The Iraq War Poll

Started by Viking, October 22, 2011, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did we win the Iraq War?

Yes, the enemy was Saddam and Al-Qaeda.
8 (12.7%)
Yes, we broke it and we fixed it.
11 (17.5%)
The cost was too high, it was a Pyrrhic Victory.
31 (49.2%)
We lost and we are lucky we are not evacuating the Green Zone by Huey.
4 (6.3%)
OMG BU$HITLER NO WMD!!!!1111oneoneone
5 (7.9%)
Jaron
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Iormlund

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 22, 2011, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 22, 2011, 04:03:04 PM
No WMDs were found, Islamic terrorism didn't cease and the democracy-domino theory proved itself an illusion. In fact the head of the only regime that changed course since was killed by its own revolting citizens this very week.
Tunisia and Eygpt don't count?

Certainly not. High food prices and the self-immolation of a young grocery salesman have much more to do with those events, that actually toppled allied regimes.

Josquius

I thought the concensus was that the Iraq war had delayed the Arab spring and it should have happened a few years back.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2011, 09:52:31 PM
I thought the concensus was that the Iraq war had delayed the Arab spring and it should have happened a few years back.

That's because you're an idiot.

Josquius

Quote from: dps on October 22, 2011, 10:02:40 PM

What a convincing counter argument.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2011, 10:06:11 PM

It wasn't an argument, it was an insult.

Razgovory

Your statement was an appeal to the masses, simply calling you an idiot is sufficient.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 22, 2011, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 22, 2011, 04:03:04 PM
No WMDs were found, Islamic terrorism didn't cease and the democracy-domino theory proved itself an illusion. In fact the head of the only regime that changed course since was killed by its own revolting citizens this very week.
Tunisia and Eygpt don't count?

No.  I do remember when conservatives crowed about the Cedar Revolution as vindication of the Bush policy.  That stopped after the war between Israel and Lebanon started.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2011, 03:51:59 PM
I wasn't aware Iceland participated in the Iraq war.

google Coalition of the Willing BEEYOTCH

Iceland is a good and loyal (also completely disarmed) ally unlike Norway under Stoltenberg
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Quote from: Viking on October 22, 2011, 11:13:56 PM

Iceland is a good and loyal (also completely disarmed) ally unlike Norway under Stoltenberg

What do you mean?
Does Iceland have an army? Can you own arms in Iceland?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: Siege on October 23, 2011, 01:00:37 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 22, 2011, 11:13:56 PM

What do Iceland have an army? Can you own arms in Iceland?

you missed the bolded bit apparently..

Iceland does NOT have any form of military of it's own. It relies completely on NATO for its defense. Iceland does contribute to NATO and international operations by organizing personnel to participate in support roles though the Norwegian and Danish Military as well as UN peacekeeping forces.

To bear arms in iceland you need a gun license. To get the gun license you need to have about 200 US dollars, spend 3 afternoons taking a gun safety course, have a police and doctors certificate. The police issues the gun license. With that license you can get hunting rifles and shot-guns, though, if you don't actually hunt you can expect your license to be withdrawn. Pistols are not illegal, but require a special license which will almost certainly NOT be issued to anybody other than the Police Weapons squad and the security personnel of certain visiting dignitaries.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

QuoteIt wasn't an argument, it was an insult.
i.e. you are in fact the idiot.

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2011, 11:02:45 PM

Your statement was an appeal to the masses, simply calling you an idiot is sufficient.

An appeal to the masses? What?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on October 23, 2011, 02:21:25 AM
QuoteIt wasn't an argument, it was an insult.
i.e. you are in fact the idiot.

Sounds a lot like "I know you are but what am I?"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Quote from: Maximus on October 22, 2011, 04:26:23 PM
For the record I voted victory. I supported the war for the purposes of removing Saddam and co and we were successful in that.

:yes:

Razgovory

Tamas

Guys, I am as much of a supporter of American dominance as you can be without actually living there (imho, balance of power is bullshit and leads to world wars, and among the candidates, the US is by far the best option for a single superpower), but how can you possibly call Iraq a victory?

Because you defeated Saddam's military? Was that ever a question prior to the launch of the offensive? That after 5 years of Vietnam-reenaction your leaders figured out the "innovative" strategem of bribing one half of the tribals to help supress the other half?
A "democracy" which is divided among the main lines of the country? A once strong barrier in front of your biggest regional threat, Iran, now on a near-guaranteed course to become Iran's puppet? Or a counry which is supposedly independent and stable enough to see the US go, yet just this week about ten thousand Turkish soldiers raided it's Kurdish citizens?
And I won't even mention the tremendious PR loss the US suffered because of the whole campaign.

This was a victory in the strictest tactical military sense, but a disaster strategically.