The Iraq War Poll

Started by Viking, October 22, 2011, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did we win the Iraq War?

Yes, the enemy was Saddam and Al-Qaeda.
8 (12.7%)
Yes, we broke it and we fixed it.
11 (17.5%)
The cost was too high, it was a Pyrrhic Victory.
31 (49.2%)
We lost and we are lucky we are not evacuating the Green Zone by Huey.
4 (6.3%)
OMG BU$HITLER NO WMD!!!!1111oneoneone
5 (7.9%)
Jaron
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Viking

So, now that the troops are leaving we (as in the west) must decide was it a win, was it a costly win, was it a pyrrhic victory, was it a defeat that we try to pretend is a victory by withdrawing, or was the war itself so corrupt that victory was impossible.

Vote away.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Broke/fixed.  We definitely won, in that our goals were to topple Saddam and leave behind an at least partially-functioning democracy.  Whether that victory will bear long-lasting results is the question.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Quote from: Habbaku on October 22, 2011, 11:34:05 AM
Broke/fixed.  We definitely won, in that our goals were to topple Saddam and leave behind an at least partially-functioning democracy.  Whether that victory will bear long-lasting results is the question.

Pretty much what I was going to say.  We met our war goals, but it will be years until we know if what we rebuilt will stand.

Mr.Penguin

Broke and kind of fixed it and now it's time for the Iraqis to be on their own again, for better or worse...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

The Brain

Victory. The odd rusty artillery shell with gas was dealt a fatal blow before it could make its 45 min attack.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Unquestionably a victory but yeah, very pyrrhic. Nothing really gained and quite a bit lost.
██████
██████
██████

citizen k

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2011, 12:16:38 PM
Unquestionably a victory but yeah, very pyrrhic. Nothing really gained and quite a bit lost.

How can it be a victory when nothing was gained?

The Brain

Quote from: citizen k on October 22, 2011, 01:11:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2011, 12:16:38 PM

How can it be a victory when nothing was gained?

:huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I voted Pyrrhic though, I'm not sure what we gained.  I'm not entirely sure what the original goal was.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Well, it showed us that the age of the superpowers has ended.  You can't argue that the US achieved what they meant to, but they also were diminished in the doing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

I wasn't aware Iceland participated in the Iraq war.

Iormlund

No WMDs were found, Islamic terrorism didn't cease and the democracy-domino theory proved itself an illusion. In fact the head of the only regime that changed course since was killed by its own revolting citizens this very week.

Maximus

An interesting question(to me at least) is whether the Arab spring would have resulted in a chain of events similar to Libya or Syria even if we hadn't gone in. And if it had, would that be better or worse than the occupation, given that Iraq seems to have been largely untouched by the Arab spring.

For the record I voted victory. I supported the war for the purposes of removing Saddam and co and we were successful in that.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Iormlund on October 22, 2011, 04:03:04 PM
No WMDs were found, Islamic terrorism didn't cease and the democracy-domino theory proved itself an illusion. In fact the head of the only regime that changed course since was killed by its own revolting citizens this very week.
Tunisia and Eygpt don't count?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 22, 2011, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 22, 2011, 04:03:04 PM
Tunisia and Eygpt don't count?
Those regimes didn't change course, they were toppled.

In any event, I'm not sure how American threats of violence contributed to the Arab Spring, except perhaps to encourage Islamists to oppose American imperialism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.