American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Firing a big-ass gun seems like anything but boring for a 14 year old.  I was a ninety-pound 13 year-old when my friend's crazy uncle took us out into his woods to blast away at stumps with his 44 Magnum and Desert Eagle, and my own crazy uncle put my behind a 12 gauge the same year.

Definitely exciting, nerve-wracking, and ultimately a great time; but I was scared shitless (especially of the shotgun recoil busting my face open), and only intense social pressure got me through it.  My guess is that your son was, quite naturally given his age/size, just a little too afraid, Berk.  I'm sure you could help him over it, if you had any interest in getting him to shoot.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Got my snap caps along with real ammunition for the Mosin yesterday.  My rifle has a very... aggressive shell extraction system.  I think the flying shell casings would do as much damage as my .22. :P

derspiess

I never used snap caps for my Mosins.  I just dry-fire the hell out of them and never have any problem with the firing pin. 

I never really paid much attention to how far they fling brass.  Gonna check that out next time at the range :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I bought snap caps because I wanted to be able to test the entire firing cycle while actually passing rounds through the weapon.

I was also paranoid about the firing pin. :P

derspiess

Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution.  I probably jinxed myself now and will break a firing pin sometime soon :D

I have spare bolt parts from when Century was selling "U Fix Em" Mosins for $20-$30 several years ago, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

:lol:

QuotePew poll: Support for gun rights exceeds gun control
By Kendall Breitman
12/10/14 3:59 PM EST

For the first time in over 20 years, Americans support gun rights more than gun control.

In a Pew Research poll released Wednesday, 52 percent are in support of the protection of gun rights and 46 percent support gun control. This is the first time in two decades that Pew has found more support for gun rights than gun control.

Backing for gun rights has been on the rise since January 2013, when it had 45 percent supporting protections. During that time period, support for gun control also fell from 51 percent to its current standing.

Fifty-seven percent of those polled said that owning a gun allows for greater protection against crime. Thirty-eight percent said owning a gun is dangerous for personal safety.

Support for gun rights is found mostly among whites, with 61 percent of white Americans backing protections. Gun control is more popular among minorities, gaining 60 percent of black support and 71 percent of Hispanic support. But more than half of the black population polled for the survey — 54 percent — said that guns protect the lives of their owners rather than endanger them.

The survey was conducted between Dec. 3-7 among 1,507 adults and has a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points.

Syt

Guns don't kill people - toddlers do!

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2014/12/woman-shot-killed-by-2-year-old-at-walmart/

QuoteMom Shot, Killed by 2-Year-Old Son at Walmart

(HAYDEN, Idaho) -- A young mother was shot and killed by her 2-year-old son Tuesday in an Idaho Walmart, police said.

Lt. Stu Miller of the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office said that the boy was sitting in the shopping cart when he pulled the handgun from his mom's purse and pulled the trigger. The victim, whose name hasn't been released, was 29 years old.

The preliminary investigation shows the shooting was an accident, Miller said. He added that the victim is from out of town and may have been visiting relatives for the holidays. The boy is currently with family.

She was shopping in the electronics section of the Hayden, Idaho, store, about 40 miles from Spokane, Washington, when the shooting happened Tuesday morning. The store was immediately evacuated and will be closed until Wednesday. The investigation is ongoing.

"A very sad and tragic incident happened in our Hayden store involving a female customer, and we're working with the local sheriff's department while they investigate what happened," Walmart spokesperson Brooke Buchanan said in a statement to ABC News Tuesday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

When my parents were visiting I brought my SIG-522 out to show my dad.  Then, I brought my Beretta out and for some reason my mom flipped the fuck out.

Assault rifles = Ok
Pistols = BAD

(Ok, calling the SIG an assault rifle is kind of stretch but it does look exactly like the SIG-556. :blush: )
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Parents always treat you like you're 2 years old. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on December 31, 2014, 07:58:02 AM
When my parents were visiting I brought my SIG-522 out to show my dad.  Then, I brought my Beretta out and for some reason my mom flipped the fuck out.

Assault rifles = Ok
Pistols = BAD

(Ok, calling the SIG an assault rifle is kind of stretch but it does look exactly like the SIG-556. :blush: )

Maybe it's a nurturing thing, maternal instincts clashing with the display of instruments of death?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Maybe.  I assumed it was a hippie liberal retired teacher thing. :hmm:

lustindarkness

Did she flip out before or after the gun fell apart in your hands?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on December 31, 2014, 07:58:02 AM

Assault rifles = Ok
Pistols = BAD

I'm sure she figured out the SIG was a .22 :P