American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2013, 10:16:46 AM
Shoot it.  But yeah, some gun stores would probably buy it.

You have to be a good shot hit a bullet with another bullet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2013, 07:12:05 AM

Nah, just takes a few tries.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2013, 07:12:05 AM

Not if you drop the bullet down the barrel.  :)

CountDeMoney

Sneaked it into the Costanza's garage, despite being told not to.  Mislabeled the box as "BUWWETS" so Mom can't figure out what's in it.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 18, 2013, 06:18:20 PM
Sneaked it into the Costanza's garage, despite being told not to.  Mislabeled the box as "BUWWETS" so Mom can't figure out what's in it.

Mental picure: CdM writing that label while wearing his bunny suit.  :D

Oh, what a wascally wabbit!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2013, 01:28:11 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 18, 2013, 06:18:20 PM

Mental picure: CdM writing that label while wearing his bunny suit.  :D

Oh, what a wascally wabbit!
:lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Here's the spike that hangs out around my property. Apples for breakfast.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

QuoteFather charged after 2-year-old fatally shoots herself

(CNN) -- A 2-year-old girl fatally shot herself in Fayetteville, North Carolina, over the weekend, and the toddler's father faces involuntary manslaughter charges, police said.

Melvin Andre Clark Jr., 19, who was arrested Sunday, also was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, Fayetteville police spokesman Lt. Todd Joyce said.

The girl, Samarri Tyana Beauford, was playing in the living room of the home where she lived with her aunt and grandmother Saturday when she found a loaded .22-caliber pistol that police say Clark had left under the couch, Joyce said.

Joyce would not comment on where the toddler shot herself but said, "A child that small, they don't have the strength to pull a trigger with their index finger, but they are strong enough to use pressure from their two thumbs.

"Typically, they'll be looking at the weapon when these things happen."

The toddler was taken about 12:30 p.m. to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, where she died, CNN affiliate WRAL reported. No one else was injured, the station said.

Clark was being held in the Cumberland County Detention Center on a $50,000 secured bond, Joyce said.

He appeared in court Monday, and his case was continued until November 7, according to the county clerk's office. No attorney was had been assigned to his case.

Police pursued the involuntary manslaughter charge because Samarri was killed in a "reckless or careless manner" or via a "heedless indifference" to the safety of others, Joyce said.

Several outstanding warrants were found when police ran Clark's name, including misdemeanor cruelty to animals, larceny and marijuana possession charges, police said, and Clark had been sentenced on convictions of breaking and entering, larceny and possession of a firearm by a minor.

This is at least the third instance since June of a child dying from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

In New Orleans, a 5-year-old girl died June 23 after she came "into contact with a .38-caliber revolver and accidentally shot herself in the head" while her mother was at a store, police said.

The girl's mother was charged with cruelty to a juvenile until the 5-year-old died, at which point prosecutors added a second-degree murder charge. A judge in the case threw out the murder indictment last month, and the district attorney's office said it would appeal the decision, CNN affiliate WDSU reported.

In August, a 3-year-old boy in Dundee, Michigan, found a .40-caliber handgun belonging to a family friend on a closet floor in his home. He died after accidentally shooting himself in the head, police said. The family friend was charged with careless discharge of a weapon, a misdemeanor.

Less than two weeks ago, 2-year-old Michael Garcia Jr. was taken to a hospital after shooting himself in the legs with a .45-caliber handgun registered to his mother, according to CNN affiliate WFTV. The boy's injuries were not life-threatening, and the boy's father was charged with child neglect, the station reported.

According to the CDC's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 703 children under the age of 15 died in accidental firearms deaths between 2001 and 2010, the latest year for which the agency's statistics on fatalities are available.

During the same period, 7,766 children under the age of 14 suffered accidental firearm injuries -- about one injury for every million children.

CountDeMoney

Quote5-year-old Texas boy accidentally kills himself with napping babysitter's gun
By M. Alex Johnson, Staff Writer, NBC News

Melissa Ann Ringhardt, 19, of Vidor, Texas, was charged with abandoning or endangering a child after 5-year-old John Read shot and killed himself with her gun Monday, authorities said.

A teenage babysitter was arrested Tuesday and charged in the death of a 5-year-old Texas boy who accidentally shot himself with the babysitter's gun while she was napping, authorities said.

Melissa Ann Ringhardt, 19, of Vidor was being held in the Orange County Jail on a felony charge of abandoning or endangering a child, the county sheriff's office said in a statement. She could face a sentence of six months to two years if convicted.

The sheriff's office said Ringhardt, who lives with the boy's family, left her semiautomatic .40-caliber handgun on a coffee table when she went into a bedroom to take a nap Monday afternoon. When she woke up, she couldn't immediately find the boy, identified as John Read, according to the sheriff's office. She eventually discovered him dead in the living room, it said.

Because the home has no telephone, Ringhardt carried John and a 6-month-old child, whom she was also watching and who wasn't identified, about a block to his grandparents' home to call 911, the sheriff's office said. John was declared dead there when emergency crews arrived.

The 6-month-old child wasn't injured.

Ringhardt told investigators she had the gun because she was frightened of being home alone, according to NBC affiliate KBMT K-JAC. 

"People have the right to bear arms, and with that comes great responsibility," Orange County sheriff's Chief Deputy Clint Hodgkinson told KFDM-TV of Beaumont. "If someone, somehow, puts a firearm in a place where a child is able to get that weapon, you've committed an offense."

"Sometimes, it takes something like this — as tragic as it is — for people to reflect on those things, and these are the opportunities you take ... to say, 'Look, what could we have done?'" Hodgkinson said.

The Brain

What is it with teen criminals and guns? Why can't they act responsibly?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

NRA Calls For Teachers To Keep Loaded Gun Pointed At Class For Entire School Day

QuoteFAIRFAX, VA—In the wake of Monday's tragic Nevada school shooting in which a 12-year-old student killed a teacher and wounded two classmates, representatives from the National Rifle Association pushed for all teachers around the country to keep a loaded gun pointed at their classes throughout the school day. "The only way to ensure safety in our schools is to make sure teachers hold fully loaded firearms at students from the moment they walk into the classroom until the moment they leave," said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, explaining that educators should, at the very least, point one 9mm semiautomatic pistol at the class while also keeping a concealed .357 magnum revolver and several spare cartridges of ammo nearby at all times. "If teachers need to write on the board or turn the page of a textbook, they should always use their free hand while keeping the gun at face level of all students and holding one finger firmly on the trigger. Frankly, this is just common sense if we want to prevent these tragedies like Nevada from happening again in the future." LaPierre added that for maximum security, teachers should give all lessons from underneath their desks while blindly firing a semiautomatic M4 carbine assault rifle in all directions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive