News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So just who is the 99%?

Started by Barrister, October 20, 2011, 02:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I got to wondering.  I make a pretty decent income these days, and now that my wife is working our household income is pretty healthy.  But does that make us the hated 1%?

Anyone know income or asset percentiles in Canada, the US, and the rest of the world?

How many of Languishites are in the 1%?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

citizen k

I would imagine many millionaires are in the 99%. At least in U.S.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2011, 02:51:22 PM
I got to wondering.  I make a pretty decent income these days, and now that my wife is working our household income is pretty healthy.  But does that make us the hated 1%?

Nah.  Assuming your wife makes the same salary as you, you hit about the 4% mark in the U.S.

There's a calculator here:
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/10/19/what-percent-are-you/?mod=wsj_share_twitter

You have to hit about $500K as a household to be in the hated 1%.

The Brain

Is the 99% shit based on household income? Wow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

What counts as a household income?  Your salary, the total value of your compensation package, or the AGI on your 1040?

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on October 20, 2011, 02:55:23 PM

Nah.  Assuming your wife makes the same salary as you, you hit about the 4% mark in the U.S.

There's a calculator here:
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/10/19/what-percent-are-you/?mod=wsj_share_twitter

You have to hit about $500K as a household to be in the hated 1%.

That's not what CNN is saying.  CNN says that in 2009 - you just had to have 343k.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/20/news/economy/occupy_wall_street_income/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

My wife's income is significantly less than mine, actually.

But I suspect that the stats are different for Canada.  Thanks for the link though ulmont.  In the US I'm at the 94th percentile.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2011, 02:52:48 PM
Almost everyone is.

That said I think it is pretty presumptuous of the protestors to claim to speak for everyone but the top 1%.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Wait, when did Martinus get married to a girl?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Anyone know income or asset percentiles in Canada, the US, and the rest of the world?

I think it is supposed to reflect the people whose wealth give them a disproportionate access to power and so forth not just having bags of cash.  Especially not for those us who, you know, work for wages.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 20, 2011, 03:03:20 PM
That said I think it is pretty presumptuous of the protestors to claim to speak for everyone but the top 1%.

They do not even really speak for each other.  Like any protest there are lots of people with different issues but with a general dissatisfaction with how things are run, just like the early Tea Party.  At least that will be the case until the Democrats co-opt them, just like the Tea Party, which is already in progress.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2011, 03:12:50 PM

I think it is supposed to reflect the people whose wealth give them a disproportionate access to power and so forth not just having bags of cash.  Especially not for those us who, you know, work for wages.

I know what it is supposed to reflect.

But they picked a real number to act as that symbol.  Which got me to wondering...  I found a few old figures for Canada that would put me in the top 1%, but how much have things chaged in the last 10 years?

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2011, 03:16:22 PM
But they picked a real number to act as that symbol.

Well there is not like a central committee of the Wall Street protests so their catchy slogans do not necessarily represent careful political and statistical studies.

But I do think things have changed alot in the past 10 years.  Ten years of inflation for one.

MadImmortalMan

I probably don't know anybody in the 1%. Which is good when it comes to being mad at them. Easier that way.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers