American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'm puzzle by this bit:

QuoteDefense attorney Sam Cammack said Barajas didn't kill Banda and that he was only focused on saving his sons

Focused on saving his dead sons? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

I guess the police can now focus on finding the real killer.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Well yeah, at any rate, hard to have much sympathy for a drunk driver.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2014, 03:53:46 PM

Can you provide an example? All of this sounds rather vague and not really a strong argument against building nets to prevent jumpers and/or forcing people to accept treatment.

I totally think it's legit to put up nets and counseling is a really good idea, but I'm talking about altering the things that we put up structurally that prevent people from rebuilding lives that have been broken for one reason or another.

Get property taxes down so poor people are less likely to lose their homes and stop policies that inflate housing costs. Abolish the concept of alimony and put inflation-indexed caps on child support payments. Seal all criminal records and stop sentences that make it functionally too hard for people who have served their time to become productive members of society again. Might be a good idea to raise the minimum wage again too, since we've pumped up rent costs so badly. Or find some other way to ameliorate that problem. Make it easier for people to emigrate.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

I see. Though that might be even more vague as I think it might be more difficulty to establish say the extent to which alimony drives suicide. :P

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2014, 04:51:29 PM
I see. Though that might be even more vague as I think it might be more difficulty to establish say the extent to which alimony drives suicide. :P

Ask Robin Williams.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2014, 04:30:31 PM
I'm puzzle by this bit:

QuoteDefense attorney Sam Cammack said Barajas didn't kill Banda and that he was only focused on saving his sons

Focused on saving his dead sons? :unsure:

Didn't say they were killed instantly , so who knows.

And by that article, it looks like even if the prosecution's case was very plausible, it appears to have quite a good amount of evidence holes so as to make an easy case for reasonable doubt.

CountDeMoney

Sad, heartbreaking, and simply unnecessary.

QuoteGirl who accidentally shot her instructor with an Uzi said the gun was too much for her

The 9-year-old girl who accidentally shot and killed her shooting range instructor with an Uzi in Arizona last week said afterward that the gun "was too much for her," according to a police report.

This girl unintentionally shot Charles Vacca, an instructor at the Last Stop shooting range about an hour outside of Las Vegas, in the head on the morning of Aug. 25. He died that night, and the accident sparked a debate over whether such a young child should have been allowed to handle such a powerful weapon.

The new report, released by the Mohave County Sheriff's Department on Tuesday, sheds some new light on Vacca's death. Among other things, it reveals that the girl said immediately after firing the gun that it was too powerful for her and had hurt her, something that delayed her family from immediately realizing that Vacca had been shot.

Vacca had shown the girl how to fire the weapon, the range instructor told police, and she had gotten a couple of rounds off with Vacca's help before he let her hold the weapon on her own. At that point, the girl began shooting the gun, but "due to the recoil, the weapon went straight up in the air" and Vacca was struck in the left side of the head. Video footage, shot by the girl's mother and sent to police, captured Vacca setting the gun to "automatic" before he was killed.

The girl's father, who said he and his wife had brought their two daughters and son to the range from Las Vegas, said he had fired the gun before his daughter. He told police that after his daughter shot the Uzi, he thought she was injured because she was holding her shoulder. He said the family initially gathered around her, unaware that Vacca had been shot.

After the fatal shot was fired and the girl dropped the gun, she turned to her mother and told her that "the gun was too much for her and it hurt her shoulder," the mother told police. When they realized Vacca was wounded, the girl's parents took the family into the nearby restaurant to keep the children from seeing what was happening.

Meanwhile, the staff of the Last Stop told police that the release waivers the family had signed "were blown away by the wind after the incident had occurred." No criminal charges are pending, but the Arizona Division of Occupational Safety and Health has said it is investigating the shooting.

Vacca's family called the shooting "a tragic accident" in an interview with the "Today" show, adding that they feel sorry for the girl and her family. "We don't want their life to revolve around this," Vacca's daughter Ashley said in the interview.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2014, 10:58:40 AM
It is one thing for a tea party member to scream about original intent and practices at the time of authorship with the constitution--they might not mind an 18th / 19th century government. But for an atheist with libertarian tendencies...that seems a bit short sighted.

But berkut wasn't talking about "original intent and practices at the time of authorship".  He was talking about centuries of practice, precedent and interpretation subsequent.
We don't really know what the original intent was because neither the framers nor anyone else at the time had much to say about the amendment or its purpose.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Here's a book for this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Parents-Open-Carry-Brian-Jeffs/dp/1618081012/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

"My Parents Open Carry" the kid's book that explains why packing heat everywhere is good thing

Need to explain to the kids why you and Dad need to go around strapped while shopping and taking them to the pool? Your answer is here!

QuoteCome join 13-year-old Brenna Strong along with her mom, Bea, and her dad, Richard, as they spend a typical Saturday running errands and having fun together. What's not so typical is that Brenna's parents lawfully open carry handguns for self-defense. The Strongs join a growing number of families that are standing up for their 2nd Amendment rights by open carrying and bringing gun ownership out of the closet and into the mainstream. 

From the Amazon reviews

QuoteI'd like to propose that the author create an entire children's book series along these lines. Some suggested titles:

By Eric Heidleon August 21, 2014

"Green Eggs and BLAM"

"Clifford, the Big Red Target"

"Where the Wild Things Get Shot in a Tragic Case of Mistaken Identity"

"Where's Waldo's Walther?"

"The Lion, the Witch, and the Innocent Bystander"

"Harry Potter and the Desert-Cammo AR-15 Buildout with Telescoping Stock and Tactical Red-Dot Reticle Sighting Platform"

"The Little Engine That Could Reload"

"Diary of a Wimpy Kid Who Decided to Get Strapped and Fight Back 

;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Anyone seen or got a comment on the Army sniper record holder, killed at a gun range yesterday?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on September 14, 2014, 04:36:37 PM
Anyone seen or got a comment on the Army sniper record holder, killed at a gun range yesterday?
Another one?  Or you talking about the story that happened long before yesterday?

CountDeMoney

QuoteTAMPA (Reuters) - A 51-year-old Florida man shot dead his daughter and six grandchildren in his home before killing himself on Thursday, authorities said.

Don Spirit, identified by authorities as the suspect, called the 911 emergency line and killed himself after a sheriff's deputy arrived at the scene, Gilchrist County Sheriff Robert Schultz said.

Everyone in the house was killed, Schultz said. The youngest child was less than three months old and the oldest was 10 years old, he added.

"We're all family here. What can you say?" Schultz said. "There are certain things in life that you can explain, there are certain things that you can't. This is not one that I can explain."

The incident occurred near Bell, a town of about 500 located roughly 35 miles (56 km) west of Gainesville.

The dead woman was identified as Sarah Spirit, 28, the mother of all six of the children, three boys and three girls.

The crime scene was still being investigated on Thursday night.

"We have no indication what caused this man to do what he did," said Schultz. "We may never know."

Schultz said officers had been called to the house before, but there were "no signs or indications to us previously that anything like this could or was going to happen."

Don Spirit, a New Jersey native, had an extensive criminal history, public records show, including convictions for possession of illegal weapons, drug possession, battery and depriving a child of food and shelter.

In 2001, Spirit shot his 8-year-old son to death in what was determined to be a hunting accident, the Orlando Sentinel newspaper reported.

He pleaded guilty to possessing a firearm as a convicted felon in connection with the case and was sentenced in a plea deal to three years in prison, the paper reported.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall