of nudity when my parents were around.  :hmm:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on December 02, 2014, 10:58:23 AM
It'll probably be way overpriced locally anyway.  Just buy a spam can of it online.  Should last you a while.

I love the bolts on Mosins.  They're practically bomb-proof and easy to strip.  And I don't think I've ever come across a Mosin that was improperly headspaced.  What was the date and arsenal mark on yours?

I don't remember.  I will look when I get home.

I did buy some milsurp from Graf (they have 20-packs at the spam can unit price) but too many of the ranges around here are anti-milsurp/anti-FMJ.  I have only found one 50yd range within reasonable distance so far I can shoot it at, and that one is bench-only.

CountDeMoney

Can't wait to see vM go over the trench line to deal with a home invader in the hallway.  :lol:  FIX BAYONETS *TWEET*

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on December 02, 2014, 12:34:38 PM
:hmm: Very odd.  When I was his age, I'd give my left nut for a chance to play with real guns.  And being on a clumsy side, that probably would've been the outcome had I had the chance.
I would guess that he was probably afraid.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on December 02, 2014, 12:59:49 PM
:hmm: Very odd.  When I was his age, I'd give my left nut for a chance to play with real guns.  And being on a clumsy side, that probably would've been the outcome had I had the chance.
I would guess that he was probably afraid.

Sounds to me he wasn't terribly impressed.  Guns go pop.  Yay.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2014, 11:24:05 AM
So I went to my sisters for turkey day, and my brother in law had gotten himself a very nice AR-15 with all the bells and whistles.

Took the son (14) to the shooting range to try it out along with a couple handguns he has, a .40 and a 9mm of some kind or another.

My son has never fired a actual firearm, but he has a Airsoft AR-15 and plays a lot of Call of Duty, so he should be fine, right?

Give him some basic safety instruction while my two brothers in law shoot the AR-15. Then when it is his turn to give it a try...he refused. Said it looked "boring" and he wasn't interested.

Spent the next hour while we were shooting texting on his phone, refused to fire the rifle or the pistols.

Very odd, but I wasn't about to force him to try it.

Yeah, that's a teenager around his parent.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 02, 2014, 12:57:10 PM
I did buy some milsurp from Graf (they have 20-packs at the spam can unit price) but too many of the ranges around here are anti-milsurp/anti-FMJ.  I have only found one 50yd range within reasonable distance so far I can shoot it at, and that one is bench-only.

Yeah, I used to go to a range that was convinced that my surplus Russian ammo was steel core because it stuck to a magnet.  I tried explaining that it was lead core, copper-washed steel jacket but gave up & found a different range to shoot the stuff.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2014, 12:58:05 PM
Can't wait to see vM go over the trench line to deal with a home invader in the hallway.  :lol:  FIX BAYONETS *TWEET*

With the length of a M91/30 with bayo attached, I'm guessing he'd mostly be killing drywall :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on December 02, 2014, 01:16:37 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2014, 12:58:05 PM

With the length of a M91/30 with bayo attached, I'm guessing he'd mostly be killing drywall :D

I bet if I came out of the bedroom screaming bloody murder with that whomever was in the house would figure I was fucking nuts and do their best impression of Jesse Owens. :P  I was very surprised to see how long this rifle is, with and without bayonet.  And to think the M91 is even longer...

Anyway, my rifle is an Izhevsk 1943 model.  It has definitely been refurbed; the parts all have electropencil serial numbers except the barrel, which has a fresh stamped serial.  The magazine cover has a struck-through original serial.  All the arsenal marks I found match, though the original barrel markings are pretty faint.

derspiess

My 1943 Izzy has really rough machining marks, which I guess is indicative of a shortage of rifles at the front at some point that year.

Ed Anger

I want an Italian rifle. Only dropped once.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

My 11-year old nephew plays a lot of CoD.  And his dream job is not so much actual shooting, but to becoming an engineer and designing weapons of death for the military industrial complex.  :showoff:

Ed Anger

I'm already training my girls to be death machines. They can load their single shot Henry rifles now.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

So, I have to admit to being a little surprised that the recent shooting of the kid with the toy gun has not become a cause celebre with the open carry crowd. Granted, it was a toy gun, but that hardlly matter, right?

If it is a-ok to run around sporting a gun, then his being shot for doing so should be a huge deal for those who are very much in favor of the rights of people to carry their weapons around openly - so why no outrage over his being killed by the police for having a gun?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2014, 09:31:05 PM
so why no outrage over his being killed by the police for having a gun?

A shitload of Canadians were outraged, man.