News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So just who is the 99%?

Started by Barrister, October 20, 2011, 02:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habsburg

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2011, 02:51:22 PM
I got to wondering.  I make a pretty decent income these days, and now that my wife is working our household income is pretty healthy.  But does that make us the hated 1%?

Anyone know income or asset percentiles in Canada, the US, and the rest of the world?

How many of Languishites are in the 1%?

If you make over 500,000 USD per year you are in the 1%.

I sincerely doubt anyone on Languish is in the 1%.

60 Animals in Ohio used to be in the 99%.  Until bad people murdered them.

Ideologue

To seriously answer the question, Joan, Martinus and Peter probably are, but I doubt anyone else.  Maybe Malthus, but it's hard to have substantial net assets when you spend money like that.

Joan has proper economic views, though, so he's honorary.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2011, 03:22:34 PM
I probably don't know anybody in the 1%. Which is good when it comes to being mad at them. Easier that way.

I think their anger at the rich is pretty misplaced (well it is for most of them, I am sure there are plenty of powerful people who deserve anger being directed their way).  The problems lay in the system in general.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Also 99% of what.  If the world population is considered the number would drop a lot.  My guess is that most here would be in the 1%

garbon

Quote from: garbon on October 20, 2011, 03:02:29 PM
Quote from: ulmont on October 20, 2011, 02:55:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2011, 02:51:22 PM
I got to wondering.  I make a pretty decent income these days, and now that my wife is working our household income is pretty healthy.  But does that make us the hated 1%?

Nah.  Assuming your wife makes the same salary as you, you hit about the 4% mark in the U.S.

There's a calculator here:
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/10/19/what-percent-are-you/?mod=wsj_share_twitter

You have to hit about $500K as a household to be in the hated 1%.

That's not what CNN is saying.  CNN says that in 2009 - you just had to have 343k.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/20/news/economy/occupy_wall_street_income/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

Also I don't know about trusting a financial samurai but that site has a similar figure for 2010:

Based on the Internal Revenue Service's 2010 database below, here's how much the top Americans make:

Top 1%: $380,354

Top 5%: $159,619

Top 10%: $113,799

Top 25%: $67,280

Top 50%: >$33,048

http://www.financialsamurai.com/2011/04/12/how-much-money-do-the-top-income-earners-make-percent/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habsburg

Hmmm, Bloomberg reported 500K. 

Ideologue

Is that household or individual, garb?

Also, the author is a cunt. LOL $20,000 AT MCD'S HUZZAH!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 20, 2011, 03:44:19 PM
Also I don't know about trusting a financial samurai but that site has a similar figure for 2010:

Based on the Internal Revenue Service's 2010 database below, here's how much the top Americans make:

Top 1%: $380,354

Top 5%: $159,619

Top 10%: $113,799

Top 25%: $67,280

Top 50%: >$33,048

http://www.financialsamurai.com/2011/04/12/how-much-money-do-the-top-income-earners-make-percent/
This goes back to my earlier question:  how is income defined?  These numbers are AGIs, which can be different from gross income.  My AGI is significantly less than my gross income, which itself it less than my total compensation package.  The smallest number is 2/3 of the largest number, although I think the absolute value of the difference can only go so high.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2011, 03:41:17 PM
Also 99% of what.  If the world population is considered the number would drop a lot.  My guess is that most here would be in the 1%

I think the Occupy Wall Street thing is based mostly on the wealth of Americans. The notion that one percent of the poulation holds the majority of the wealth.
I don't even think that this is true even in Canada---yet.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Drakken

Do you get to enjoy the privileges of unlimited power because you are so filthy rich that you are nigh-on untouchable and you have access to the movers and shakers of this world?

If not, you are in the 99%. It has nothing to do with income ratio, but power, influence, and almost unaccountability to the law associated to immense wealth. It's like asking who's the many in the expression "the need of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2011, 03:41:17 PM

My overwhelming political power resulting from my wealth has enabled me to control Cameroon.  They dance at my word.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on October 20, 2011, 04:06:24 PM
Do you get to enjoy the privileges of unlimited power because you are so filthy rich that you are nigh-on untouchable and you have access to the movers and shakers of this world?

:shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2011, 04:19:54 PM
Quote from: Drakken on October 20, 2011, 04:06:24 PM

:shifty:

Never underestimate the might of Machiavellan prosecutors.

Zanza

Individuals or married couples (the tax statistic doesn't distinguish) that make more than 172,000 Euro (~$235,000) a year are among the top 1% of German incomes according to the latest statistics. If that's the criterion, I belong to the 99%.

Jacob

I'm pretty sure that it comes out of that stat that 1% of the US population controls more than 50% of the wealth.

So it's not about income, it's about assets, and it's not about poor people in other countries.