Started by Martinus, October 25, 2011, 04:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2011, 02:54:53 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 26, 2011, 02:45:25 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2011, 01:30:37 AM
:lol:

What an asshole.

But again, my claim is that no matter what you think about Steve Jobs in terms of his greatness, his personality should not enter the picture at all. Noone cares if Leonardo da Vinci was a histrionic sugar daddy to urchins or that Isaak Newton was a petty asshole who feuded most of his life with Leibnitz.

See, this is the problem right there. Da Vinci? Newton? Being compared to Jobs?

Jobs was an exceptionally successful BUSINESSMAN.  He knew how to package gadgets and monopolized the market of luxury tech devices on the virtue of arriving there first. I respect his succes, but if we raise him to godhood, what about Rockefeller, the old Murdoch, Gates, Hilton, Ford etc?

Can you read? I expressly put there a caveat "no matter what you think of Steve Jobs", so some idiot does not come up with a counter like that.

How does that make any sense then? "no matter what you think of Steve Jobs, he was great"? que?

Syt

Eh, Tamas, much as it pains me, I have to side with Mart here. He says clearly:
Quotemy claim is that no matter what you think about Steve Jobs in terms of his greatness, his personality should not enter the picture at all

So any discussion of his legacy (or anyone else's) should in his opinion focus on his achievements (or lack thereof), not his character. Whether that's how it should be is debatable, of course.

Personally, I'd liken Steve Jobs more to people like Henry Ford than Leonardo DaVinci. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 26, 2011, 03:36:26 AM
Eh, Tamas, much as it pains me, I have to side with Mart here. He says clearly:
Quotemy claim is that no matter what you think about Steve Jobs in terms of his greatness, his personality should not enter the picture at all

So any discussion of his legacy (or anyone else's) should in his opinion focus on his achievements (or lack thereof), not his character.

-when one is being stood on a pedestal as a Great Man his personality should not be ignored

-my original point was that Marty specifically said that if we don't care what kind of person Da Vinci or Newton was, we shouldnt care for Jobs either. Which is wrong on some levels, most notably on the fact of thinking that Jobs contributed to culture and science on the levels of those dudes.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on October 26, 2011, 03:45:44 AM
-when one is being stood on a pedestal as a Great Man his personality should not be ignored

-my original point was that Marty specifically said that if we don't care what kind of person Da Vinci or Newton was, we shouldnt care for Jobs either. Which is wrong on some levels, most notably on the fact of thinking that Jobs contributed to culture and science on the levels of those dudes.
And I would note that, when Marti says "Noone [sic] cares" he is really saying only that he doesn't care, and that he lacks the intellectual capability to imagine that there are people who don't think like hie does.

Some people do care about things like personal traits when considering "greatness."  That Marti cannot conceive of this says everything about Marti and nothing about the subject.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 26, 2011, 01:41:35 AM
Lamenting about the pussification of society might have more credibility if the source wasn't people's bitching about an Apple executive. Cause you know, Macs -> hipster -> wuss. This causation chain will be proven irrevocably when BB starts arguing for legalization of medical marijuana.  :cool:

All fucking potheads should fucking hang.   :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Don't you get a government pension Grumbler?  I thought you were once a federal employee.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2011, 08:52:47 AM
Don't you get a government pension Grumbler?  I thought you were once a federal employee.

So you mean grumbler may not be totally serious about wanting all government employees to be executed via hanging?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2011, 04:49:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2011, 04:21:48 PM
I read recently an article which claimed that Steve Jobs's "greatness" is questionable because he was a "bully".

Cite?

Still waiting for a reference on this . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2011, 09:01:37 AM
So you mean grumbler may not be totally serious about wanting all government employees to be executed via hanging?
True.  I left out "Canadian" in the phrase, assuming that everyone would understand that that was implied.

Bayraktar!

dps

All this talk about being hung from BB and grumbler must be because they are compensating for something.

:P